News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Asus ROG Zephyrus G16 2024 review - The gaming laptop now with G-Sync OLED and Intel Meteor Lake

Started by Redaktion, February 06, 2024, 16:32:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruv settle down

Quote from: Gastredner on February 09, 2024, 09:55:00The spiral of absurd ultra-thin builds goes into the next round... but apparently there are always enough "fools" who fall for the cheap ultra-thin scam.

Uhh, you do realize the whole point of their Ultra series was to market them for thin and lights, right? Those desktop replacement notebooks you want aren't going anywhere, you can still buy them. They're now just called the 14900hx or that 1 zen4 x3d asus rog strix scar laptop with 3 hour battery life while idling.

John Wick

The design: Top notch
Performance: Ok
Loudness level: Gaming laptop
Price: Outrageously high ($2300CAD for base model: Ultra7+RTX4060+16GB+512GB)

I know performance is not the best in its class, and honestly I wouldn't expect it to be with such a thin chassis. But for me, it is more than enough, I'm a software developer, and all I care is smooth development experience with IDE and 100 browser tabs open, and some casual gaming in the free time.

I wish Asus would rethink their price point and reduce it to an adequate amount for a laptop with worse performance and last-year hardware inside. Plus, 16GB? Really?

If it drops to $1800CAD or so, I will probably get it though.

NikoB

There are obvious problems with the screen.

The author himself pointed out in the review the poor calibration results and therefore did not even indicate dE after calibration. Obviously it is much higher than 2.

The author did not measure the real native contrast. That means he's bad. Why is this obvious?
Because Asus did not carry out certification for although
True Black HDR 400 (displayhdr.org/#tab-true-black-400). And this certification requires 400 nits of peak brightness and no more than 0.0005 nits of black level. Which gives requirements for native contrast of at least 800,000:1. Which is obviously not the case here.
Judging by the subpixel structure, the screen clearly has problems with the declared resolution.

It also amuses me that the authors of new reviews suddenly began measuring fake 960Hz PWM, on the same old matrices, where this had not previously happened. Obviously this data is fake. Let me remind you once again that if on AMOLED matrices you increase the glow time in a 1 second period (increase the duty cycle) with an increase in the PWM frequency, it will lead to faster burnout. Even if such matrices appear without a qualitative improvement in the lifetime of diodes, especially blue ones.

From a processor point of view, the laptop is obviously inferior in terms of energy efficiency to the Zen4 Phoenix. Not much, thanks to Meteor Lake cores, but it loses.

The memory is configured extremely disgustingly or this is due to the mediocre memory controller in Core 7. Latency is a monstrous 140ns. Of course, no one needs a funny 16GB today if there are no 2 slots on the motherboard.

Otherwise, everything is clear looking at the photo - the keyboard in this series is not working as always without a 16" numpad.
The stupid power supply on the left sticks out perpendicular to the body and interferes with right-handed people on sofas and beds, with the risk of breaking the connector with their feet (they are always to the left of the laptop for a right-handed person).

Well, increased noise with constantly running coolers. However, this is a common thing for Asus.

Well, the temperature at the keyboard level exceeds 50C in heavy tasks. It is better not to close the screen cover under such a load to avoid damage to the screen panel and its electronics.

lmao

Quote from: NikoB on February 21, 2024, 20:45:59The author himself pointed out in the review the poor calibration results and therefore did not even indicate dE after calibration. Obviously it is much higher than 2.
1.6 uncalibrated DP3 profile
1.4 calibrated

it's all on calman screenshots wth

NikoB

lmao

Quote from: NikoB on February 21, 2024, 21:59:52If everything is so good, why didn't the author enter the data into the table?
because it's about the same, values change sideways, some get bit better some get bit worse
uncalibrated 1.6 is in the table

Grinnie Jax

2024 gaming laptop and no 32-64Gb RAM options? And soldered slots. Epic fail, especially considering extremely high price.

MichaelD

I wish I had seen this review before ordering the Core Ultra 9 4070 model (based on @Dave2D's video). The cooling system is absolutely unacceptable - far too much noise at all the wrong frequencies, and the cooling performance is abysmal. I'm not even going to bother unboxing it; this one is going right back to Best Buy, and they can keep the 4080/90 ones as well.

RobertJasiek

Quote from: MichaelD on February 22, 2024, 22:49:54The cooling system is absolutely unacceptable - far too much noise at all the wrong frequencies, and the cooling performance is abysmal. I'm not even going to bother unboxing it

How could you hear the noise without even unboxing it?!

lmao

RobertJasiek

If someone reads a review indicating a serious problem, he should not buy the product. If somebody has already bought the product, he should form his own opinion to judge whether the review is right before possibly returning the product.

lmao

Quote from: RobertJasiek on February 23, 2024, 12:19:17If someone reads a review indicating a serious problem, he should not buy the product. If somebody has already bought the product, he should form his own opinion to judge whether the review is right before possibly returning the product.
says who?
people can do whatever they want lmao
well at least in this meaningless conversation of yours we've found a brand you are shilling for

NikoB

QuoteMoreover, we have to continue to critique Windows' HDR implementation, as it has to be activated manually and subsequently, the color profiles don't work right anymore.
Because the author does not understand the essence of how HDR10 works - with static metadata. This mode ALWAYS requires setting the maximum, peak brightness level when working with HDR10 variations (HDR600...1000+, and the fake HDR400 has absolutely nothing to do with HDR10). Which leads to automatic accelerated burnout of not only OLED, but also VA/IPS panels.

The problem is that only AMOLED panels with a real black color of a maximum of 0.0005 nits can work satisfactorily with HDR10+ (Dynamic HDR - with dynamic metadata with auto-calibration for the current screen brightness). And partly Dolby Vision aka DV (since there is no full automatic). But where does the author see the content and laptop monitors/panels with hardware support for HDR10+? They do not exist in nature.

This mode is supported only by AMOLED TV and not all of them. As there is a problem with content in this format.

If the screen is not certified (and actually corresponds in your copy) to at least True Black HDR 400, we cannot talk about any support for HDR10. This is fake non-working HDR.

Normal HDR10 mode with peak brightness ALWAYS set leads to rapid screen burn-in. Anyone. Therefore, this mode must be activated only when the owner really needs it; in other cases, the brightness must comply with ergonomic standards - 100-150 nits in office and daylight in the room.

NikoB

Let me also remind you that all HDR modes (except for the fake HDR100) require a color coverage of at least 90% DCI-P3.
Most programs and even Windows system components expect not DCI-P3 (Rec.2020), but sRGB (Rec.709/SDR) as input. Therefore, Windows works exactly in the mode in which most software is made. And a lot of software doesn't even work with color management systems. Even some of the popular video players, that's what's amazing.

Moreover, as I wrote earlier, the color space management system in Windows was initially done incorrectly. Some display systems ignore the assigned color profile.

In theory, the color profile obtained after individual hardware calibration of the matrix should be loaded into the video driver and it should always convert the output video data arriving at the matrix in accordance with it. Regardless of the withdrawal method. If the driver is told to output sRGB by default, then the output of any program and OS components should automatically be converted from sRGB to real, native matrix space. If the software indicates that it decides how to output (via the API), then the driver passes this video data without conversion, as is.

Only AMD drivers have a built-in auto-calibrator for the EDID matrix in sRGB, automatically bringing colors back to normal, even on wide gamut panels. And they are trying to emulate (with loss of DD) sRGB on matrices with a smaller color space - 45-46% NTSC.

Therefore, owners of AMD cards and igpus have always been in PRIVILEGED mode for the last 17 years, compared to owners of Intel igpus and discrete Intel/NVidia chips.

In AMD drivers, just check the "Use Extended Display Identification Date (EDID)" checkbox and an automatic attempt will be made to auto-calibrate in sRGB any screen panel with more or less native space than sRGB. In new drivers starting with the Adrenaline version, this checkbox is clearly missing; instead, you need to disable manual color control in the screen settings - which (manual control) is always enabled by default in AMD drivers. The effect will be the same. 99% of buyers of AMD cards and video integrated devices do not know about this outstanding feature of AMD drivers, which elevates AMD cards head and shoulders above Intel/NVidia chips and drivers.

Any owner of an AMD card or igpu can see for themselves the radical improvement in sRGB color accuracy on their monitors and laptop panels. Those who own cheap IPS with 45-46% NTSC and who have wide gamut matrices especially benefit.

Neenyah

Quote from: NikoB on February 24, 2024, 12:45:48In AMD drivers, just check the "Use Extended Display Identification Date (EDID)" checkbox and an automatic attempt will be made to auto-calibrate in sRGB any screen panel with more or less native space than sRGB.
You do know that such option does not exist in the AMD drivers since July 2018, right?

There are video profiles now: https://imgur.com/BX4oq35

Edit: You can set it up on Nvidia though, still works there including with 551.61 😁

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview