News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Apple MacBook Pro 14 2023 M3 Max Review - The fastest CPU in a 14-inch laptop

Started by Redaktion, November 21, 2023, 00:15:27

Previous topic - Next topic

A

Quote from: Neenyah on November 24, 2023, 14:54:25Tbh here, many people have noticed slower performance because of reduced memory bandwidth where M3 Pro is easily losing to older M1 and M2 variants, two of plenty examples:
My comment was only related to CPU tests not showing full RAM bandwidth.

As for lower RAM bandwidths compared to prev generation - especially in M Pro line - lowering bandwidth for M Pro was a marketing decision and it was completely correct actually, because prior to M3 generation M Pro and M Max were basically the same CPU. So M Pro chip was moved "down" the performance line in several way to not interfere with Max sales.
Yeah, kinda feels bad you can't pay less and get max performance anymore, but it was expected. Pro chip was mismarketed from the start and everyone knew it.

Max was also toned down a bit because every next Max destroyed Ultra in terms of CPU. And people were paying for Ultra quite a lot.

I also watched Just Josh's video and he is comparing a binned M3 Pro to non-binned M2 Pro all the time. Binned M3 Pro has less cores both CPU and GPU. M3 Max is also tad slower despite the same RAM bandwidth. So idk if RAM bandwidth is responsible or it's just media engines were toned down a bit or it's some software incompatibility with new hardware.

NikoB

Just Josh's review has a screenshot of the M3 Pro/Max configuration and it shows that they can still be configured in the top configuration up to 300/400GB/s for the memory controller.

If this is so, and at the end we get a pitiful 100-120GB/s in the RAM test for both Pro and Max, then this is generally a complete disgrace to Apple and a fraud with the characteristics, unless the test itself is done with some kind of internal error in the code , which is why the results are so low. I hope this test is done in native Arm code.

But I never saw the same tests for M1/M2, and I would like the editors to retest all of them, for general results, as it was and as it is now...

NikoB

At the same time, smart-a** Josh shows in the screenshot the real ram throughput of x86 machines, and for Apple machines the THEORETICAL one, which has nothing to do with reality, as tests have shown.

The same trick with x86 in multi-threading - smart-a** Josh compares it with the 13980HX at 90-100W consumption, but for some reason he forgot to add the 7945HX to the test, which is another 38% faster than the 13980HX at 90-100%.

Otherwise, Josh just made me laugh. He literally repeats me from all angles (regarding the sneaky shortcomings in x86 laptops) only for Apple laptops. Hahaha.

This is a general sneaky marketing tendency to disable key functions and include them only in the appendage with garbage that you don't need for crazy money (just as I don't need a discrete chip - at best 4050), but I need everything else to the maximum and for real prices, and not inflated by 3-6 times relative to retail for components (and with a much greater guarantee for each)

A

Quote from: NikoB on November 24, 2023, 18:35:08At the same time, smart-a** Josh shows in the screenshot the real ram throughput of x86 machines, and for Apple machines the THEORETICAL one, which has nothing to do with reality, as tests have shown.
Quote from: A on November 23, 2023, 17:38:10Some is reserved for GPU and hardware media engines. You can't get all of it unless you properly and simultaneously stress every module of SoC.
Higher bandwidth isn't there to mindlessly dump RAM at full speed on any request. It's there to have a guaranteed bandwidth to unified RAM for every SoC module at any time.

You became 2x smarter after reading this message, NikoB. No need to thank me.
No need to thank me x2

A

Quote from: NikoB on November 24, 2023, 18:35:08at best 4050
4070-4080* with 1/3 1/2 power consumption

Quote from: NikoB on November 24, 2023, 18:35:08and not inflated by 3-6 times relative to retail for components
Buy components, make your own laptop, don't forget to share results.

RobertJasiek

Quote from: NikoB on November 24, 2023, 18:35:08inflated by 3-6 times relative to retail for components

Up to 20 - 30 times is a more realistic assessment for Apple NAND.

A

Quote from: RobertJasiek on November 25, 2023, 00:59:49Up to 20 - 30 times is a more realistic assessment for Apple NAND.
As I always say, and it's not only related to Apple, because e.g. Surface MSRP storage prices are also +$200 for increment - buy components, make your own laptop. Get NikoB as partner and finally bless us with cheap great laptops at components' price. Sitting under the rock and typing bs is easier than running a successful business with R&D, actual production and thousands of employees who want to eat and buy their Tesla or Audi. Also don't forget that you will need a free proprietary OS with 7+ yrs of updates included, an office software package, music and video productivity apps and development tools and IDE. All that software also for free.

Eagerly expecting your advancements in fairly priced laptop production.

NikoB

Quote from: A on November 24, 2023, 19:43:59No need to thank me x2
You naive little fool - you weren't even here yet when I already described all this 10 times. You are a stupid imitator, repeating after me like a parrot. What I wrote years, decades ago.

Quote from: RobertJasiek on November 25, 2023, 00:59:49Up to 20 - 30 times is a more realistic assessment for Apple NAND.
Thanks to the population that pays exorbitant prices, we now have at least some hint of competition in the personal computer sector. Don't be Apple now. it would be a rotten x86 swamp. If there were no TSMC/Samsung and many educated people in Asia (see rankings of the level of education of young people here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programme_for_International_Student_Assessment)
Intel would become a one-man monster. But now it is just a catch-up company from the past, despite the fact that it had everything and full access to everything that the Western world has been giving to such companies for decades, but is rotten from the inside.

Unfortunately, in many areas of human activity there is no real competition, no matter how much we would like it, there are monopolies or clever oligopolies with the connivance (or even direct assistance) of the authorities of all countries (and the essence of local power is ultimately always the level of stupidity of the local population).

It is important that these accumulated resources from large companies actually go towards science and technology, towards the maximum development of promising children (those whom their parents and other close associates did not lose in early childhood), and not towards golden toilets, yachts and football clubs for rednecks and other such meaningless nonsense.

So let them pay, especially the kleptocratic layer in different countries, as the main target group of Apple, while Apple is not yet completely rotten, it makes sense.

A

Quote from: NikoB on November 25, 2023, 13:48:31You naive little fool - you weren't even here yet when I already described all this 10 times. You are a stupid imitator, repeating after me like a parrot. What I wrote years, decades ago.
Clown, just admit you had no idea as usual.
'Decades ago' made my day.

A

Quote from: NikoB on November 25, 2023, 13:48:31So let them pay, especially the kleptocratic layer in different countries, as the main target group of Apple, while Apple is not yet completely rotten, it makes sense.
Yeah, you were fast to backpedal your marxist bs about 'fair components price' when faced with an argument of making your own. Obviously you can't make sh*t yourself so now you _ALLOW_ Apple to do it, okay, thank you sir. )

'Kleptocratic layer'. M3 Max for $3500 is less or equal to monthly earnings of a professional in IT or 2d/3d design or content producer. It's a 'normal layer', it's just you being nobody doing nothing.

NikoB

"A", you need to rest in a rehabilitation center. Don't overwork yourself here. Otherwise you'll burn out. How many of these have I already seen who have disappeared into oblivion...

A

Quote from: NikoB on November 25, 2023, 14:29:44"A", you need to rest in a rehabilitation center. Don't overwork yourself here. Otherwise you'll burn out. How many of these have I already seen who have disappeared into oblivion...
So you've been a local clown for a while? I can't call it an achievement, man.

NikoB

And as for "marxist" ideas from me...so now you live almost in a communist country - what your elite fought against is what they ran into.

So relax and have fun in the new analogue of the USSR walk quickly along the same path.

A

Quote from: NikoB on November 25, 2023, 14:38:57And as for "marxist" ideas from me...so now you live almost in a communist country - what your elite fought against is what they ran into.
So relax and have fun in the new analogue of the USSR walk quickly along the same path.
I suppose politic events discussions with local grumpy clown are off-topic here.

NikoB

Quote from: A on November 25, 2023, 14:42:18I suppose politic events discussions with local grumpy clown are off-topic here.
Your understanding of politics and what is happening on the planet is about the same as walking to the moon. Relax, your lot is to be a paid low-level bot.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview