News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Apple MacBook Pro 16 2023 M3 Max Review - M3 Max challenges HX-CPUs from AMD & Intel

Started by Redaktion, November 09, 2023, 01:32:39

Previous topic - Next topic

NikoB

Quote from: LL on November 09, 2023, 13:40:42part of that price is the 8TB SSD and the 128GB Memory...
~500$ + 500$ = 1000$. 9000$ - 1000$ = 8000$...

SoC - $1500 maximum. Screen - $200-250 (I know better and cheaper screens). Battery $120-150 (taking into account quality, unlike Chinese ones). Motherboard - $300. Housing - $300. Power supply - $50.

1500+300+200+150+300+50 + 1000 ~ 3500, max 3800 and a decent margin of +1000$ - 4500-4800.

This is approximate _retail_ prices for components with great guarantees are indicated, not wholesale. Wholesale is 1.5-2 times less.

What else is Apple asking for additional +4500-$5000? For fun and experience? Is it really for the "ecosystem"?

NikoB

Quote from: larkhon on November 09, 2023, 13:54:44there are no newer CPU generation in actual laptops, and the 7945hx was availaible like 3-4 months ago...
laptops based on the 7945H3DX are officially already on sale.

RobertJasiek

Quote from: LL on November 09, 2023, 13:40:42The unified memory is what makes me look for Apple due to miserable Nvidia VRAM values. 16GB VRAM is the minimum to work in Unreal Engine.

Just curios: why are AMD GPUs not an option for you?

RobertJasiek

Quote from: NikoB on November 09, 2023, 14:06:16SoC - $1500 maximum. Screen - $200-250 (I know better and cheaper screens). Battery $120-150 (taking into account quality, unlike Chinese ones). Motherboard - $300. Housing - $300.

I have never, not even remotely, seen you so generous before...

QuoteWhat else is Apple asking for additional +4500-$5000? For fun and experience? Is it really for the "ecosystem"?

Apple sells its cult to cover its greed.

Luxury. If one has to ask for the price, one cannot afford the specimen.

NikoB

x86 cores are simply suffocated by slow RAM and a shame 128-bit controllers.

As soon as AMD switches to an HBM3 memory controller for top-end laptops with 1TB/s, it will be able to make the built-in gpu at the 4080+ level. With 128GB HBM3e soldered together with Zen5 cores, Apple has no chance against AMD in top-end segment. But this is, of course, pure theorizing - in reality, the AMD team is weakening. But it is clear that the Apple team already has problems, so the race between teams is becoming increasingly fierce in 2024. And somewhere on the side is the Intel team. The Qualcomm team is stepping on their heels. And somewhere in the clearing there is also the Mediatek team hanging out, the fate of which so far looks like the fate of VIA in the x86 market in the early 2000s..

RobertJasiek

Quote from: NikoB on November 09, 2023, 14:17:31As soon as AMD switches to an HBM3 memory controller for top-end laptops with 1TB/s, it will be able to make the built-in gpu at the 4080+ level. With 128GB HBM3e soldered together with Zen5 cores

Sorry, no, too much of a dream! Bandwidth alone does not create fast GPU speed. It also needs fast and many cores, which comes at the cost of TDP. We see it in 780M, which is only marginally better than 680M because of the TDP limitation. AMD could not fit more cores without exceeding a reasonable TDP.

HBM3 - yes, please. But 4080 speed in an SoC we will have to await for another 10+ years, unfortunately.

NikoB

Quote from: RobertJasiek on November 09, 2023, 14:26:11HBM3 - yes, please. But 4080 speed in an SoC we will have to await for another 10+ years, unfortunately.
HBM3 is key to tightly packing Zen5 cores with graphics cores. Let me remind you that such a combination is many times more efficient (and in terms of consumption) than external video cards on the poor pci-e 4.0 bus.

Today you simply cannot offer a laptop over $4,500 without a fast 128GB of RAM.

When one chipmaker packs everything tightly together, with minimal distances along the conductors from one chip to another, leakage is minimal, consumption will drop significantly just because of this. Plus optimization of access of cpu cores and gpu to each other at breakneck speed compared to the poor and slow pci-e 4.0. And this is AMD's chance against NVidia - to make a single SoC in a multi-chip version. NVidia does not have a license for x86 and does not have its own effective team for developing universal computing cores, so it is not clear why AMD is dragging its feet on this topic, although it is most beneficial for them in the fight against NVidia and Intel. There is only one thing that explains its inaction on this topic - it is simply a laying company for Intel to eliminate problems with the antimonopoly department. Therefore, AMD does not strive to be first - its bosses simply do not need it...

Neenyah

Quote from: larkhon on November 09, 2023, 13:54:44
Quote from: NikoB on November 09, 2023, 13:48:44outdated 7945HX 2022 even with "5/6nm". It's not even Zen4 Phoenix with "4/5nm".
Outdated?? there are no newer CPU generation in actual laptops, and the 7945hx was availaible like 3-4 months ago...
He is always like that. As soon as something is more than one month old it becomes extremely outdated to him and especially if there is anything even 0.1% faster in any benchmark.

Quote from: NikoB on November 09, 2023, 14:08:47laptops based on the 7945H3DX are officially already on sale.
7945H3DX doesn't exist. It the 7945HX3D. And yes, it's on a magical sale of literally ZERO available (available to order) of them in the EU: https://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/MainSearchProductCategory.html?q=7945HX3D

And precisely ONE laptop (in three different models) in the US, the ROG Strix Scar 17: https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=7945HX3D

Truly makes everything else outdated 🙇

NikoB

Quote from: RobertJasiek on November 09, 2023, 14:15:26Apple sells its cult to cover its greed.
The cult also assumes real superiority over competitors in everything, regardless of price (well, for example, like a car), but this is not even close. The M3 Max is already inferior to last year's outdated 7945HX from AMD in terms of core energy efficiency.

It turns out that this is a 2.1kg cult with these characteristics? But they clearly do not impress IT experts. This is not what we expected from Apple at the end of 2023...

NikoB

Quote from: Neenyah on November 09, 2023, 15:33:54Magical sale of literally ZERO of them in the EU: www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/MainSearchProductCategory.html?q=7945H3DX
It's not my fault that Asus considers Europeans second-class citizens compared to North Americans.

Quote from: Neenyah on November 09, 2023, 15:33:54And precisely ONE laptop (in three different models) in the US, the ROG Strix Scar 17: www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=7945H3DX
I have already written many times that ASUS is the number one supplier of their majesty TSMC/AMD. They are always the first in Taiwan to have access to the latest chips. The rest have to bite the dust...

Neenyah

Quote from: NikoB on November 09, 2023, 15:41:37It's not my fault that Asus considers Europeans second-class citizens compared to North Americans.

I have already written many times that ASUS is the number one supplier of their majesty TSMC/AMD. They are always the first in Taiwan to have access to the latest chips. The rest have to bite the dust...
Nice try but no. It's not available in Taiwan either not even on the official Asus site (while other laptops are available just fine to purchase directly from that same site): https://www.asus.com/tw/laptops/for-home/all-series/filter?Spec=181782

https://www.asus.com/tw/searchresult?searchType=&searchKey=7945HX3D&page=1

Taiwan is a second-class country to Asus 😞

NikoB

Of course, residents of the USA are metropolises, there are first-class citizens and naturally the Taiwanese are not of interest to ASUS in general, including in terms of purchasing power, but I am sure that buying the latest Asus models оn Taiwan is not a problem for the Taiwanese who need it. When factories are nearby, there is no problem... ;)

A

Brilliant laptop, unmatched in combination of characteristics.
Patiently waiting for M6 though to upgrade my M1Max )

Neenyah

Quote from: NikoB on November 09, 2023, 15:52:31Of course, residents of the USA are metropolises, there are first-class citizens and naturally the Taiwanese are not of interest to ASUS in general, including in terms of purchasing power, but I am sure that buying the latest Asus models оn Taiwan is not a problem for the Taiwanese who need it. When factories are nearby, there is no problem... ;)

Hmmm...

Quote from: NikoB on November 09, 2023, 15:41:37I have already written many times that ASUS is the number one supplier of their majesty TSMC/AMD. They are always the first in Taiwan to have access to the latest chips. The rest have to bite the dust...

Ah ok, the US metropolises are in Taiwan. Got it 👍

NikoB

Quote from: Neenyah on November 09, 2023, 15:55:23Ah ok, the US metropolises are in Taiwan. Got it
Are you surprised that Taiwan, Japan and South Korea are actually colonies of the United States? Were you born yesterday?

Uncle Sam's shaggy hand is visible everywhere.

Like in a bunch of other places where US capital has an interest in local workers (still does). Obviously, from the point of view of cheap labor, Japan, South Korea and Taiwan have long been no longer interesting sites for the investment of US capital, but this is how it has historically developed. All countries are covered by US missile defense. These are not just production sites with once cheap labor, as mainland China was quite recently (until 2015, when Western capital began to move there faster and faster), these are colonies. China was originally formally independent (and it is a nuclear country), although it is confused by a bunch of invisible ties with the United States.

You again begin to argue on a topic that you are poorly versed in and take the general topic away from the main thing.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview