News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

BenQ unveils 28-inch 3:2 monitor with coding mode as well as 24-inch and 32-inch programmer displays

Started by Redaktion, May 10, 2024, 03:34:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

BenQ has announced three new and unusual monitors, starting with a 28-inch monitor in 3:2 format, which is rarely found in desktop monitors. The 24-inch monitor in 16:10 format and the 32-inch top model also support a dedicated coding mode.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/BenQ-unveils-28-inch-3-2-monitor-with-coding-mode-as-well-as-24-inch-and-32-inch-programmer-displays.835756.0.html

Logoffon

Still waiting for a return of mainstream hi-res 4:3 monitors, but at least we finally got something taller that isn't 16:10 (which I actually really despise) and not a Huawei MateView.

Neenyah

Quote from: Logoffon on May 10, 2024, 12:44:35Still waiting for a return of mainstream hi-res 4:3 monitors, but at least we finally got something taller that isn't 16:10 (which I actually really despise) and not a Huawei MateView.
Well there is always almost 1:1 in LG DualUp with its 8:9 aspect ratio: https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-28mq780-b-dualup-monitor

Image from Reddit: https://imgur.com/UgMkURo

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rydAjmwaOAE

NikoB

All you need for coding is perfectly clear text - this only gives an 8K panel with 1500:1+. Or 4k+ on laptops (all office/multimedia models without exception) up to 18".

This shameful garbage with low ppi and a shameful contrast of 1000:1 is of no use to anyone and has nothing to do with the professional series "for developers".

Marketers love fancy words, but only suckers fall for it.

Approximately like "Pro" consoles in a number of products:
1. Samsung 980/990 "Pro" in which all that remains from Pro is a marketing name for suckers, because 970 Pro was on MLC, and this shame is on TLC
2. Legion 5 "Pro" from Lenovo, which has lost its metal body and TB4/USB40 ports.

etc. etc. on the market.

Ednumero

Breaking out of the 16:9+ultrawide death grip is a huge step forward, even if the rest of the stats are mediocre right now, but I do hope to see them improved just the same.

I myself am holding out for a refresh rate greater than 60Hz (or at least dual mode and/or the ability to overclock). Hopefully that will come in 4K soon, and in 8K at some reasonable point in the future. (in a 16:10 or 3:2 aspect ratio)

Agree that the word "Pro" is hollow; you have to look into what's actually being offered.

QuoteDualUp
The DualUp is definitely a unique option. If LG could bump the refresh rate, and remove the logo chin so that it looks good in landscape mode too, then it would occupy its niche almost perfectly.

Glossy or Bust

The matte finish on displays smears text (matte finishes achieve their "anti-glare" by simply "diffusing" aka "blurring" light in both directions). This results in much worse text clarity, and bottlenecks the "effective resolution" of the panel.

When they come out with a hi-res glossy monitor, let me know.

Until then, I'm sticking with my Pro Display XDR and Apple Studio Displays.

YUKI93

Considering that most modern laptops and tablets have a 3:2 screen, I can see why BenQ do this. Personally, 16:9 is still the gold standard for mass media and I won't be going away from it.

Ednumero

Most films are produced in much wider (or shorter) aspect ratios than 16:9, I find, which spells letterboxing in all but perhaps the right ultrawides.

I do reckon most YouTube videos are 16:9, and I suppose that can make sense as a basis if they are the predominant use. I myself can't see that taking priority over everything else if my intent is multipurpose use.

10basetom

"frame rate of 60 Hz"

Gee, if they really want programmers to be happy, offer at least 90 Hz refresh. After upgrading from a 60 Hz monitor to a 120 Hz monitor, I can look at the screen longer without eye fatigue. 60 Hz is a deal breaker.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview