News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s G4 im Test - Business-Laptop ist besser mit AMD Zen4

Started by Redaktion, October 31, 2023, 00:11:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Das aktuelle ThinkPad T14s G4 hatten wir bereits mit Intel-Prozessor und hochauflösendem OLED-Panel im Test, nun folgt das AMD-Modell mit dem Ryzen 7 7840U sowie dem Low-Power-IPS-Display. Neben deutlich mehr Leistung überzeugt vor allem die gute Akkulaufzeit.

https://www.notebookcheck.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T14s-G4-im-Test-Business-Laptop-ist-besser-mit-AMD-Zen4.762542.0.html

astrophysa

Da HP keine Trackpoints mehr verbaut, schlägt das Pendel bei den Eingabegeräten deutlich Richtung Lenovo.

LG

Mit diesem Bildschirm-Panel wäre ich tatsächlich sehr zufrieden. Ablesbarkeit im Freien sieht wirklich hervorragend aus. Helligkeit liegt ja auch einen gutes Stück über den Herstellerangaben. Befürchte jedoch, dass es sich hierbei um einen positiven Ausreißer handelt... 

RobertJasiek

Ohne kleine Pfeiltasten und unzugänglichen Lüfterschrauben wäre das Gerät mit seinem guten Display brauchbar. Mit einem 99,9Wh-Akku statt der verbauten 57Wh erreichte es 23:09 WLAN-Laufzeit. Der 7840U zeigt diesbezüglich sein Potenzial, aber die RAM-Latenz ist trotz LPDDR5x-6400 Dual-Channel unterirdisch.

Mampfo

Hallo Andreas,

danke für den Testbericht — sehr informativ! Was ihr gar nicht erwähnt habt ist, ob die Lüfter immer laufen oder auch Mal bei weniger anspruchsvollen Aufgaben still stehen. Kannst du da was zu sagen, ab wann die angehen? Schon beim Benutzen von Word oder Acrobat?

NikoB

QuoteKontrast   1896
www.panelook.com/LP140WU1-SPB2_LG%20Display_14.0_LCM_overview_57993.html
Typical contrast 1000:1...
LG "Black IPS" - 2000:1 by declaration and real 1800:1 by test.

Should we believe the author's data in the review?

Otherwise, it's just a laptop at a greatly inflated price, taking into account the composition of the components in the presented model. At this price, the buyer has the right to expect at least a Lddr5 7500 soldering, and even this is not enough - 64GB RAM/2TB or at least 4TB SSD would be in place, at a minimum.

All other shortcomings are the keyboard with short key travel, the lack of reliable power via a round corner plug instead of the sticking out to the side and extremely unreliable USB-C, which should only be an additional power option, but not the main one in a laptop, unlike smartphones already have long been described.

Those who have money for trinkets may buy it, but those who know how or are forced to count money are unlikely to. Only after a discount of at least 600-700 euros.

NikoB

Quote from: RobertJasiek on October 31, 2023, 07:36:38Ohne kleine Pfeiltasten und unzugänglichen Lüfterschrauben wäre das Gerät mit seinem guten Display brauchbar. Mit einem 99,9Wh-Akku statt der verbauten 57Wh erreichte es 23:09 WLAN-Laufzeit. Der 7840U zeigt diesbezüglich sein Potenzial, aber die RAM-Latenz ist trotz LPDDR5x-6400 Dual-Channel unterirdisch.
If, of course, you believe the data in review - the key operating mode of RAM - reading mode is a monstrous failure by bandwith vs write/copy modes. And the latency is monstrous, but this is a general trend of degradation of access speed in x86 controllers and probably in the industry as a whole, in contrast to SSDs, where the latency, albeit slowly, decreased along with the increase in the linear exchange speed with the drive.

It is obvious that in the current development of trends, memory controllers based on DDRx memory are a dead-end branch of evolution.

Benjamin Herzig

Quote from: NikoB on October 31, 2023, 15:11:42At this price, the buyer has the right to expect at least a Lddr5 7500 soldering
This laptop contains LPDDR5X-7500, but it is limited to LPDDR5X-6400 speeds due to (according to Lenovo) a platform limitation.

NikoB

www.amd.com/en/product/13186
The 7840u does not have such restrictions, moreover, for a long time there have been portable solutions based on the 7840u, where the 7500 stands and works. So Lenovo's answer, without technical details of the reason, does not satisfy me personally. As is the size of the RAM in general (it supports up to 128GB soldered) and especially the size of the included SSD, for such a monstrous price even by the standards of the end of 2023.

Peter R

an sich kein schlechtes Gerät, aber da ist das HP-Pedant wohl das deutlich rundere Paket, speziell wenn Preis/Leistung berücksichtigt wird. Und wenn schon verlöteter RAM in dieser Preisklasse Ende 23 in den Businessgeräten landet, sind 16GB wirklich lächerlich. Unter 32 für ein derart hochpreisiges Gerät ohne Aufrüstoption...
Bei den geringen Mehrkosten würde ich eher sogar nur eine Modelloption mit gleich 64GB anbieten - dann wird der Einstieg zwar etwas teurer, aber ich kann den Leuten wirklich ein Gerät präsentieren, dass sich etwas von der Konkurenz abhebt - und ja, da würde auch 7500er dazu gehören

thum

Ich war sehr lange mit einem X230 unterwegs - jetzt habe ich das T14s jetzt mit Debian seit ~1 Woche im Einsatz und bin recht zufrieden.
Zur gleichen Zeit hatte ich mir ein X13 G4 AMD mit derselben CPU gekauft.

Im direkten Vergleich mit dem X13 ist es schon wahrnehmbar leiser (bei gleichen Einstellungen) und leidet auch nicht vom Luefterpulsen wie das X13.
Mit 1340g ist das T14s ~160g schwerer als das X13 und ~140g leichter als mein altes X230. Das Gewicht macht im Vergleich mit den beiden anderen Laptops den groessten Unterschied beim Anfassen.

Die Keyboards des T14s und X13 sind wirklich extrem schlecht; das X230 liegt hier deutlich vorn mit einem angenehmen Hub. Allerdings habe ich mich bereits daran gewoehnt und es stoert mich kaum noch, so dass ich bereits fast so schnell tippe wie auf dem X230. Dennoch ist der Trend der Hersteller auf duenne Laptops im Business-Bereich nicht nachvollziebar. Das Gewicht ist fuer Leute wie mich wichtiger als 3mm weniger Hoehe.

Die Displaylotterie hat mir im T14s ein deutlich wahrnehmbar helleres Display im Vergleich zum X13 spendiert. Haette das X13 hier vorn gelegen, haette ich mich -moeglicherweile- auch fuer das X13 entschieden. Fuer ein noch mobileres Laptops im Vergleich zum T14s haette ich erwartet, dass das X13 vorne liegt.
Die Schwarzwerte der Displays sind, naja, akzeptabel. Ich mag die 1920x1200p Aufloesung auf dem 14 Zoll Display.

Es gibt noch eine Baustellen ob des WLAN Chips unter Linux, auch in Verbindung mit Suspend/Hibernate, ansonsten zuverlaessiger Betrieb.

Mein X230 ist mir ein paar mal heruntergefallen, es hat alles ueberlebt. Teile sind problemlos bei Ebay zu bekommen. Das T14s macht nicht den Eindruck als ob es aehnlich robust sei.

Brunce

I've just bought this model and I've got to say: I am disappointed.
I'm coming from the nearly 8 year old T460s and compared to that:

• the Touch Pad is worse. The T460s had a rougher surface on which even sweaty fingers just glided nicely. The new T14s G4 feels like every other notebook, which means: quite sticky and unpleasent.
  • The Track Point buttons are worse. They are very flat now which makes it difficult to find them and very hard to haptically distinguish between the three.
  • The sound is bad. There is no bass at all. Watching videos is no fun, it sounds like the sound of a childrens toy. T460s was much better in this regard.
  • The keyboard is worse than that of the T460s. It's allright compared to other modern notebooks, but not as good as it used to be.
  • The body is very happy to take any fingerprint. It looks good when you first open the box, but it'll never look like that again. That already wasn't ideal with the T460s, but it is even worse with this one

Starting with the T400, I always bought (T) Think Pads for my private use. I always though they were brilliant devices. This one though... Honestly, I don't understand how you rated this at 90%. For me, it's more like 78%. It's alright and it definitely has its strong points, but there is also a lot to improve. I've currently got an EliteBook

I'll probably keep it anyway, mostly because I think Lenovo still has the best TrackPoint and I cannot live without it. But I think other than performance-wise, it's quite a step back from my old T460s and other than all my previous ThinkPads, I will not recommend this to my friends.

Brunce

Quote from: Brunce on March 05, 2024, 21:45:54I've currently got an EliteBook

Sorry, half of the sentence went missing. What I wanted to say was: I've currently got an EliteBook in the office and I think if you can live without a track point, it's a better allround package (and even looks nicer).

Brunce

One month later, two more remarks:

-when you play a game, the GPU goes into thermal throtteling quickly. The fan is very quiet, but unfortunately, also very weak. You hardly feel the airflow, even if it is at max rpm.
-the area in which the air is sucked into the notebooks body is relatively small and is placed so that you will block it with your right leg, if you ever decide to actually put your laptop on your lap. That's not too much of a problem if you just surf the internet, but if you do something with a higher load, the housing gets really hot.

One thing I do like is the integration of the fingerprint reader into the power button. I was skeptical about this, but it works well and more often than not, you skip over the windows authentification and boot directly to the desktop.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview