News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Virus scandal: Acemagic comments on infected PCs and offers affected customers several options

Started by Redaktion, February 22, 2024, 23:46:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Acemagic has commented on the preinstalled viruses on its own PC systems. Affected customers can have their devices exchanged or receive compensation, even if they keep the devices. The company has also announced several measures for the future.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Virus-scandal-Acemagic-comments-on-infected-PCs-and-offers-affected-customers-several-options.806225.0.html

anan

Quoteinadequate adjustments made "to the Microsoft source code, including network settings, without obtaining software digital signatures."
Do they mean they loaded unsigned drivers that contained malware? Disabled driver signature verification altogether?
Kinda sounds as if they are trying to put out a complicated message. Maybe it was a malicious act by someone and not a case of gross negligence.

PhDave

Quote from: anan on February 23, 2024, 11:05:32
Quoteinadequate adjustments made "to the Microsoft source code, including network settings, without obtaining software digital signatures."
Do they mean they loaded unsigned drivers that contained malware? Disabled driver signature verification altogether?
Kinda sounds as if they are trying to put out a complicated message. Maybe it was a malicious act by someone and not a case of gross negligence.

Agreed.  I've been following Acemagic for a few months because their boxes are cool-looking cheap little things, and this issue came up with my initial "product research" while I was considering buying.  The offending software that has been identified on their systems is not just a case of Windows saying "I don't recognize this software" - it's actual intentional malware that logs keystrokes, and scrapes browser data for login information.  Google "Tom's Hardware Mini PC maker ships systems with factory-installed spyware — AceMagic says issue was contained to the first shipment" for details (would have included a link, but #forumpolicy).

This "response" from Acemagic (which, though I feel icky pointing it out, is a very Chinese company) reeks of hopeful obfuscation.

RobertJasiek

Quote from: PhDave on February 23, 2024, 13:42:02would have included a link, but #forumpolicy

Unregistered users, like currently me, can post links as URL without protocol, for example:

www.google.com

lmao

every brand including bigshots like hp/dell/lenovo was caught at some point having pre-installed malware or adware, keyloggers or having a critical vulnerability in pre-installed software

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview