News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

First AMD Hawk Point laptops hit the market: HP Envy X360 14 convertible with Ryzen 7 8840HS now available for $1,049.99

Started by Redaktion, April 29, 2024, 18:33:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The AMD Ryzen 7 8840HS processor makes its laptop debut on models like the HP Envy X360 14. Still, this particular model might not get you the best bang for your buck, as it combines the powerful processor with rather budget-oriented components that seem overpriced.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/First-AMD-Hawk-Point-laptops-hit-the-market-HP-Envy-X360-14-convertible-with-Ryzen-7-8840HS-now-available-for-1-049-99.832336.0.html

Bizarro_NikoB

I was able to handle these at Best Buy. They have a lot of the Macbook Pro design language but the ram is soldered and limited to 32GB (even on the 16") and the hinges are complete garbage that collapse with the slightest of movement. I can't recommend them because of the hinges. 

Shame, because outside those drawbacks, the typing experience is superb and the rest of the build quality is very premium.

FWIW - Best Buy also had the Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 and G16 which felt way more premium and a class above these HP laptops with no screen wobble, sturdy hinges, premium metal built and an amazing typing experience. About the only complaint that may be subjective is the keycap font looked horrible!

Russel

Quote from: Bizarro_NikoB on April 29, 2024, 22:10:57I was able to handle these at Best Buy. They have a lot of the Macbook Pro design language but the ram is soldered and limited to 32GB (even on the 16") and the hinges are complete garbage that collapse with the slightest of movement. I can't recommend them because of the hinges. 

Shame, because outside those drawbacks, the typing experience is superb and the rest of the build quality is very premium.

FWIW - Best Buy also had the Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 and G16 which felt way more premium and a class above these HP laptops with no screen wobble, sturdy hinges, premium metal built and an amazing typing experience. About the only complaint that may be subjective is the keycap font looked horrible!

You don't sound like the real NikoB.
Shouldn't you be complaining about the screen quality as well?

markiz

That is unfortunate to hear about the hinge, though I wish there was already a review to corroborate it.
I have the 1st gen Envy X360 13 from 2018 and the build quality and the hinge have been superb. They keys started failing and since the keyboard is glued to the deck, I would have to also replace the deck, so not sure if worth it. Was planning to replace it again with X360 Envy.

The one currently on offer in Germany for preorder is a good price on specs IMHO: 8640HS + 16GB + 512GB + 2k OLED 120HZ = 1000€

Cheaper then a comparable Yoga 14 convertible by a significant margin for me.

I hope notebookcheck does a review, as they have "neglected" Envy line in the last few years.

Bizarro_NikoB

You don't sound like the real NikoB.
Shouldn't you be complaining about the screen quality as well?
[/quote]

Im not NikoB. Im Bizarro_NikoB. No relation. Lol

The laptops are really nice and well built except for the hinges imo and they were just put out on display so I know they weren't loose from their time as a display model.

Bizarro_NikoB

Quote from: markiz on April 30, 2024, 08:42:29That is unfortunate to hear about the hinge, though I wish there was already a review to corroborate it.

Keep in mind my experience was anecdotal and maybe the laptops I handled had isolated QA issues with the hinges.

And I agree, it would be nice if notebookcheck could review to corroborate my experiences. Any thoughts on the G14 or G16?

I was suprised how premium they were! I never would have considered buying one of those UNTIL I was able to try out in person. They're very nice laptops!

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview