News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad P1 G6 laptop in review - Mobile workstation replaces the ThinkPad X1 Extreme

Started by Redaktion, October 20, 2023, 11:43:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Lenovo no longer offers the ThinkPad X1 Extreme. Instead, the identically built ThinkPad P1 Gen 6 takes over the tasks as a powerful multimedia computer or mobile workstation from now on. We tested the new ThinkPad P1 Gen 6 with the professional Nvidia RTX 2000 GPU and the matte IPS panel with a refresh rate of 165 Hz.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-P1-G6-laptop-in-review-Mobile-workstation-replaces-the-ThinkPad-X1-Extreme.760877.0.html

LL

What kind of work needs a very weak "Quadro" and a very strong CPU?  This configuration do not make much sense. Rendering and even video effects, simulations are every day done more by the GPU.

NikoB

Quotehigh CPU and system performance
This overpriced product from Lenovo is more than 2 times slower than the 7945HX, which, funny enough, is faster than that shameful 13900H running on PSU, even on battery... ))

Quotevery good and bright 165 Hz display with factory calibration
With extremely poor color coverage. Which is probably enough for "gaming" Legions, but not for a professional laptop.

With a price ~$1500, maybe someone will be interested in it... or, as usual, for kickbacks to large companies...

Jorge Riquelme

Today I tried a similar spec one from a client.

But I was disappointed with the Trackpad. Sadly, it stills feels very cheap and with bad quality, even compared to other brands. The keyboard maybe is more confortable for some kind of user, but I prefer the old one with the long key travel.

The display is in fact a very good one, but also, after seeing a MacBook Pro, doesn't impress too much, even with the 165 Hz refresh rate. Speakers and camera are improved to, but also, not enough to justify an upgrade yet, unless you need it more power.

Obviously is a powerhouse, but honestly, at least in the input experience, this isn't a worthy upgrade from the older gen1, gen2 and gen3 (X1E and P1). I have a X1 Extreme Gen3, and I was thinking of upgrade, but I prefer to  wait for a next gen one with a haptic TrackPad, like the MacBook, Wi-Fi 7, and better specs.

NikoB

Quote from: Jorge Riquelme on October 20, 2023, 23:22:44Obviously is a powerhouse
This is complete nonsense - the 13900 loses to 7945HX more than 2 times. This laptop is 2 years out of date in terms of performance. The price is doubled. There is nothing here from a classic Thinkpad with a high-quality keyboard. Lenovo marketers simply cannot justify the price.

The screen should only be 4k@120-144Hz 95%+ AdobeRGB 178/178 1500:1+ and with a response of at least 6-7 ms on G2G/B2W.

ps, the funny thing is that the direct phrase from my language "loses to 7945HX" is deliberately translated by Google Translator (if you don't correct or translate 7945HX to another line) - as a loss, i.e. "outperforms" 7945HX to the Intel processor. Either Google's "AI" is completely shamefully stupid or it's a deliberate translation edit by Google in collusion with Intel, in the hope that a person who doesn't know English well won't notice it... The modern world, where people use automatic translators, is extremely dangerous and deliberately distorts reality to suit the interests of TNCs, if the person using them does not notice this.

Toortle

Quote from: NikoB on October 21, 2023, 13:38:45Either Google's "AI" is completely shamefully stupid or it's a deliberate translation edit by Google in collusion with Intel, in the hope that a person who doesn't know English well won't notice it...
A bit too paranoid, aren't we?

KT

Quote from: Mike993 on October 24, 2023, 23:04:28No ethernet port is a dealbreaker for me.

For those of us who don't have the technical aptitude or experience between the two options (sadly, that's me), what is the essential difference between an onboard Ethernet port on a laptop, and utilizing one through an external dock with the same speed port (other than portability)?  Are there speed or stability issues with a dock solution?

Neenyah

Quote from: KT on October 25, 2023, 09:45:52...what is the essential difference between an onboard Ethernet port on a laptop, and utilizing one through an external dock with the same speed port (other than portability)?  Are there speed or stability issues with a dock solution?
No difference in speed or stability. It's just a different port to connect. To explain you plainly - different doors on your house won't change anything inside of your house.

kuro68k

The main difference with an external ethernet port is that it eats up some of the available bandwidth. USB A ports with 5Gbps are obviously okay for 2.5G ethernet, but not for 10G ethernet.

The USB C ports have 40Gbps each, so unless you load them up with lots of other stuff you should be fine there. 4k monitors are the big bandwidth users for most people. About 20Gbps.

These would be perfect if they had AMD CPUs. The Intel CPU is the only real weakness. Upgradable WiFi would be nice but is got everything else. 2xNVMe, 2xRAM sockets, 2x Thunderbolt, 2x USB A, decent build...

LoneWolf

Quote from: Mike993 on October 24, 2023, 23:04:28No ethernet port is a dealbreaker for me.

The Lenovo USB-C notebook port dongle works great, I have one for my ThinkPad P1.

Quote from: NikoB on October 21, 2023, 13:38:45
Quote from: Jorge Riquelme on October 20, 2023, 23:22:44Obviously is a powerhouse
This is complete nonsense - the 13900 loses to 7945HX more than 2 times. This laptop is 2 years out of date in terms of performance. The price is doubled. There is nothing here from a classic Thinkpad with a high-quality keyboard. Lenovo marketers simply cannot justify the price.

The screen should only be 4k@120-144Hz 95%+ AdobeRGB 178/178 1500:1+ and with a response of at least 6-7 ms on G2G/B2W.

ps, the funny thing is that the direct phrase from my language "loses to 7945HX" is deliberately translated by Google Translator (if you don't correct or translate 7945HX to another line) - as a loss, i.e. "outperforms" 7945HX to the Intel processor. Either Google's "AI" is completely shamefully stupid or it's a deliberate translation edit by Google in collusion with Intel, in the hope that a person who doesn't know English well won't notice it... The modern world, where people use automatic translators, is extremely dangerous and deliberately distorts reality to suit the interests of TNCs, if the person using them does not notice this.

The 7945HX should be compared to Intel HX processors, not Intel HX processors. Otherwise you're going apples to oranges. I'm not saying that they might not still win, but you're not comparing the same group.  Intel H-series processors should be compared to Ryzen H-series processors for parity.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview