News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Linux vs Windows 11: 3 underrated and common features that make the open-source software superior

Started by Redaktion, April 25, 2023, 06:03:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Hotz

Unfortunately the linux diversity is a huge problem. Not only is it difficult to choose a distro, but every distro has its own problems. Be it because of different UI, different kernel versions, different preinstalled apps, different libs, etc. All these things can hugely increase the error rate - and they do.
Not long ago I tried out 5 popular linux distros and each one of them had something which didn't work, but worked on the others, and vice versa. That's not the desktop experience I would like to recommend users. That's also not an attractive system for 3rd party developers. Just imagine the nightmare you'll have if you want to give support, and each distro has another cause why it fucks up the app.

It's sad. Honestly. In fact I wanted to recommend my family and friends linux, but I simply can't because of all the inconsistencies and madnesses that will come with it.

The only "solution" to linux would be a something like a "mother" distribution (offering a standardized desktop experience with a fixed amount of standard apps, UI, libs, APIs, kernel version etc.), and from which every other linux inherits. Other distro may add their own apps additionally, but in the end, always the "mother" distribution" would be the one to recommend to the common people, and to create new software for.

In order to happen, the linuxers must come together and publicly declare a specific distribution as the "mother" distribution. There must be public announcement for that. You can't expect companies to select a distribution from the existing jungle, because every company will select something different, and thus create new problems.

If this ain't gonna happen, then linux will always stay niche.

Hotz

In before the next argument: "but that's against the nature of linux, yadda yadda...".

Well then - case closed. Nothing will change.

A

Quote from: Hotz on May 12, 2023, 10:42:41Unfortunately the linux diversity is a huge problem. Not only is it difficult to choose a distro, but every distro has its own problems. Be it because of different UI, different kernel versions, different preinstalled apps, different libs, etc. All these things can hugely increase the error rate - and they do.
Not long ago I tried out 5 popular linux distros and each one of them had something which didn't work, but worked on the others, and vice versa. That's not the desktop experience I would like to recommend users. That's also not an attractive system for 3rd party developers. Just imagine the nightmare you'll have if you want to give support, and each distro has another cause why it fucks up the app.

It's sad. Honestly. In fact I wanted to recommend my family and friends linux, but I simply can't because of all the inconsistencies and madnesses that will come with it.

The only "solution" to linux would be a something like a "mother" distribution (offering a standardized desktop experience with a fixed amount of standard apps, UI, libs, APIs, kernel version etc.), and from which every other linux inherits. Other distro may add their own apps additionally, but in the end, always the "mother" distribution" would be the one to recommend to the common people, and to create new software for.

In order to happen, the linuxers must come together and publicly declare a specific distribution as the "mother" distribution. There must be public announcement for that. You can't expect companies to select a distribution from the existing jungle, because every company will select something different, and thus create new problems.

If this ain't gonna happen, then linux will always stay niche.

You can generally make anything work on any distribution, just a matter of how much work it is. End of the day if you want good defaults, the answer is simply "what is your goal". This is why there isn't a "mother of all" distribution.

If you are a windows user who wants a windows like experience, Linux Mint cinnemon is usually a safe bet. Linux Mint Mate if you are putting it on a really old pc and don't care for the fancy animations and stuff.

The only downside to Linux Mint is that being on LTS release, you won't get access to latest kernel out of box.

If you want more of a Mac/Chrome like interface, opt for PopOS or any Gnome DE like Fedora

If you want a powerful customization while stylish interface, any KDE release like Kubuntu or KDE Fedora

If you want bleeding edge, go for rolling release like Tumbleweed or Manjaro (not as bleeding edge as Arch but based on Arch, has more testing and more user friendly) and pick whichever DE fits your needs

You should see all the release options not as completely different but "pick your favorite default"

As for software working on all releases, there is a simple solution for this. Opt for Flatpak or lesser so appimages. Flatpaks allow for running dependencies that are outside the ones used by the operating system. Same for appimages just appimages are self contained while flatpaks will pull stuff from the internet when needed. Also distrobox which lets you run software in docker, so you can use different os software on any distribution.

Michel Houde

Linux isn`t a distribution, it`s a kernel.

A distribution is a set of softwares running on top of a linux kernel.

You do whatever you want to do from that point.

Diversity is what makes Linux ahead of Windows.

Ringlord

Long time Windows user here, I recently switched to Manjaro Linux (Arch based distro) with a single purpose in mind. Doing a complete gpu passthrough and it worked, I am essentially running two operating systems on the same machine at the same time. You get the best and worst of both worlds, this maybe a little extreme for most users but there you have it. Yes you can game on Windows and yes you can use Linux for servers or whatever. I'm more surprised this method is not the common thing now. I like both worlds, so I have no complaints.

A

Quote from: Ringlord on July 19, 2023, 11:15:25Long time Windows user here, I recently switched to Manjaro Linux (Arch based distro) with a single purpose in mind. Doing a complete gpu passthrough and it worked, I am essentially running two operating systems on the same machine at the same time. You get the best and worst of both worlds, this maybe a little extreme for most users but there you have it. Yes you can game on Windows and yes you can use Linux for servers or whatever. I'm more surprised this method is not the common thing now. I like both worlds, so I have no complaints.

Because GPU passthrough is a recent thing to VMs, even more recent is non-dedicated access to the gpu. Probably because a lot of VM development isn't for desktop but for servers. And with AI needing GPU you see more focus on GPU. But so far no distro really making VMs first other than maybe QubesOS but that is for security and its stuck with Xen for virtualization

Some distros are looking more towards containers though for flexability and maybe more VM first distros will appear.

BTW, if you can get away with it probably less resources to run games in WINE (though not all work out of box and you may need to get dlls via winetricks or other similar software)

JohnIL

Most Linux vs Windows comparisons miss the basic issue. Because people don't use a operating system, they use a operating system to run applications. I don't sit around all day playing with OS settings or anything of the sort. I run applications and if a operating system can't run a certain application it is absolutely no good to me no matter how secure, fast to boot, or reliable it is. As a PC gamer myself I know for a fact Linux sucks for gaming in more ways then just lack of compatible games. But compatibility issues go way beyond just games.I do use Linux but only for a alternative device to access the web and have not ever considered it a possibility to use Linux exclusively. The solution for Linux is to find a way to run more licensed and popular applications for users who could then choose Linux as an alternative to Windows or MacOS.

NikoB

Almost 40% of Ubuntu users vulnerable to new privilege elevation flaws:
www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/almost-40-percent-of-ubuntu-users-vulnerable-to-new-privilege-elevation-flaws/

A

Quote from: NikoB on July 27, 2023, 14:17:30Almost 40% of Ubuntu users vulnerable to new privilege elevation flaws:
lol, didn't you say no one checks the source? Looks like they do.

Also, note that impacts only Ubuntu 23.04, which is latest version of ubuntu, but not LTS. Latest LTS is 22.04. For anyone who doesn't know the difference like you, LTS distros are what most use, while non-LTS are bleeding edge for those who want latest features but more likely to contain bugs

NikoB

In Linux, holes in the code are not fixed for decades, as in and in Windows. These are proven facts. There is no point in "auditing" the code. Moreover, A is not able to audit any code at all. Unlike me, for example, but even I, as a professional, will not do this in view of the madness of the time spent on it. ))

A

Quote from: NikoB on August 07, 2023, 12:50:22In Linux, holes in the code are not fixed for decades, as in and in Windows. These are proven facts. There is no point in "auditing" the code. Moreover, A is not able to audit any code at all. Unlike me, for example, but even I, as a professional, will not do this in view of the madness of the time spent on it. ))

I know you have little clue about coding based on your ridiculous claim of 40% of users being effected with the above when everyone knows that most Ubuntu users are LTS which is not effected. On top of that, the bug you linked is an overlayfs bug with newer kernel versions, which is a bug for those using containers like docker. Aka it is talking about cloud deployments that are using bleeding edge.

Of course since you know nothing about programming, you can't tell the difference. All you know is "bug"

NikoB

To me, who has written hundreds of thousands of lines of the most complex code, it is simply ridiculous to read the opinion of the ignoramus A. Pug can bark at the elephant, maybe she will believe that she is strong...

A

Quote from: NikoB on August 08, 2023, 11:26:56To me, who has written hundreds of thousands of lines of the most complex code, it is simply ridiculous to read the opinion of the ignoramus A. Pug can bark at the elephant, maybe she will believe that she is strong...

"Most complex code" lol

The fact that you linked that link claiming 40% of ubuntu users are effected by an overlayfs issue on non-LTS version of Ubuntu says you have no clue what you are talking about. Anyone who has even basic programming knowledge would not make that kind of mistake.

NikoB

Quote from: A on August 08, 2023, 23:31:22The fact that you linked that link claiming 40% of ubuntu users are effected by an overlayfs issue on non-LTS version of Ubuntu says you have no clue what you are talking about. Anyone who has even basic programming knowledge would not make that kind of mistake.
As usual amateur A writes nonsense.

Hotz

Quote from: A on May 12, 2023, 21:51:36You can generally make anything work on any distribution, just a matter of how much work it is.

That's the problem. It's not worth the amount of work, if there isn't a standard linux desktop experience.

It would only be worth the amount of work, if there was a standard linux desktop experience. Because then would be a standardized way to sort out problems. But this isn't possible if everybody has a different linux distribution installed. Look at how many problems Windows 7 alone has produced, now multiply that with every linux distribution. That would be utter madness. Simply not worth the trouble for anyone but hardcore enthusiasts.

Without a standard desktop linux experience, everybody would use another distribution, which all come with their own kernel versions, package managers, UI managers, different apps, etc. - which in combination produce their own problems. What works for person A, does not work for person B. And what works for person B does not work for person A. It would be madness trying to give support for such a chaos. Consequently most companies don't want to give linux support, nor want to write software for such a chaos.

Quote from: Michel Houde on May 18, 2023, 17:00:16Linux isn`t a distribution, it`s a kernel.

A distribution is a set of softwares running on top of a linux kernel.

No s*** sherlock. Doesn't change the problems I mentioned.

QuoteDiversity is what makes Linux ahead of Windows.

Only for servers and industrial purposes, but not as a desktop user experience.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview