News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Fascinating CT scan compares Apple's US$199 Thunderbolt 4 Pro cable with Amazon Basics cable

Started by Redaktion, October 19, 2023, 23:57:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Apple's Thunderbolt 4 Pro cable is extremely expensive at a price of US$199 for a length of 1.8 meters. A CT scan shows the inner workings of the high-end cable and, by comparing it to cheaper cables, at least partly explains why Apple's price is so high.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Fascinating-CT-scan-compares-Apple-s-US-199-Thunderbolt-4-Pro-cable-with-Amazon-Basics-cable.760890.0.html

markiz

Why did he not compare it to a cable of identical specifications, like you also said in the article?
What is the point? Just a fluffer.

George

I'd also wonder why he did not scan the 'Goodlink' cable?

Actually not all 'USBC' or TB4 cables are alike and the differences are more than simply length and costs.

Some cables (like the Apple one pictured) might be have 'active' components embedded in the connectors to amplify the signal.

Try using a inexpensive 'Amazon Basics' or other inexpensive 'high speed 100W charging' cable with a eGPU enclosure and chances are it may not actually function (other than power being supplied).

However a quality high speed cable with active elements embedded in the connectors might work fine.

Yes, they are more expensive for a reason.

anan

Yeah, they could have included at least one other thunderbolt cable. Those active 40gbps TB4 cables are expensive for a reason.
But some inexpensive chinese cables have transparent end caps to display the chips inside. Wonder if those are fake if one can simply directly connect pins to wires and still get 10gpbs data.

Luke M

Worthless article is worthless...  Comparing thunderbolt cables to USB cables is totally pointless unless your point is about the differences between the USB protocol and the Thunderbolt protocol.  How about a comparison of Apple's thunderbolt cables to another Brand's thunderbolt 4 cable...?

B

I'm eagerly awaiting the follow up article where they compare the circuitry of a Gen 5 NVMe drive to a USB 2.0 thumb drive, so we can all marvel at how useless the information is, amazed that we actually clicked on such a trash article. (I just blocked this garbage site from my news feed.)

Redeyed.Hellcat

I wonder why all anyone can do is just complain about every little thing they can. If you don't like what the article is about don't read it. You actually wasted more of your time to go out of your way and whine about it like that's the single most important thing you had to do with your entire day! At least he's working and doing something productive and not sitting around mom and dads basement suite playing Halo and talking with your buddies if maybe "this will be the year you finally touch...", well I'll leave you to speculate that one. Wow, just unreal...

Just passingby

Quote from: Redeyed.Hellcat on October 23, 2023, 13:26:35I wonder why all anyone can do is just complain about every little thing they can. If you don't like what the article is about don't read it. You actually wasted more of your time to go out of your way and whine about it like that's the single most important thing you had to do with your entire day! At least he's working and doing something productive and not sitting around mom and dads basement suite playing Halo and talking with your buddies if maybe "this will be the year you finally touch...", well I'll leave you to speculate that one. Wow, just unreal...

That's a lot of ad hominem personal attacking against valid critique. You should apply everything you said about wasting time reading and complaining about the article to yourself doing the same to comments.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview