News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

GPD Win Max 2 handheld gaming PC review: Intel Core i7-1260P or AMD Ryzen 7 6800U?

Started by Redaktion, July 09, 2022, 19:32:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Win Max 2 is trying to be a lot of things at once for gamers, artists, office workers, and students. To our surprise, it actually works very well on all fronts to be a huge improvement over the original Win Max thanks to both design improvements and Intel's new 12th gen CPU.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/GPD-Win-Max-2-handheld-gaming-PC-review-Intel-Core-i7-1260P-or-AMD-Ryzen-7-6800U.633565.0.html

Intel biased

Have a look at the video here

"Intel 1260P Vs. AMD 6800U - GPD Win Max 2 Benchmark Comparison. THE BEST GAMING HANDHELD!"
www youtube com/watch?v=rHBLFVZAc7I&feature=emb_logo

and realise a simple thing. The Intel version is too expensive next to the Ryzen one. The Intel version exists probably to keep Intel happy.

Ignore the usual hype from this author about Intel.

JMO

chrisbrown

Sad to see no RJ45 plug  :(  That's a deal breaker for me with my work requirements.  Wonder if USB4 will be available via a bios update now that AMD has drivers to finally make USB4 work with 6000 series cpu's.  I'd gladly like to see a business version that has RJ45 instead of vibration motors!

Digitalguy

I am glad you made this review so early guys! One question, have you tried the silent fan mode? (I think it's FN + Shift). Does it stay silent? And, especially, does the device get hot in this mode?

Marko

The Indiegogo site says the AMD version gets USB4 for connecting eGPUs. Could you clarify this as your review says otherwise?

_MT_

Quote from: Marko on July 10, 2022, 00:55:47The Indiegogo site says the AMD version gets USB4 for connecting eGPUs. Could you clarify this as your review says otherwise?
You'll probably have to wait for a BIOS update. As I understand it, the short story is that AMD wasn't ready at launch. The processor can do it but firmware can't. And since it seems that Microsoft requires PCIe tunnelling on all external USB4 ports, nobody uses plain-old USB4 as they would fail Microsoft's testing. Instead, they downgrade those ports to USB 3.2.

Marko

Quote from: _MT_ on July 10, 2022, 09:54:46
Quote from: Marko on July 10, 2022, 00:55:47The Indiegogo site says the AMD version gets USB4 for connecting eGPUs. Could you clarify this as your review says otherwise?
You'll probably have to wait for a BIOS update. As I understand it, the short story is that AMD wasn't ready at launch. The processor can do it but firmware can't. And since it seems that Microsoft requires PCIe tunnelling on all external USB4 ports, nobody uses plain-old USB4 as they would fail Microsoft's testing. Instead, they downgrade those ports to USB 3.2.

Yeah I figured that is probably the case. But in other reviews these guys normally point this out, and in this review they explicitly said no, so that confused me a bit, especially since it is the opposite of what indiegogo page says. So I was wondering if they knew more or had some insider information thar made this a no go.

Ju

In the Pros, i think you miss the presence of internal gamepad. Both gamepad and full keyboard is unique to this machine. Best

10basetom

I picked up my 2-lb laptop, pretended it had thumbsticks on each side, and tried to hold it as a game controller for 15 minutes....umm, NO, I think I'll give it a hard pass.

Jared

Legit question, why bother with integrating the game pad into the chassis when you can pair a Xbox controller via BT or USB?

fire888

Quote from: Jared on July 13, 2022, 02:59:24Legit question, why bother with integrating the game pad into the chassis when you can pair a Xbox controller via BT or USB?

because it's designed for handheld gamer in the 1st place. It is more of a handheld that could do laptop tasks
we want to play while holding it in front of our face, so we can play it even while walking, lying down, or even poop-ing :D

if u're ok with setting it on the table and pairing an xbox controller, then u'd better buying a laptop. U could get bigger screen, around the same weight, and better gpu with around the same price.

Ian

Quote from: Just a stranger... on July 18, 2022, 02:15:49Does the Win Max 2 have TPM 2.0 support?

It sure has as Win 11 is pre installed. Actually TPM2 is part of the new INTEL/AMD CPUs so no extra chip is needed.

10basetom

Integrating a gamepad on a 2.3-pound device is a head scratcher. Are they expecting to start a drum carrier accessories business? ;)

https://www.steveweissmusic.com/category/marching-snare-drum-carriers

Cooe

Why did you review the Intel version that nobody gives a crap about?... -_- ... Is this site deliberately TRYING to suck??? O_o These reviews seem like way too much work to waste it all on SKU's nobody but a total idiot would ever buy.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview