News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme (i7, 4K-HDR, GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q) Laptop Review

Started by Redaktion, September 27, 2018, 00:40:29

Previous topic - Next topic

samuelk

Quote from: Chase on October 04, 2018, 16:29:01
My X1 extreme was 72Wh fully charged out of box as well. After a battery gauge reset, it's 82Wh fully charged, even higher than the designed capacity ::)

Thanks for the insight Chase!
1- how did you reset the gauge?
2- how's your battery life experience in comparison with notebookcheck's measure?? or other computer you maybe dealt with?

Browny

Is there any technical explanation why OEMs won't configure 3x3 WLAN modules on Windows laptops? Currently the Intel 9560 / 9260 is capped at 650 Mbits vs its advertised speed of 1.73 Gbps. Bluetooth also appears to be limited to 4.0 in WIndows 10. Looks like if anything 9560 is only more expensive and takes away backward compatibility with older chips. Unless I'm missing something here.

Teun

This would've been end game with a GTX 1070 max-q and a removeable battery. But it isn't, so it's another XPS clone gone 'wrong'. No XPS replacement needed if it doesn't improve on anything other than perhaps the keyboard (the XPS keyboard is rock solid already anyways).

M2018

@Teun
"the XPS keyboard is rock solid already anyways"

Is it true? Because everyone is complaining about the crappy keyboard.

Chase

You can do it in the Lenovo Vantage app.
For the battery life I can't say much compared to the reviewed model cause mine X1x is undervolted and with a FHD display. It can last 8+ hrs for normal use.
Quote from: samuelk on October 04, 2018, 19:22:47
Quote from: Chase on October 04, 2018, 16:29:01
My X1 extreme was 72Wh fully charged out of box as well. After a battery gauge reset, it's 82Wh fully charged, even higher than the designed capacity ::)

Thanks for the insight Chase!
1- how did you reset the gauge?
2- how's your battery life experience in comparison with notebookcheck's measure?? or other computer you maybe dealt with?

NBC User

"fans occasionally spin up while idling"

Does this still happens after undervolting or only with default settings?

Marios

Is the USB-C port 4x lane for external GPU support?  I couldn't find that explicitly stated either in the review or the comments.

Vance

WWAN

EDIT - With annual "save 30%" holiday deal from Lenovo US the X1E is $1,445 for the same configuration as base i7 XPS 15 except with Win 10 Home ($2,064 as configured, -$619 item discount).

Kris

Any chance of including the DPC Latency figures for this (and other laptops) as it makes the difference between these being great for audio use and totally useless. Amazes me that reviews don't include it.

suburbazine

I did some quick stats gathering for USB-C charging if anyone is interested:

r/thinkpad/comments/9tdtrb/x1e_really_does_support_that/

Charge stats:

USB-C Charge Rate (Idle, 87w power supply):

~50 watts @ 5% (Total power ~68 watts)

~51 watts @ 25% (Total power ~69 watts)

~52 watts @ 50% (Total power ~69 watts)

~54 watts @ 75% (Total power ~68 watts)

~50 watts @ 80% (Total power ~65 watts)

~29 watts @ 90% (Total power ~44 watts)

~15 watts @ 95% (Total power ~30 watts)

~8 watts @ 98% (Total power ~23 watts)

USB-C Charge Time (1-80%, 87w power supply, Idle, max bright): 1 hour, 11 minutes.

USB-C Charge Time (80-95%, 87w power supply, Idle, max bright): 28 minutes

USB-C Charge Time (80-100%, 87w power supply, Idle, max bright): 56 minutes

spikinglis

::)
when do you finally learn the distinction between "discreet" and "discrete"?
dedicated video cards are discrete (i.e. standing apart, not the same as integrated). Some people may be discreet, i.e. considerate, especially about something private. Pointing out that your colleague forgotten to zip his pants after using a restroom should be discreet.

domanagare

Thanks for this review - it helped me a lot with my decision X1 extreme or MacBook pro.
Why do you state the 4k Display was bit only? The specs show 8+2bit what tells me it actually is a HDR10 panel... (nonetheless it does not meet the HDR10 requirements of 1000nits).

DisappointedJoe

Did you test a standard "off the shelf" model or did Lenovo send you a specifically pre-tuned/tampered model to test?

My generic online store model delivery disappointing benchmark results:
Specs: i7-8750H, 32GB, 1x 2TB Samsung 970 EVO

Cinebench 15 x64, Windows 10 Pro x64, latest drivers, clean install
~875 points (stock)
~1010 points (undervolted)

Undervolted in XTU
-0.155mAh, 57Watt (sustain), 78Watt (peak)

This is nowhere near your 1200+ results, and I could have spent my 2600EUR on a better laptop!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview