News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme (i7, 4K-HDR, GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q) Laptop Review

Started by Redaktion, September 27, 2018, 00:40:29

Previous topic - Next topic

S.Yu

Quote from: WWAN on October 01, 2018, 14:56:42
@S. Yu:
Clearly you've missed my point since I've been here talking about my own use case and my wishes on a whim the entire time, while you were over there making false assumptions about everyone and everything.
At least 70% of your last reply was about other things, yeah, and the rest is your narcissism which is entirely useless information to everybody else.
Since the ~$1000 base model XPS15, which is entirely differently positioned from this model, better fits your needs instead, your rant in the comments of this model is meaningless and pure trolling.

Vance

confused

Pricing really depends on location. You cannot compare EU to US prices. EU includes 20% VAT and 3 year onsite warranty. US has much lower tax rates due to less regulation and models only 1 year depot warranty.

The XPS 15 that starts at $999 comes without nvidia graphics and with HDD. This isn't a fair comparison as the base model X1E comes with a dGPU and 256 GB SSD. The equivalent XPS 15 model costs closer to almost $1400. Yes, the base model X1E still costs more but the gap isn't as big as you make it out to be.

In the UK, the X1E is actually cheaper than the XPS 15 (again comparing base models with exact same specs / configuration). Like I said, depends on location.

Anthony D

Quote from: M2018 on October 01, 2018, 09:44:58
@ danielee0707
,,Plus your XPS is way uglier and duller."

Only hell is uglier, than Crapovo!  :D

I don't know about that.  I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but th Dell mixed materials madness of aluminum, carbon fiber and cheap plastic is one of the ugliest things I have ever seen. That and the obsurd location of the camera is probably the 2 main reasons I haven't bought one.

M2018

@ Anthony D
Well, if you prefer Lenovo's "gorgeous" design from mid-nineties and "luxurious" plastic then OK, buy one  ;D

WWAN

@confused:

That's a good point about the situation in the UK.
Though keeping in mind that everywhere else in the world is more or less the same or worse than the EU, importing from the US should be the most cost effective solution. And for customers in many countries unfortunately importing is the only option.

To set an even match, both laptops configured to i7-8750H, 1050 Ti, Win10 Pro, FHD, 8GB RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD and biggest batteries are

XPS 15 9570: $1,440 USD / X1E: $2,060 USD

That's more than $600 of disparity verging on a cost of another laptop that could be spent elsewhere. Furthermore this number shoots up when customizing for top specs (Thinkpads seem to charge more) and counting the mandatory state/import taxes, regional VAT, shipping fees, etc.

Of course all that is worthwhile when you know you're buying a Thinkpad. How much of it is really though? Where is the replaceable keyboard, the drain-holes, magnesium plate (modernized roll-cage), dual hinges, removable battery, WWAN module and simple serviceability of Thinkpads? The sore truth is this may be Lenovo's hungry last-minute attempt at a carbon-copy of the XPS 15 for a piece of market share, painted in Thinkpad colors and wrapped in business tax bills.

Still, should people want better inputs, a second storage slot, and that timeless "suit of all laptops" design for extra cash, choosing the X1E is most definitely sensible.

KevinW

LAAN

Is there any requirement on minimum USB-C charger wattage? For example, would the standard Lenovo USB-C Laptop Power Bank (14000mAh) work? (don't know it's max charging wattage)

Greg

Anthony D

@M2018 Will do.  Definitely looks better than some poor design by committee mashup of the XPS 15. :)

samuelk

Hi and thanks notebookcheck for again a comprehensive review of a laptop!

Have you reached out to Lenovo about the very disapointing battery life and measured 72Wh?
Any feedback on their side?

Chase

My X1 extreme was 72Wh fully charged out of box as well. After a battery gauge reset, it's 82Wh fully charged, even higher than the designed capacity ::)

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview