News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

The Steam Deck and Linux gaming have a problem: ProtonDB sucks - let me explain

Started by Redaktion, April 25, 2024, 03:42:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

ProtonDB is the Linux gaming community's attempt at trying to fix Steam's lack of compatibility documentation surrounding Windows games on Linux. It is a fantastic tool for Linux gamers, but unfortunately, it only adds to the chaos, thanks to how games are labelled.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Steam-Deck-and-Linux-gaming-have-a-problem-ProtonDB-sucks-let-me-explain.829702.0.html

indy

I'm just a casual steam deck player, but so far two months in it's been near-flawless with every game in my library...all acquired before Steam Deck!

Pretty impressed so far. And I like that I can hop into a desktop mode and use Firefox quite easily.

No intentions of returning to Windows ever again.

A

The rating system is based on WINE's rating system. But do understand something fundamental between WINE that runs all kinds of software and Proton that runs games. For software, a bronze rating may be acceptable because maybe the features you need work and what doesn't work is stuff you normally don't use. But for games, the story is different. Unless a game is both single player and multiplayer and the multiplayer doesn't work, it is pretty much certain you will run into issues if it is Bronze

If you are a casual player, you should pretend Bronze means does not work. Bronze is more for developers and tinkerers to say "Hey this game almost works, see if you can fix it or create a workaround"

alex_weasel

Bronze is basically an indication that it's not worth playing lol.

If I look for playable games, I start at silver.
Especially competitive online games you don't want to play with bronze anyway, crashes suck out all the joy of these games, for yourself and your party members.

Hotz

QuoteThe problem with this medal system, is that it doesn't give users enough information at a glance.

Yep. The fact that "Gold" medals still require to tinker around, is in my opinion misleading. When I first saw ProtonDB I was like "wooaaah amazing, so many things just work!" - but the reality was nothing worked out of the box correctly except "Platinum".

The number of medals should be reduced to 3 maximum, and use Gold as the topmost one, and not "Platinum", which may actually be confused with "Silver" due to the similar color, and because Gold is simply more conventional in our society as number#1 (sports etc.)

But that's Linux... they always do things different, shits on standards, twist it, fcks your head around, and then wonder why no one uses it...

slim.jim

QuoteBut that's Linux... they always do things different, shits on standards, twist it, fcks your head around, and then wonder why no one uses it...

Ehm, really? 'Always' hmmm? The story of how to tank the credibility of your post in 2 seconds...

Hotz

Quote from: slim.jim on April 25, 2024, 09:34:21
QuoteBut that's Linux... they always do things different, shits on standards, twist it, fcks your head around, and then wonder why no one uses it...

Ehm, really? 'Always' hmmm? The story of how to tank the credibility of your post in 2 seconds...

Not sure what you are on to. Probably nitpicking things?

Greg

OH WAIT, THAT'S RIGHT.  YOU DIDN'T PAY A DOLLAR, AND ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT A VALUABLE RESOURCE THAT FITS A NEED, CREATED BY ANOTHER USER, FOR LINUX USERS, BECAUSE YOU'RE AN UNHAPPY "CUSTOMER."

I know you're new, but let me explain something about Linux.  Many newbies get this wrong, and I smack them daily if I see it.  There is no complaining in Linux.  If something isn't working for you, you can do one of three things:

1) Write a different one
2) Help improve the current one
3) Use something else

Hotz

Amusing... that's exactly why Linux on the desktop is where it is now.

"Don't like it? Shut up! I ain't doing compromises. Make yourself! Don't let the door hit you."

"Hello NeutronDB!! The new community driven platform for games on Linux - now with only 3 medals!"

Another confused user leaves the chat...

... w.t.f.

A

Quote from: Hotz on April 25, 2024, 09:11:09
QuoteThe problem with this medal system, is that it doesn't give users enough information at a glance.

Yep. The fact that "Gold" medals still require to tinker around, is in my opinion misleading. When I first saw ProtonDB I was like "wooaaah amazing, so many things just work!" - but the reality was nothing worked out of the box correctly except "Platinum".

The number of medals should be reduced to 3 maximum, and use Gold as the topmost one, and not "Platinum", which may actually be confused with "Silver" due to the similar color, and because Gold is simply more conventional in our society as number#1 (sports etc.)

But that's Linux... they always do things different, shits on standards, twist it, fcks your head around, and then wonder why no one uses it...

I understand the confusion and I do agree that it is confusing.

That said, it has nothing to do with being different. Long ago, Gold was considered the highest rating but it then reshuffled and Platinum was added above it.

I don't think though the system should be reduced to 3, but I do agree the medal system should be removed and changed to stars. This way nobody would be confused if there is more above it and bronze sounds like a medal you'd give someone for doing something very well, where as 2 stars would be pretty obvious its crap

debbie

Haha yes, linux gaming have a big problem, a big big big problem, but ProtonDB is not it.

That title is super click baity, but should be that ProtonDB has a problem, not linux gaming. Because you can game the same with or without protonDB. Oh wait actually, you can game better with protonDB because it helps you to configure the game to run...

Nobody forces you to use it, good luck without it!

I don't dispute that ProtonDB format isn't ideal. It isn't. But to say that it sucks and it is problem for gaming. LOL!

indy

Literally the most popular operation system(kernel, specifically) on the planet. By a LOT. Android(Linux)+Linux desktop+Linux server... It isn't even close.

Hotz

Quote from: indy on April 25, 2024, 17:02:43

Literally the most popular operation system(kernel, specifically) on the planet. By a LOT. Android(Linux)+Linux desktop+Linux server... It isn't even close.

Dude... obviously I meant Linux on desktop (and partially gaming handhelds) - because that's what the article is about. We are not talking here about Linux for servers and android.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview