News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

The Lenovo Legion Pro 5 16 is the best budget gaming laptop that can double as an office laptop

Started by Redaktion, November 16, 2023, 23:57:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Most gaming laptops have extravagant and eye-catching designs, something that isn't necessarily welcome in the workplace. If you want one single laptop for gaming and taking to the office, the 16-inch Lenovo Legion Pro 5 might just fit the bill thanks to its discreet looks and powerful components.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Lenovo-Legion-Pro-5-16-is-the-best-budget-gaming-laptop-that-can-double-as-an-office-laptop.768971.0.html

ver

I totally agree with the author.
I do belong to that part of the population that uses his laptop mainly for work, but enjoys some sporadic game sessions whenever possible. I would not feel comfortable with the alien spacecraft design in the office. Fortunately, there are decent workstation that are filling this gap by adding a dedicated graphic in a sober case.

Luka Stemberger

B&H has an incredible Black Friday deal for Lenovo Pro 5i Legion right now. I bought it, can't wait for it to arrive.
i9-13900HX / 4070 / 32GB RAM for $1399.
Absolute best bang for buck. And there's a same config with a 4080 for $1899 which is one of the cheapest 4080 laptops ever.

NikoB

Quote from: capnkimo on November 17, 2023, 23:20:43it would fit in the office more without that big LEGION logo
If you really want to work, and not checkers, you should not care what logo is on the lid.

For an office, if you work on a laptop screen, a large diagnostic image is much more important. 17.3-18" is much better with 4k panels. But alas, there are very few of them and they are all "gaming", although in the office a discrete video chip is not needed, or at best 4050.

Therefore, for the office it is much better to have a 16:10 18" 4k@144Hz and a classic keyboard with a full numpad and keys that are full in height and width, which easily fit into 17.3-18" models.

For an office, a reserve of performance is important, without the need for an upgrade due to the processor and RAM.

Now for an office for high-load work (for example, a software developer), the 7945HX+4060 is much better as a universal one.
64GB of RAM and 2+2TB SSD cover the needs for 3 years in advance. And then the laptop simply changes, because it pays for itself many times over.

For ordinary office plankton, such solutions are redundant.

A

Quote from: NikoB on November 18, 2023, 17:04:58Therefore, for the office it is much better to have a 16:10 18" 4k@144Hz and a classic keyboard with a full numpad and keys that are full in height and width, which easily fit into 17.3-18" models.
Or you can be a sane person and connect your 13-15" laptop to 24-27" desktop display in the office.

Quote from: NikoB on November 18, 2023, 17:04:58Now for an office for high-load work (for example, a software developer), the 7945HX+4060 is much better as a universal one.
64GB of RAM and 2+2TB SSD cover the needs for 3 years in advance
"High load work"... Thanks for sharing your thoughts about devs needing gaming PCs to work lol. Clearly you never been a developer and have no idea.

capnkimo

Quote from: NikoB on November 18, 2023, 17:04:58
Quote from: capnkimo on November 17, 2023, 23:20:43it would fit in the office more without that big LEGION logo
If you really want to work, and not checkers, you should not care what logo is on the lid.

For an office, if you work on a laptop screen, a large diagnostic image is much more important. 17.3-18" is much better with 4k panels. But alas, there are very few of them and they are all "gaming", although in the office a discrete video chip is not needed, or at best 4050.

Therefore, for the office it is much better to have a 16:10 18" 4k@144Hz and a classic keyboard with a full numpad and keys that are full in height and width, which easily fit into 17.3-18" models.

For an office, a reserve of performance is important, without the need for an upgrade due to the processor and RAM.

Now for an office for high-load work (for example, a software developer), the 7945HX+4060 is much better as a universal one.
64GB of RAM and 2+2TB SSD cover the needs for 3 years in advance. And then the laptop simply changes, because it pays for itself many times over.

For ordinary office plankton, such solutions are redundant.
i agree people shouldnt care, although some people will feel a bit self-conscious bringing that laptop into a meeting, the back of the laptop will be visible to the people in the meeting

NikoB

Quote from: capnkimo on November 18, 2023, 17:58:55i agree people shouldnt care, although some people will feel a bit self-conscious bringing that laptop into a meeting, the back of the laptop will be visible to the people in the meeting
Apparently these people and with whom they meet only think about a stupid image, instead of real work, which means they are all parasitic dummies, with which more than 50% of all corporations in the world are filled. There are less than 30% of truly useful and productive people in companies.

NikoB

A person who is really busy with useful work doesn't care what the tools (clothes, shoes and etc.) look like, as long as they are functionally comfortable and not dirty.

A

Quote from: capnkimo on November 18, 2023, 17:58:55i agree people shouldnt care, although some people will feel a bit self-conscious bringing that laptop into a meeting, the back of the laptop will be visible to the people in the meeting
I always enjoy watching first 10 seconds of this video in regard of gaming laptops at work
youtube.com/watch?v=chBrDqnimSo

Mrt

Quote from: A on November 18, 2023, 17:54:44"High load work"... Thanks for sharing your thoughts about devs needing gaming PCs to work lol. Clearly you never been a developer and have no idea.

You're right but for the wrong reason. Big companies don't have a separate category for power users. They order 2000 laptops in the same shitty, throtlling after 2 mins 14inch chassis and configure it with intel i7 and maybe add 32gb ram if you're in IT. I have one of those and i hate how slow it is. I'm often stuck for hours waiting for compilation to finish. I'd prefer to work on Legion.

A

Quote from: Mrt on November 28, 2023, 09:26:05I'm often stuck for hours waiting for compilation to finish.
Compilation for hours? Did they give you Atom-based laptops or something.

NikoB

Quote from: Mrt on November 28, 2023, 09:26:05
Quote from: A on November 18, 2023, 17:54:44"High load work"... Thanks for sharing your thoughts about devs needing gaming PCs to work lol. Clearly you never been a developer and have no idea.

You're right but for the wrong reason. Big companies don't have a separate category for power users. They order 2000 laptops in the same shitty, throtlling after 2 mins 14inch chassis and configure it with intel i7 and maybe add 32gb ram if you're in IT. I have one of those and i hate how slow it is. I'm often stuck for hours waiting for compilation to finish. I'd prefer to work on Legion.
Ah, an extremely stupid bot or a chatbot in general, judging by the degree of stupidity of its answers.

I myself witnessed at one of my jobs, a very long time ago (more than 10 years ago, so you understand the level of salary if converted into today's 2023 US dollars), when a developer earning more than $3,500 per month (and this is not in the USA) was so a slow system unit that building a heavy .net project took more than 5 minutes. And the managers didn't care about everything... The computer (system unit) he used cost less than 1/4 of his monthly take-home pay. And 2 of his monitors are even cheaper. Purchasing managers refused him a new powerful system unit (because used current garbage was purchased not very long ago) and the purchase of even decent monitors that suited him individually, and the price practically coincided with the garbage that they bought en masse for staff (almost certainly for kickbacks from the seller). Some workers ended up using their equipment. Some people bought their own powerful laptops. The guy ended up quitting. I was very sorry, we became friends and he really was a good developer, well above the average level. And there was a terrible turnover there. After about 7-8 months, having received all possible bonuses, I left there too.

A

Quote from: NikoB on November 28, 2023, 18:18:13more than 10 years ago
Quote from: NikoB on November 28, 2023, 18:18:13heavy .net project
Lol, .NET is 7 years old.

Didn't read the rest of this made up bs.

NikoB, what keeps you trying every day when it's clear you are a lying failure?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview