News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Naver Whale: A lovely freeware web browser for those looking to break free of Edge and Chrome's stranglehold

Started by Redaktion, September 21, 2023, 21:05:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Whale by Naver is like a breath of fresh air in the crowded Web browser market. The browser hails from Korea; it looks great, it has additional features that are actually useful, like screen recording in GIF format, and it is compatible with extensions found in the Chrome web store.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Naver-Whale-A-lovely-freeware-web-browser-for-those-looking-to-break-free-of-Edge-and-Chrome-s-stranglehold.752746.0.html

Joe

Hi Sergei. I like where your thoughts are going with the articles you pen, but I think a lot of the messages are off. For example, you talk about breaking free of Chrome while forgetting that by using Edge, Whale or Brave, you are still using a Blink based browser so it's like putting bandages on an open wound. Unfortunately, Google sets the trend for browsers and unless more of them switch to custom engines you won't really escape from their clutches. The only real viable alternative to Chrome is Firefox but it's no saint either.
Browsers like Pale Moon, GNOME Web, Basilisk are interesting choices, but they're niche, they offer a worse browsing experience for now and if you look at lightweight browsers running on custom engines like Netsurf, they are not efficient at running modern websites with loads of ads and third party code and Javascripts which they can't block completely.
I think it's nice that you focus on an alternative less known browser but you could be more objective when it comes to talking about Chrome alternatives. No disrespect meant.

WLLM

Agreed with Joe.

The first viable (yet unperfect) alternative to Chrome/Edge is Mozilla Firefox. It's lightyears ahead of Chrome/Edge in terms of privacy, web standard and honestly, is as fast as those 2 yet more light on RAM.

I like the fact you promote alternatives, but dont forget all the open-source / user-interest drivens alternatives ... Edge & Chrome are tools for their crafters (Google & MS) to have users even more dependent on them.

Sеrgey

Quoteyou are still using a Blink based browser so it's like putting bandages on an open wound

I know! If Opera 12 was able to load the websites I use daily, I would keep using it without a second thought. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

Whale is not sending any of my data to Google or Microsoft or Amazon or Yandex. And it looks better than anything I have seen thus far, including Safari. Both points matter to me.

QuoteMozilla Firefox

I am a proud Firefox user. It's just that, depending on the task, Chromium-based browsers can be noticeably better than Firefox is. In my experience, Firefox takes twice as much time as Chromium-based browsers to load a YouTube page. I am not saying that's Mozilla's fault. But, if something can be done in 2 seconds instead of 5 seconds, I just go for the faster option and many people would do exactly the same, imagine.

Sеrgey

QuoteWe will fixed bugs what you said

Is this really one of the people behind Whale?

There is no need to fix anything. Whale is awesome the way it is, apart from the unexpected behaviour of the "Stop loading page" / "Refresh page" button.

Pweeee

naver whale

Quote from: Sеrgey on September 23, 2023, 09:14:26
QuoteWe will fixed bugs what you said

Is this really one of the people behind Whale?

There is no need to fix anything. Whale is awesome the way it is, apart from the unexpected behaviour of the "Stop loading page" / "Refresh page" button.

Thanks for your posting

Kurochki Zharenie

"Edge & Opera GX both have been great but this still looks fairly unpolished"

Edge is a great web browser? Bollоcks! Just a couple of days ago, an Edge update somehow signed me out of all of the websites I use daily. It is usable and it looks good but please do not call it GREAT.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview