News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

The new 2020 MacBook Air Core i5 has arrived: Faster CPU, but still way too loud

Started by Redaktion, April 01, 2020, 00:35:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

After the upgrade to the much improved Retina screen, Apple now takes care of two more problems of the MacBook Air with the latest 2020 model. The heavily criticized Butterfly keyboard is replaced with a conventional input and custom Intel processors are supposed to improve the performance. But does it work?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-new-2020-MacBook-Air-Core-i5-has-arrived-Faster-CPU-but-still-way-too-loud.459603.0.html

william blake

the evidence of human stupidity
loud for no reason, just annoyingly loud all the time
but the best-seller, the thing making billions of money for the manufacturer

PPedal

Yes marketing is a good thing. And wanting to be special. This laptop with medium specs just works. When it actually does.

So it is half as good an twice as expensive as many others. That is Smart!
Just not for people who bought it.

mohamed kamal

please speak in detail about the i3 vs i5 comparison. I think that most users would be interested in this discussion, because most reviewers just recommend the i5 due to the bang for buck benefits, but what is the real world difference in performance? what situations benefit from the i5? and what types of users need the i3 vs the i5?

fasddsadasdas

Quote from: mohamed kamal on April 01, 2020, 07:59:08
please speak in detail about the i3 vs i5 comparison. I think that most users would be interested in this discussion, because most reviewers just recommend the i5 due to the bang for buck benefits, but what is the real world difference in performance? what situations benefit from the i5? and what types of users need the i3 vs the i5?
What needs explanation?
An i3 scores almost half of an i5. Plus the GPU inside the i3 is much slower than the one in the i5. So 100$ extra is worth it.

A.

Could you please find out whether the RAM is dual-channel? Nowhere on the internet have I been able to find the answer, not even for older models. In other words, do the 8Gb of RAM come as two 4Gb modules, or as a single 8Gb module?

JMac

Quote from: PPedal on April 01, 2020, 02:03:14
Yes marketing is a good thing. And wanting to be special. This laptop with medium specs just works. When it actually does.

Not like windows Ultrabooks are much cheaper, especially not something with equivalent build quality. Value actually seems pretty good compared to the new xps or surface laptop line. 

good_advice

Quote from: JMac on April 01, 2020, 10:59:30
Quote from: PPedal on April 01, 2020, 02:03:14

Not like windows Ultrabooks are much cheaper, especially not something with equivalent build quality. Value actually seems pretty good compared to the new xps or surface laptop line. 

Hmm, I'm not sure how is it on Macbook Air side, but Macbook Pro 16 vs Dell XPS 15 is like double the price for the same specs. And just to be clear, I know how nice Mac OS is, and if someone thinks it's worth double the price, I'm also not questioning that. It's just still double the price, not even close to equal... But maybe with XPS 13 and Air it's comparable - do you have some numbers?

WillM

Not everywhere...

At least Apple's prices are consistent, and follow the same patterns in all global regions. Dell prices, OTOH, can vary wildly between countries, or even between dealers in the same country. Not to mention their availability, or better said, lack of it.

In my neck of the woods, Dell's are obnoxiously overpriced, even compared to Apple. In other words, they have some serious distribution issues.

Klaus Hinum

Quote from: A. on April 01, 2020, 10:07:59
Could you please find out whether the RAM is dual-channel?

According to the system report in macOS it is dual-channel. Channel A and B with each 4 GB LPDDR4-3733 by SK Hynix
Wurde Dir von einem in unserem Forum oder durch Notebookcheck geholfen? Dann verfass doch einen User Testbericht über dein Notebook und gib damit etwas an die Community zurück!

Chockino

Quote from: fasddsadasdas on April 01, 2020, 08:36:19
Quote from: mohamed kamal on April 01, 2020, 07:59:08
What needs explanation?
An i3 scores almost half of an i5. Plus the GPU inside the i3 is much slower than the one in the i5. So 100$ extra is worth it.

Yes but due to the cooling solution, the i5 might be so much more limited by the heat.

taricc

okay, love my macbook retina 2017, especially that it's completely silent. 
Now about this fan in the new MBA - if I open it up and disconnect or block the fan, what performance drop could I expect? just guesses are fine...

Milly

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview