News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Uperfect UStation Delta review: Portable monitor with dual 15.6-inch displays expands the desktop

Started by Redaktion, August 20, 2023, 22:00:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Uperfect has announced the UStation Delta, an unusual monitor that effortlessly expands the mobile workspace with two 15.6-inch displays. The company has provided us with a prototype, and we will take a closer look at the display as well as potential use scenarios for it.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Uperfect-UStation-Delta-review-Portable-monitor-with-dual-15-6-inch-displays-expands-the-desktop.742508.0.html

Swizzy

Price performance is non existing here. What an awful price for a mediocre product that should cost no more than 200.

Neenyah

They use Photoshop in the promo materials to show its targeted usage and that's fine, seems like an excellent portable solution for that...

But the key is PORTABLE. 200-ish nits is barely enough to use inside when it's a sunny day and as an extra bonus there is quite horrendous colour coverage for any serious colour accurate work (so, Photoshop in promo stuff). 73% sRGB and 52% NTSC is tragic in 2023 for that price. For $150 it would be fine.

At least the panel is fairly fast and there is no PWM.

Sam Avery-Quinn

Thank you for this review. Looks like I dodged a bullet when I cancelled my order in July. Just a note: Uperfect advertised this dual-display monitor on their website back in early June with $200 off for a Father's Day sale. At the time they claimed the monitor would ship at the end of June. Then at the end of the month they revised that to shipping by late July. Then around July 20th they revised that again to "Launching Soon on Kickstarter." When I tried to cancel my order (I didn't pay for something that would maybe, someday, eventually launch a Kickstarter and we all know how long those campaigns can take), a Uperfect customer support team member claimed that wasn't accurate and the monitor was "in production" and would "ship very soon." That launched over a week of back-and-forth with me eventually contacting Klarna with an "item not received" complaint -- uPerfect refunded my money two days later.

@Sam Avery-Quinn

Lots of Kickstarter campaigns end badly - you are so lucky to have received your refund!

Hunter2020

This kind of device is silly.  UPerfect's best invention is the portable monitor with attached keyboard and "attached" lithium battery to power the monitor ALL in a laptop clam shell chassis.  This kind of invention is brilliant and cheaper than buying a dedicated laptop.  All you need is feed it the video signal from a mini-PC/cell phone and receive the keyboard/touchscreen input to the mini-PC/cell phone.

YUKI93

I can't see this catching on with Android Desktop Mode since it only supports one external screen, but this would make great use for Windows/macOS/Linux machines. This is basically an external monitor counterpart of the Lenovo YogaBook 9i. This is on my list, though my eyes are still eyeing the detachable screen UDock X Pro 15.6".

YUKI93

Quote from: Neenyah on August 21, 2023, 14:39:08They use Photoshop in the promo materials to show its targeted usage and that's fine, seems like an excellent portable solution for that...

But the key is PORTABLE. 200-ish nits is barely enough to use inside when it's a sunny day and as an extra bonus there is quite horrendous colour coverage for any serious colour accurate work (so, Photoshop in promo stuff). 73% sRGB and 52% NTSC is tragic in 2023 for that price. For $150 it would be fine.

That's what most people still don't understand about gadgets like this, including lapdocks. It's still an external monitor in the first place that happens to be portable. If you live in limited spaces that prevent you from owning a large ultrawide monitor, this is easily the best investment you can make. Also, being an external monitor, you can still keep on using it even after you upgrade your host device to a newer generation models.

YUKI93

Quote from: Swizzy on August 21, 2023, 13:53:35Price performance is non existing here. What an awful price for a mediocre product that should cost no more than 200.

I always love seeing these overly-optimistic people who always think they can get supercar level of capability for supermini money. Keep dreaming about it, it's never going to happen.

Neenyah

Quote from: YUKI93 on August 30, 2023, 10:59:27
Quote from: Neenyah on August 21, 2023, 14:39:08They use Photoshop in the promo materials to show its targeted usage and that's fine, seems like an excellent portable solution for that...

That's what most people still don't understand about gadgets like this, including lapdocks. It's still an external monitor in the first place that happens to be portable. If you live in limited spaces that prevent you from owning a large ultrawide monitor, this is easily the best investment you can make. Also, being an external monitor, you can still keep on using it even after you upgrade your host device to a newer generation models.

No, don't get me wrong, I know their purpose and targeted usage, it's literally in their name - portable monitors. And I agree with pretty much everything you said here. But all I complain about is that their own promo material is demonstrating how they are meant to be used for colour accurate work - photography and design, (Photoshop is open on those monitors) and for video editing (Premiere Pro is also being open). Heck, just check their promo video: https://youtu.be/cdU6A4hDSPQ

Then they say the following on their website ( https://www.uperfectmonitor.com/products/folding-monitor ):

Quote15.6 inch folding monitor is loved by users for its superior screen performance and color performance, whether it is movies, games and other complex images can be easily controlled. Loved by gamers, designers, and creators.

QuoteWith 100% sRGB, Delta/Δ has more gamut coverage compared to general monitors. Screen content colors and details will look more realistic and refined, get a realistic color experience.

🤨🤨

So that is clearly incorrect. 73.3% sRGB is far less than 100%. Plus if you want to be mobile to use portable monitors (no idea what would be their purpose to use them at your home in your living room) you would need to have at least 250 nits of brightness, while these here are struggling to reach 200 nits and as a bonus here is the quote from the review:

QuoteDuring single-cable operation via USB-C, we observed a maximum display brightness of only 160 cd/m².

I really like the idea of the product and I really don't want to sh*t on them but come on, 160-200 nits is difficult to use in a nicely lit room. In dark yeah, no problems, but anywhere where this is meant to be used... yeah, no.

Then you add their asking price on top and I find this to be really poor value. Why? Because for less money you can get:

• Same 1080p resolution but 14" screen
  • 294-300 nits of brightness in all scenarios
  • 99.8% sRGB / 72% AdobeRGB
  • Better contrast ratio of 982:1 vs 471:1 here
  • Much lower weight of 0.598 kg but let's double that to 1.196 kg which is 0.354 kg lighter than this/these Uperfect
  • Way lower asking price, just $219 but let's also double that to $438; that's -$192 less than this/these Uperfect!

So literally everything is better. The name of the game is the ThinkVision M14 ( https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/accessories-and-software/monitors/office/61dduar6us ) and I'm doubling there because, I repeat, you get two better portable monitors with far brighter and overall better screen for less weight and much lower price. Also as being two separate monitors you have more room to position each wherever and however you want or to use only one if you need, well, only one.

If Uperfect keeps the price of UStation Delta that high while delivering that weak panel then the product will flop because there are cheaper and better options, not just this M14 above.

Jacker

The Changingtouch monitor is also an excellent portable monitor and very cost-effective! It's a lapdock that looks like a laptop, equipped with a keyboard and touchpad, and is also suitable for gaming and graphic design programs, with particularly good compatibility! Full metal body, lightweight design, suitable for any scenario! Limited time offer of $200! changingtouch.com

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview