News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Intel NUC11PAQi7 Panther Canyon Mini PC Review: Tiger Lake Done Right

Started by Redaktion, February 02, 2021, 18:33:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Intel's implementation of the Core i7-1165G7 is better than most laptops. Raw processor performance is faster than the ill-fated Core i7-8809G released just a couple of years ago while being much more power efficient in the process.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-NUC11PAQi7-Panther-Canyon-Mini-PC-Review-Tiger-Lake-Done-Right.517573.0.html

kek

I wouldn't count "loud fans" as a con on this device, since it's practically a desktop, so performance is usually preferred over low noise.

Also, they do their job properly, so it's not like they are doing noise for nothing, either.

StitchzPT

uk

Thank you for reviewing this device.
Could you please see if fan speed can be locked, and therefore perhaps be comfortable as a htpc/mini server in one.
Further it would be interesting to see the actual improvements when memory is in dual channel.
Would you mind doing a few key benchmark with an extra memory bar slotted in?

Thank you

Fulljack

for being a mini/SFF PC, I'm very impressed with how much modularity they bring by only soldering the CPU—which because it basically uses mobile CPU anyway.

_MT_

Quote from: kek on February 02, 2021, 19:36:43
I wouldn't count "loud fans" as a con on this device, since it's practically a desktop, so performance is usually preferred over low noise.

Also, they do their job properly, so it's not like they are doing noise for nothing, either.
I don't know about you but I do value quiet work environment. And with a desktop, I'm more likely to use speakers rather than headphones. But from reading the review, I don't really see a problem. I would have to hear it. And you can probably tweak the settings. This is what modes are for. To have it quiet when you want it quiet and noisy when you want all the performance at any cost. So, for me, having well set up modes is quite an important detail (how fast and quiet is it in quiet mode, etc.).

I'm sure there will be passive cases available. Cirrus makes good ones, although very expensive. In the end, it's a shame the box isn't just a little big bigger and with a proper cooler, like a low profile Noctua. It would last ages and you wouldn't hear a thing. Second M.2 for storage, rear audio outputs (at least TOSLINK, to avoid having to use USB). Perhaps a 10 Gb/s Ethernet (really, we should move past 1 Gb/s; it's 2021). A dream.

milan

Dear Allen Ngo,
thank you for the comprehensive Intel NUC11PAQi7 Mini PC Review.
You could post information or a link to the current BIOS.
The review repeatedly states that performance compared to NUC10 occurred only small changes, of course outside the GPU.
A comparison with the ASUS PN50 AMD Ryzen Mini PC 7 4800U might be appropriate, which would show me where Intel should go in the field of Mini PC.
In a few months, there will be an ASUS PN50 with the new Ryzen 5000U processor.
It would also be good to evaluate the effect of dual-channel memory on the performance of the GPe Xe.
Thank you again for a very good review.
Best Regards

milan strojný

_MT_

Quote from: milan on February 04, 2021, 18:28:17
A comparison with the ASUS PN50 AMD Ryzen Mini PC 7 4800U might be appropriate, which would show me where Intel should go in the field of Mini PC.
I don't think NBC reviewed it and it's a rare bird. Perhaps they might be able to get it in the US. But it wasn't offered in all markets and even where it was offered, the availability was poor. I asked at the end of October when it might be delivered if I order it now and was told no sooner than January and that February/ March was likely. After that experience, I don't have high hopes for higher-end 5000 series being easily available anytime soon in a PN50. Asus haven't announced it yet anyway, right?

4800U is definitely faster. It has twice the number of cores. How much would depend on cooling. This should perform roughly like 4500U. I'm not sure I would call the performance improvement only small compared to NUC10. It managed to outscore six core 10710U in sustained Cinebench R15. And NUC8 with 8559U by over 40 % which is the closest predecessor (four cores + beefier iGPU, a combination that was missing in NUC10 lineup). It's in the same region as laptops with poorly cooled x750H processors. And it's not even the high-bin 1185 but the more ordinary 1165. Not bad for a four core processor.

Tristan

Thanks for this very detailed review. I don't know whether you still have the unit, but if so, could you please put in a pair of high-end, low-CL, RAM sticks running in dual channel mode to test your hypothesis about graphics performance? Many people won't want to pre-order the Panther Canyon if they can't be sure that it will deliver on the graphics side.

Spiros

Can you please confirm that the full weight of this machine (chassis + innards as configured) is 647 g + 448 g for the Power Supply?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview