News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Alienware x17 R1 RTX 3080 laptop review: A new beginning

Started by Redaktion, September 25, 2021, 20:52:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

After only a year with the older Alienware m17 R2, R3, and R4 design, Dell is ready to hit the reset button with the Alienware x17 R1. Does the full-on makeover address all the issues we had with the previous general model?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Alienware-x17-R1-RTX-3080-laptop-review-A-new-beginning.563108.0.html

PHVM

Allen,
I have some doubts:
1- the tests were done with the dGPU mode selected in the BIOS?
2- the tests (CPU and GPU) were made with the fans at maximum?
3- The stress test screenshots show PL1 dropping down to 30W even during testing with The Witcher 3. This was a system bug that was fixed as of BIOS version 1.2.1. What BIOS version during testing?
Thanks for the great review!

ZODD

How does this score so high when competing laptops mostly outperform this AW at times by a pretty significant margin.
I don't get it and something is very fishy about the score like NBC is inflating the score for reasons only known to them.

Kuria

It's interesting to see how inefficient the Tiger Lake design is. It takes 100W to beat zen 3 at 65W. Imagine an X17 with a zen 3 chip. It would be even cooler and quieter!

Timothy Wilson

I bought a Dell gaming laptop in Dec 2020. Died in July 2021...its September 2021? No refund yet and Dell support is a huge run around....Don't buy Dell! They don't care

Ricky D

Hmm...I had the same model and had a different experience with some features.

The right sided main fan made a loud whistle all the time (other reviewers had this problem too), worse with higher fan activity. Very annoying.

The cherryMX keyboard sounded like a broken xylophone tapping on the heat pipes. That wasn't mentioned in the article.

It was also fairly unstable, causing game freezes on loading/quiting games (might be fixed with updates drivers and such).

Arvin

Was the ram (DDR4 XMP bei 3.466 MHz) ir16 or ir8 ?
There was some test that showed a significant difference between them
Ps. Ty for great review

simone pascucci

I've been looking around, there's no x17 with the 3080 currently available, do you know why?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview