News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Searching for the greenhouse gas: methane promises rapid effects

Started by Redaktion, March 04, 2024, 22:57:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Methane has 80 times more impact on the greenhouse effect than CO2. Researchers, engineers and Google are searching for it with MethaneSAT - at just the right time.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Searching-for-the-greenhouse-gas-methane-promises-rapid-effects.809920.0.html

Hunter2020

I think these scientists should seriously go f*** off with the green house effect.  Winter is already too damn cold in the Northern Hemisphere.  Everyone there can do with the Earth being a few degrees warmer in the winter.  Ideally, these egg head scientists should focus on something else instead:  Make the equator cooler while the North and South much more warmer!

Pix

This is pretty interesting, and I think action taken against needless Methane emissions would not only by helpful to the problem but would also be good to address a common bit of blame that people like to direct away from carbon dioxide emissions overall. People get discouraged looking at the CO2 problem because of how costly and inconvenient fixing it would be, so I see a lot of "whataboutisms" thrown at it, as if it isn't just another piece of the pie. I definitely agree that it is the "easier" problem to solve, and getting a clear picture of sources and volumes would go a long way in addressing that.

Quote from: Hunter2020 on March 05, 2024, 16:18:22I think these scientists should seriously go f*** off with the green house effect.  Winter is already too damn cold in the Northern Hemisphere.  Everyone there can do with the Earth being a few degrees warmer in the winter.  Ideally, these egg head scientists should focus on something else instead:  Make the equator cooler while the North and South much more warmer!

Careful, geoengineering is a concept that is fraught with enormous investments and huge risks. While it may be necessary or even beneficial in the future, it's a bit beyond what we can presently do with any high level of confidence. Regarding the extreme coldness issue, this is the main reason why people in the scientific community have stopped using the term "global warming" because a lot of people suffer from the jumping to conclusions bias and take "extreme winter" to mean that it's not affecting their region or the whole concept is false. Ignoring the record breaking droughts, forest fires, and heat waves hitting places closer to the equator, you wouldn't want a higher average temperature even as someone living somewhere cold. With a complex system fluid system like an ocean or a planetary atmosphere, adding heat is effectively adding energy. If you add a lot of kinetic energy to a bowl of water by sloshing it around, for example, you end up with waves that produce higher peaks than average, but also lower valleys than average. It's like that, but on a scale that people really have a hard time conceptualizing. As a result, the hots get hotter, but the colds can also get colder. Overall, if it seems like things are just getting more extreme overall, you're right - and that's the key takeaway.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview