News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

PlayStation 5 GDDR6 memory reaches potentially critical temperatures due to seemingly inadequate PS5 cooling solution design

Started by Redaktion, November 24, 2020, 09:37:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

A thorough PlayStation 5 teardown has revealed a particular concern with one of the GDDR6 memory modules. Temperatures during testing reached an uncomfortable 93.3 °C (199.94 °F) on the bottom memory module of the PS5 console. This has the potential to cause system crashes, especially in countries with hot summers and high temperatures.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/PlayStation-5-GDDR6-memory-reaches-potentially-critical-temperatures-due-to-seemingly-inadequate-PS5-cooling-solution-design.505790.0.html

Lucas

It will be fixed with thermal pads most likely in future iterations, but is concerning. In this case it's good that scalpers have most of the faulty stock, let them fix it themselves ;)

Xenocide

What it boils down to, is crappy design. Sony put more emphasis on exterior design than making sure the internals had adequate cooling. Don't even get me started on the various versions of it's internal parts causing bad QC. I'll wait a year or two before I even consider getting one, if I havent already moved over to PC completely by then.

Angel Mass

This is why is often not a good idea to purchase the consoles the same year they are released. I'm sure this problem is going to be fix by the upcoming PS5 batches

Brian

Well I'm good then.
My house is a constant 68 degrees, my PS5 is completely in the open and I have a fan that blows on it.

Try again

Ya'll just mad PS5 already taking the lead as main go to console? RROD didn't still stop Xbox 360 from selling, neither will this for the PS5.

Joe

This is not a well thought out article.

Speaking of room temperature, most people will turn on their AC in the hotter months.  If anything, a machine would overheat in the colder months because, surprise, people will want to heat up their rooms.

It boils down to how much time you want to play your system.  I mean, should you really be having your machine turned on 24/7?

Gamer67

I'm not sure this tear-down guy watched the official one. There is no issue according to PS, and those who already have consoles all say it runs quieter and cooler. I don't think I believe this article. Being outsold 50 to one would see some fake news stories released by X- box to poo poo the new hotness that is the PS5.
(insert gratuitous MIB reference... Check.)

Dustin

Quote from: Gamer67 on November 25, 2020, 04:15:28
I'm not sure this tear-down guy watched the official one. There is no issue according to PS, and those who already have consoles all say it runs quieter and cooler. I don't think I believe this article. Being outsold 50 to one would see some fake news stories released by X- box to poo poo the new hotness that is the PS5.
(insert gratuitous MIB reference... Check.)
you clearly are a fanboy. This guy was dead in with his teardown. In fact he even said don't could easily fix this by a patch which would make the fan run faster as it is on slo mo. No PS5 for me for a few years.

Dustin

Quote from: Try again on November 25, 2020, 03:51:02
Ya'll just mad PS5 already taking the lead as main go to console? RROD didn't still stop Xbox 360 from selling, neither will this for the PS5.
actually Xbox fixed that with free replacements. Will Sony do that? I highly doubt it.

Zoo

Quote from: Joe on November 25, 2020, 04:08:34
This is not a well thought out article.

Speaking of room temperature, most people will turn on their AC in the hotter months.  If anything, a machine would overheat in the colder months because, surprise, people will want to heat up their rooms.

It boils down to how much time you want to play your system.  I mean, should you really be having your machine turned on 24/7?

It's still concerning tho. We are only just entering next-gen and future games will only demand more work from the already hot memories. They need to fix this for future productions regardless.

MikeMaj82

Dequavis

We should not be seeing these kind of things in 2020. They have literally had decades of experience designing consoles and fixing similar design fails.

Nug

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview