News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Apple MacBook Air M2 review - The faster 10-core GPU isn't worth it

Started by Redaktion, August 12, 2022, 19:24:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

After we tested the basic model we now also got our hands on the faster version of the new MacBook Air with 16 GB of RAM, a large 1-TB SSD, and the faster 10-core GPU of M2 and ran it through our tests. However, the graphics update is particularly disappointing, since the passively cooled MacBook Air M2 needs to throttle its performance quickly.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-Air-M2-review-The-faster-10-core-GPU-isn-t-worth-it.640427.0.html

Fran

I love notebookcheck, you have the best detailed reviews on the web... And that is what I am looking for... Cause your scoring system is completely whimsical.
For almost $2k, in 2022, a laptop with TB3 (with a chipset that supports v4), no WiFi benchmark, and with only one possible external display (are we back in the 90s?) gets a connectivity score of 82... If the brand of the laptop was a different one...
And application performance a 100? With bellow average disk speeds, throttling, and benchmark results in multithread way behind the competition... What am I missing?

RobertJasiek

You are missing to have discovered the truth of the rating system being NBC's weakest part:)

Fran

I was aware that it wasn't reliable, but this is outrageous.
I cannot believe it, the connectivity thing, plus all I've said, it only has two ports on the same side, no SD reader, no USB A, a 30W charger... Even my phone has a faster charger.
Display 92%, other reviews the score takes a hit if no touch or if the screen does not open to 180deg, but here they forgot their criteria.
And just for $2K? 92% score... Atrocious

Fazal Majid

I'd argue it is not worth the $200 premium over the M1 MacBook Air either, and in fact got the base M1 discounted for $900 for my daughter, so a $300 savings for a machine with faster SSD and better battery life and less thermal throttling.

Klapper.cz

Would be nice to try some of the gaming tests with a common laptop cooler - I wouldn't mind it for home use for more sustained performance when gaming and still enjoy traveling light/quiet. Sure technically it's not a part of the system, but the conclusion might be different for many.

CS

I have an M2 midnight.... CTO 24GB/2TB/10 core.  I've built computers since the late 90s.  IMHO I find this review to be a little nit picky.  Apple products are always expensive and --- I'd be curious to see what the performance difference was with the 2TB / 24GB setup. 

In any case, unless you're doing heavy video editing it doesn't matter.  I've also not experienced any problems with the temperature or noticed a slow down because its hot.  I've had 400 tabs open in Chrome, and Outlook, word, whatever else running blah blah blah. 

Everyone whines about the notch too.  It doesn't really bother me.  I almost never notice it.

It's way better than a Dell and I prefer the form factor over the macbook pro. 

LL

Fran just ignore the Notebookcheck.net ratings. They are meaningless. What matters is in the text and some comments.

Jack Black

Hi ,
Excellent review , from the looks of it this is the best eye care macbook in the current line up ... no PWM and no Temporal Dithering.

But i wonder how its achieving wider gamut / 10bit without frame rate control / dithering no way its native 10bit

Thanks.. And Please include Temporal Dithering also in the future reviews of devices.

I also wonder of we could also review desktop monitors...

Jack Black

How does this laptop not have dithering? This will never be a native 10bit panel?

So is your testing method of 240fps sufficient to detect the dithering? Maybe you need to go even higher on fps.

If it is the way we are measuring it , claiming it does not have dithering may send a wrong message to at least some of the people

Herculinus

Thanks for great insight. My thoughts about price/performance is the same. Notebook check is always my go-to source for handheld and laptops since more than 10 years!

4for1

Quote from: Jack Black on August 19, 2022, 05:23:58How does this laptop not have dithering? This will never be a native 10bit panel?

So is your testing method of 240fps sufficient to detect the dithering? Maybe you need to go even higher on fps.

If it is the way we are measuring it , claiming it does not have dithering may send a wrong message to at least some of the people

I'd love more information on this as well. I read all the notebookcheck reviews for pwm scores and would love to see temporal dithering covered in these reviews! As a basic user, these days I'm less concerned with performance benchmarks and more concerned with new display tech as this is what now impacts my decision for making purchases.

Thanks for covering this! I am going to order an M2 air. Had to send the M1 air back as I just couldn't focus on text while reading the display.

fold

someone shared recordings on ledstrain of the M2 having temporal dithering. I cannot post link due to spam protection. look for a thread name "Videos of MacBook Air M2 flickering"

Could the reviewer explain how they found no dithering? What is this shimmering then?
I own this macbook since 3 weeks, I find the screen to be rather straining to the eyes and couldn't explain why until now.

RobertJasiek

folder

alright, here is the thread: ledstrain.org/d/1782-videos-of-macbook-air-m2-flickering
and the videos from that thread: youtube.com/watch?v=5IuuoJR-4BU youtube.com/watch?v=GwLl_lbq0Zs youtube.com/watch?v=P0mVlkf61KE

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview