News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Intel Core i7-1260P debut: Lenovo Yoga 9 14IAP7 convertible review

Started by Redaktion, May 04, 2022, 21:38:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Intel's 11th gen Tiger Lake-U series is already pretty good. Now, let's see how much more the 12th gen Core i7-1260P can offer in one of the first convertible subnotebooks from Lenovo to support it.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i7-1260P-debut-Lenovo-Yoga-9-14IAP7-convertible-review.616256.0.html

_MT_

Just 6:45 with a 75 Wh battery? I think it's safe to say there is something wrong with this unit.

_MT_

Also, since when is 40 % "slightly higher" (10 vs. 14 W average idle)? Even 10 is high. You'd expect more like 6 and you can get lower than that. Calculating it from your Wi-Fi test, it works out to roughly 11 W (you measure power at a wall, right, which can skew results). The XPS works out to less than 5.

It could be the processor but since it has smaller cores to handle basic running that should be more efficient, that shouldn't be it. So, either Intel screwed up, or it could be the BIOS or even Windows or there is some trash running in the background or a bad driver or something somewhere. My first bet would be Lenovo.

Dorby

Most other  reviews got close to 4 hours so the short battery life seems pretty consistent. Just the downfall of using highly inefficient Intel 12th Gen P-series + 3K OLED Touch screen.

https://youtu.be/1b66QqyC_TE?t=637

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/55253-lenovo-yoga-9i-review/

kek

Quote from: _MT_ on May 05, 2022, 10:43:18
Also, since when is 40 % "slightly higher" (10 vs. 14 W average idle)? Even 10 is high. You'd expect more like 6 and you can get lower than that. Calculating it from your Wi-Fi test, it works out to roughly 11 W (you measure power at a wall, right, which can skew results). The XPS works out to less than 5.

It could be the processor but since it has smaller cores to handle basic running that should be more efficient, that shouldn't be it. So, either Intel screwed up, or it could be the BIOS or even Windows or there is some trash running in the background or a bad driver or something somewhere. My first bet would be Lenovo.

It's neither Intel or Windows. It's the OLED screen. OLED uses a lot of power compared to low power LCD panels. It's a difference of 2w at 400 nits for LCD vs almost 6-8w for OLED screens at max brightness. Couple that with perhaps a buggy BIOS and you receive low battery life.

You can go check more reviews in here from devices with OLED screens and compared them to the same model with LCD and you will see the huge difference.

int$lpr$mium

$200-300 extra and battery life and extra TDP and fan noise for what? Some power users minority knows the answer. As a gamer and software developer I am not interested in such Intel premium.

_MT_

Quote from: kek on May 05, 2022, 19:00:33
It's the OLED screen.
Well, the test is only at 150 cd/m2. Frankly, I skipped the display section as I'm not interested in the laptop itself. I wasn't expecting OLED. So, a fair point. But there is more to it.

_MT_

Do you know what I find interesting? Just how much bigger the battery is compared to T14 and even T15. That small battery always annoyed me in a T15. 75 Wh in 14", really not bad. Well, except for the battery life. ;D

FlyingShawn

I'm curious how different the battery runtimes would be if the screen were locked at 60hz.  Would it overtake the 4k model?  Or is there something else about this 2.8k OLED that is making it use so much power?

PHVM_BR

"Interestingly, raw multi-thread performance is about 10 percent slower than the same model equipped with the same Core i7-1260P CPU but higher resolution 2400p display."

The difference in sustained multicore performance between versions is due to the charger, 100W vs 65W. Only that!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview