News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Tesla hack exploits AMD vulnerability to access user data and unlock US$15,000 in paid software-locked features

Started by Redaktion, August 03, 2023, 23:10:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

A group of enterprising hackers has managed to take advantage of a known exploit in Tesla's in-vehicle software that allowed them to access thousands of dollars in software-locked features, sideload custom apps, and, most alarmingly, access private user data. The researchers say that this exploit is exclusive to newer AMD-based Tesla infotainment systems.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Tesla-hack-exploits-AMD-vulnerability-to-access-user-data-and-unlock-US-15-000-in-paid-software-locked-features.738553.0.html

nolie

Quote from: Andrew4667 on August 04, 2023, 00:36:22Another reason to avoid anything from AMD at all costs.

I've been an Intel user for the past decade but I can say you'd be a fool if you think Intel don't have exploits

Jsmith

The real take away from this is Tesla will lock you out of hardware features of a car you own like heated seats and hold you at ransom unless you pay.

Absolute scum move.

heffeque

Quote from: Jsmith on August 04, 2023, 04:52:27The real take away from this is Tesla will lock you out of hardware features of a car you own like heated seats and hold you at ransom unless you pay.

Absolute scum move.
I'm assuming that the hack is reversible, so you could probably revert to default before taking it to Tesla, then jailbreak again.

t4n0n

Quote from: Jsmith on August 04, 2023, 04:52:27The real take away from this is Tesla will lock you out of hardware features of a car you own like heated seats and hold you at ransom unless you pay.

Absolute scum move.

You say that as if every other car manufacturer doesn't do the exact same thing?

Calling it a "ransom" is ridiculous as well - a ransom is when somebody steals something that you originally owned, then demands money from you, to give it back.

If someone decides to buy the car and willingly chooses to forgo paying the extra cost associated with a certain feature, how can they then credibly claim it's been stolen from them?

That's like someone taking out a mortgage to offset the full cost of buying a house, then complaining "their house" is being held to ransom by the bank, when they're asked to pay it back.

Now if it was a case of something fundamental to ownership and use of the car - like say, the ability to open the boot - being a "paid extra", then I think you might have a case, but heated seats?

People who feel they need them can pay the extra cost and those who don't, can save a bit of extra money.

Tommo5

Quote from: t4n0n on August 04, 2023, 09:48:54You say that as if every other car manufacturer doesn't do the exact same thing?

Calling it a "ransom" is ridiculous as well - a ransom is when somebody steals something that you originally owned, then demands money from you, to give it back.

If someone decides to buy the car and willingly chooses to forgo paying the extra cost associated with a certain feature, how can they then credibly claim it's been stolen from them?

That's like someone taking out a mortgage to offset the full cost of buying a house, then complaining "their house" is being held to ransom by the bank, when they're asked to pay it back.

Now if it was a case of something fundamental to ownership and use of the car - like say, the ability to open the boot - being a "paid extra", then I think you might have a case, but heated seats?

People who feel they need them can pay the extra cost and those who don't, can save a bit of extra money.

If it's in the car then you own the feature. Simple as that. You carry the hardware which is burden on driving range due to weight.

Also whether other car brands do the same is irrelevant. They should also be condemned like BMW has, but in this case we're talking about Tesla.

So stop trying to defend some billionaire bullshit tactics, they wouldn't even blink for you.

hugh mungus

Quote from: t4n0n on August 04, 2023, 09:48:54
Quote from: Jsmith on August 04, 2023, 04:52:27Calling it a "ransom" is ridiculous as well - a ransom is when somebody steals something that you originally owned, then demands money from you, to give it back.

If I pay for a car, which includes the hardware installed on it, and I cannot use the hardware that was installed on it due to a software limitation imposed by the vendor, then it's stealing something I paid money for.

NikoB

Remember a simple thing, drill it into yourself - the owner of the thing can do whatever he wants with it. Including research and modify the software as he pleases. The warranty covers the performance of iron in the first place. You can always roll back the software and restore the original one. Any attempts to point out a software modification, if they did not provably lead to hardware problems, are a priori illegal on the part of the manufacturer and require, on his part, strong evidence in court.

And blocking practices are immoral, but thanks to inquisitive minds they are bypassed.

The world has already turned into a garbage dump and a digital concentration camp, thanks to the stupidity of the majority of the population and the immoral, essentially criminal actions of TNCs and powerful kleptocracies. It is not necessary to help them in this, but it is necessary to counteract in every possible way.

BaronMatrix

I don't think this will really be an issue... Most vehicles are in secure enough locations that plugging all of this stuff in would take a while and you first have to get in the car...

It clearly says you need to inject into the boot process and I HOPE Tesla doesn't turn on WiFi so I'm curious as to not the tech parts but the physical access parts...

ceceliadennis

Even though I doubted your service at first, I'm glad you proved yourself worthy, It ended on a sad note because my relationship ended, however I now know the truth, I just wanted to say thanks for your service, it was worth it, Whoever is interested in cloning their partner's phone should be ready emotionally to take whatever comes out of it, I recommend you to hackerspytech at gm ail c om , you can dm them

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview