News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Upgraded to AM5 or Intel 14th Gen? Why not put that old hardware to use and build a NAS

Started by Redaktion, February 03, 2024, 17:05:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Network Attached Storage (NAS) devices will give you remote access to all your files from any device both at home and away. Just add your drives and off you go, but they aren't cheap. However there are some compelling software solutions that can turn any old PC and a few drives into a potent NAS which can compete with even the most expensive off the shelf solutions.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Upgraded-to-AM5-or-Intel-14th-Gen-Why-not-put-that-old-hardware-to-use-and-build-a-NAS.799967.0.html

ITX man

Love my Jellyfin box :) I'm using Jellyfin on docker, host OS is ubuntu server 22.04. My CPU is an Intel 13000 & the iGPU works great for transcoding. It's all packed into a tiny Inwin Chopin, and it's basically silent with the stock cooler. I store all my movies on a Samsung 870 4tb right now, bad form I know. Long-term I'll upgrade to a full NAS array.

A warning to the wise tho, this took tons of time & effort to set it up this way. Only pursue if interesting in Linux! (Or use one of the OS mentioned in the article to make it a little easier on yourself)

Gogee from Batoomee

Why not SELL that old hardware of yours at a modest price and let somebody else get a couple of years of use out of it? I sold an HDD I no longer needed for $2 and I am thinking that someone keeps on using it to this day makes me happy.

Ben Earnhart

WTF?
  • Buy new case
  • Buy new Mobo
  • Buy a bunch of hard drives
  • Utilize your old CPU
  • Maybe use your old RAM
What is the point? There are companies that make, sell, and guarantee NAS boxes for cheaper.

NikoB

For NAS, the motherboard is more important than the processor - there is enough atom there. To have 1-2 10Gbps RJ45 ports. And at least 8 SATA + 2xM.2 + the ability to add another 6-8 ports so that this board consumes as little as possible at rest and is as stable as possible over the long term.

And also a very high-quality top-class power supply to create a stable environment for the HDD and provide increased fire safety.

NikoB

Unfortunately, no software and hardware solution has the ability to remotely turn off disks so that they do not wake up on their own (even when the NAS is rebooted and when it is turned off and then on) until there is an explicit requirement to turn on the power to them. Alas, even commercial NAS are extremely stupid in this regard...

lolwhat

Quote from: NikoB on February 05, 2024, 12:27:57Unfortunately, no software and hardware solution has the ability to remotely turn off disks so that they do not wake up on their own
Was your "NAS" running Windows or something.
You have full control over that on proper OS.

NikoB

Quote from: lolwhat on February 10, 2024, 11:32:32You have full control over that on proper OS.
There is no system on the planet that, from BIOS to OS, can, at the owner's command, turn off the power to the selected disk and not turn it on until there is a direct request from the owner. This is exactly what should have been done 30 years ago.

I have to use mechanical selectors for 6 drives in a 5.25 bay to disable backup HDDs that are not needed at the moment, so that there is no unnecessary noise, vibration, mechanical wear and unnecessary consumption.

Alas, stupidity in the IT industry has led to such sad consequences for 30 years.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview