News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

After getting crushed by Apple and Google in smartphones, BlackBerry is in their sights again

Started by Redaktion, January 27, 2024, 13:47:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Canadian company Blackberry was once the leading smartphone maker in the world. However, within the space of several years, the launch of the iPhone in 2007 and then Android put paid to that. In what must be like a recurring nightmare for the company, Apple and Google are coming for them again in a market where they currently enjoy success.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/After-getting-crushed-by-Apple-and-Google-in-smartphones-BlackBerry-is-in-their-sights-again.797759.0.html

A

When was blackberry the leading smartphone maker in the world?

Nokia and Symbian outsold RIM before the iphone and during it. And if we are talking about operating systems as a whole, Windows Mobile likely outsold them too up until MS killed it with the WP7 announcement

RoastSwan

I think you've missed a key bit of history.  The Playbook was not QNXs first outing. QNX runs vending machines, traffic lights, the engine management, the core system of self driving cars. Car manufacturers choose QNX because its  so stable. It usually runs Headless ie without a desktop. 
Equally,  worth noting BlackBerry  test other vendors software for them.

DanielH

You may want to do more homework before discounting QNX getting replaced by others.  QNX is underpinning for the ASIL D and ISO ratings for the platform.  This allows the less qualfied players (Apple, Android Auto, etc) to come play safely.

Have you considered an article on IVY yet?  What platform will manage the apps for the integrity and data of the car and its compute at edge and OTA to the cloud?

Sanjiv Sathiah

%Thanks for reading the article as always. Some responses to the comments: Zero AI in this story - the whole angle is original and was mine as was the writing and research. While QNX had been used publicly before, this was prior to its acquisition by BlackBerry/RIM. The PlayBook was the first time it was used with a device with a BlackBerry logo and very public facing UI. I haven't discounted QNX being completely replaced by others - however, as the research firm I quoted in the article demonstrates, it is forecast to fall from a peak of 20% share of the auto market, to just 5% in a few years. As for BlackBerry being the leading smartphone in the world - the BlackBerry is widely regarded as being the first modern "smartphone," hence it was the leading smartphone on the market when the iPhone launched - not necessarily the biggest selling mobile phone on the market.

Anon Reader

There are several inaccuracies in this opinion piece.  I'll start with the fact that in the Lincoln, Android is running as a guest in the QNX hypervisor.

A

@Sanjiv Sathiah - Blackberry was not the first modern "smartphone". You got rick rolled Steve Jobs style.

Let us review history, back in the day before the iphone. There were a few types of phones:

Dumb phones - just phones
Feature phones - phones which are dumb phones but with color displays that usually ran some limited java apps
Smartphones - phones with symbian/windows mobile but no touchscreen
PDA phones/PocketPCs - phones with symbian/windows mobile and touchscreens

When Jobs presented the iphone, he pretty much pretended that PDA phones/PocketPCs didn't exist to make it seem like the iphone invented the touchscreen phones.

Since then, "smartphones" has meant smartphones + pda phones + pocketpcs

So no, BlackBerry was never the best seller of "smartphones" by today's definition. If you mean smartphones by the old definition. I still think Symbian would have outsold it globally every year

Mona l drapeau

Ive been a long time blackberry customer its been Surprising everybody when I tell people ... Its is the best Phone yet but I'm facing a problem there no way ive tried true all channel and cant get à replacement battery this time around Im desapointed ..

Cause it mean no more blackberry Phone for me...   

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview