News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Dell XPS 17 9700 Core i7 Laptop Review: Pretty Much A MacBook Pro 17

Started by Redaktion, July 15, 2020, 08:51:42

Previous topic - Next topic

RicoViking9000

Notebookcheck, do you know if your device was equipped with NVIDIA's Game Ready drivers in GeForce Experience? If it came equipped with Creator Ready drivers instead, would it be possible to test some of the graphics benchmarks again with Game Ready drivers from NVIDIA's website? www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/hgmf58/psa_if_you_plan_on_gaming_on_your_xps_17_update/

sandybo

Great review! Obviously this is an engineering mistake Dell made on the power supply, let alone other system optimization problems (heat/fan/DPC) found in the review. We better wait for next gen intel where it support TB4/USB4 and multiple charging access on a single unit. This xps 17 apparently is not ready yet.   

Jakub

Do you guys think that if it was spec with FHD+ display it would drain less power from battery ?

kkdev9

I'm a Tech Professional and want to purchase a laptop for my work as well as personal use. My workflow includes multi resource-intensive parallel runs applications as well as photo and high-end video editing.

I had XPS 9500 and faced thermal and other issues. I had very bad experiences with the Dell Advance resolution team but had a good experience with Dell's technical service team.

I looked at XPS 17 with i7 8core, 32 GB RAM, Nvidia 2060 MaxQ , Vapor chamber cooling, excellent sound, and 4k display. However, after reading your great review, I'm holding off from XPS 17 9700.

I looked at Lenevo and they do not have i9 or 10th Gen i7 8 core processors with upgradable RAM and high-end graphics card like NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2060 6GB GDDR6 with Max-Q.

Can you please recommend a reliable and durable windows laptop that I can use for the next 5 years without any issues which have a great 4k display for video editing, excellent cooling system, 10th Gen 8 core processor, RAM and SSD upgradeability, high-end graphics card, and great sound quality.

I occasionally play games but do not need a gaming computer,
This will be my only work machine and I need to carry my laptop for business meetings.   

Thanks in advance

mintpep

Quote from: kkdev9 on July 15, 2020, 23:12:06
I'm a Tech Professional and want to purchase a laptop for my work as well as personal use. My workflow includes multi resource-intensive parallel runs applications as well as photo and high-end video editing.

I had XPS 9500 and faced thermal and other issues. I had very bad experiences with the Dell Advance resolution team but had a good experience with Dell's technical service team.

I looked at XPS 17 with i7 8core, 32 GB RAM, Nvidia 2060 MaxQ , Vapor chamber cooling, excellent sound, and 4k display. However, after reading your great review, I'm holding off from XPS 17 9700.

I looked at Lenevo and they do not have i9 or 10th Gen i7 8 core processors with upgradable RAM and high-end graphics card like NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2060 6GB GDDR6 with Max-Q.

Can you please recommend a reliable and durable windows laptop that I can use for the next 5 years without any issues which have a great 4k display for video editing, excellent cooling system, 10th Gen 8 core processor, RAM and SSD upgradeability, high-end graphics card, and great sound quality.

I occasionally play games but do not need a gaming computer,
This will be my only work machine and I need to carry my laptop for business meetings.   

Thanks in advance

HP's ENVY 15 or Zbook create(cannot say about sound quality though), depends on how much you could pay... The early impression from nbc about Envy 15 looks really good.

ENVY 15: i9-10885h/2060 max q/4K OLED/vapor chamber for about 2400 USD

Zbook create: i9-10885h/2070 or 2070s or 2080s max q/4K OLED or DreamColor LED/vapor chamber, will be released in August...

bolkhov

Allen, regarding the 100W power adapter limit:

1. Is there a specific dedicated USB-C port for charging, or ANY of the 4 can be used?

2. If the latter: is it possible to plug TWO adapters simultaneously? Will the laptop be able to pull more than 130W?

Joel

I own a 9700 with an i7 + 1650Ti + FHD screen.

• System flex?  It feels rock solid in my hands. It's better than literally every other laptop I've ever owned, including the first XPS 15 model and first Zbook 15 model.  Perhaps it isn't the best, but it definitely is not a con.
  • Measured at the wall, I can get a consistent 127W from the wall and my battery will charge while playing Forza Horizon 3 on High Settings (103 fps)
  • For a regular PD adapter, the laptop won't do better than 90W.  I only have 1 100W PD adapter (Choetech GaN) so it could just be the adapter.
[li]Running at 90W, I get a small battery drain when playing Forza Horizon 3 -- about 4% per hour.
[/li][/list]

Arcturus

Quote from: Joel on July 20, 2020, 14:40:30
I own a 9700 with an i7 + 1650Ti + FHD screen.

Joel (or anyone?) could you tell us what the panel model is for the FHD+ version?
The UHD in this review was a Sharp LQ170R1, but wondering which panel is in the FHD version.

CFH2020

I have the 9700 with the FHD display, RTX-2060 MaxQ, and Intel Core i7-10875H and I am not able to run the Port Royal benchmark. The test states "The rendering device is not connected directly to the selected display. The frame rate may be limited by PCI Express bandwidth and other factors." and when I run the test no results are provided. I am confused as I see you were able to run the Port Royal benchmark. I am not able to run or get a result. It starts and stops shortly afterwards with no results. Am I missing a setting? Also my FireStrike results are 12 864 which seem significantly lower than your results?

basementdc

I have the i7 10875 1TB SSD 1920x1200 FHD 32GB 2060 MaxQ and it's a good machine once the defective trackpad on delivery was replaced (known problem with this model).  One issue is moderate banding on gradients possibly due to drivers or the 8 bit panel (Dell hasn't resolved this yet).

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview