News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Core i7-12800HX vs. Ryzen 9 6900HX benchmarks show Intel ahead of the game but at a huge cost to your power bill

Started by Redaktion, July 07, 2022, 05:58:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Our first in-house benchmarks on the 16-core Core i7-12800HX are in courtesy of the MSI Raider GE67. While raw performance is faster than expected, it doesn't exactly come free as the 12th gen processor is significantly more power-hungry than most other mobile CPUs currently in the market.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Core-i7-12800HX-vs-Ryzen-9-6900HX-benchmarks-show-Intel-ahead-of-the-game-but-at-a-huge-cost-to-your-power-bill.633575.0.html

LWT

Mostly interested to know whether there is any difference between the 12800h and 12800hx when capped at the same power limit (probably around 45W... anything more results in too much heat and noise for me).

I'm extremely tempted by the GE67HX purely because the 240hz OLED panel. But I do wish it didn't come with such a power hungry CPU.

RinzImpulse

zet

Quote from: RinzImpulse on July 07, 2022, 06:41:52Breaking 200 Watts for CPU only on Laptop that supposed to have efficiency LMAO
It's not though. Impressive reading comprehension, but the CPU maxes out at 110 watts. With near desktop performance as well.

RJP

And a Macbook Pro running Apple silicon peaks at 45w right?

Given the climate situation, Performance per Watt needs to become a the headline topic talked about and major factor driving our purchasing decisions. Especially since working from home has become the norm and the additional cost implications that brings with it.

rmcrys

Quote from: RJP on July 07, 2022, 20:55:16And a Macbook Pro running Apple silicon peaks at 45w right?

Given the climate situation, Performance per Watt needs to become a the headline topic

Sadly most of the world doesn't give a c.... about consuption, climate change, etc., just about doing what they want. See Intel CPUs and all GPUs: most performance comes from increasing silicon speed + consumption (see RTX 40 series predictions).

Fortunately, AMD and Apple are writing new paths and I'm all for both. In Europe we prioritize optimization, so we always preferred small engines with turbos and optimize every single drop of fuel (=AMD/Apple way) versus brutal V8 engines (=Intel/ Nvidia way).

I hope most brands release top models with 6th and 7th AMD series APUs, as well as the Steam Deck 2. I bought a Surface Pro 8 and I must admit the 11th Gen Intel is not bad at all, but the Xe GPU is veeeery slow (= same GPU in the 12th Gen) in comparison to my Mac Mini M1 or a RDNA2 APU...

mantaflow

AMD is playing a safe game here. Performance per Watt will become very important in the future. Apple and AMD has it covered. Intel is not the only player boosting performance the brutal way, even Qualcomm is doing it.

Bennyg

Cost to power bill?

Surely all the fossil fuels burned in the last decade mining worthless Ponzi crypto vapourware shows the tech using world doesn't give a f about power usage.

50W on a laptop CPU that is extremely unlikely to be run 24/7 at maximum is nothing. Much better battery life, that's what AMD has on their side here.

RandomGamer

Not sure why such a big concern about the power consumption? If you look at cinebench  r20 power consumption the power consumption of intel cpu is 50% more but then it delivers 56% more Performance. Ideally for 56% more Performance even an increase of power by 60 to 65 % is just fine. 50% is quite good.

Andrew Morris

I can't wait to read your review of this machine. I owned it for a few days and that display is the best I've ever gamed on including the AW3423DW.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview