News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Samsung unveils industry's first 12 nm-class DDR5 DRAM with speeds up to 7.2 Gbps

Started by Redaktion, December 21, 2022, 17:22:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Unveiled earlier today and set to enter the mass production stage next year, the industry's first 12 nm-class DDR5 DRAM by Samsung aims to push forward computing, data center, and AI applications. Although not the fastest ones, these chips come with the industry's highest die density, which allows a 20% higher wafer productivity.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Samsung-unveils-industry-s-first-12-nm-class-DDR5-DRAM-with-speeds-up-to-7-2-Gbps.676201.0.html

NikoB

This is of no use, since now the speed of ddr5 is constrained by slow memory controllers in processors, especially in AMD. It is there from 1.5 to 2 times slower than in Intel, but the Intel version does not even come close to the bandwidth limits of DDR5200...

The only plus is if the memory becomes less consuming - but what's the use of this if laptop processors already want 100W each?

Codrut Nistor

Think about AI applications that use huge amounts of memory, for example. I am sure there are plenty of business use scenarios where a 20%+ energy saving could make a difference. Not a big thing for the average Joe using a laptop, as you say, of course.

keijo

Quote from: NikoB on December 21, 2022, 21:18:52This is of no use, since now the speed of ddr5 is constrained by slow memory controllers in processors...

Well, this is kind of a chicken and egg thing. If you don't have 7.2Gbps ddr5 in the market, why would anyone bother to support such ram in their processors? If i remember correctly amd said sweet spot is 6.0Gbps for current gen, and after that it is diminishing return... If there were 7.2Gbps ram, amd and intel would have probably raced to get support for it, but since there weren't we will have to wait for next generation. I am still baffled that when i bought my 1950 threadripper, there hasn't come any better ram for it. You can only see ram with same timings as i already have which is somewhat disappointing.

Quote from: NikoB on December 21, 2022, 21:18:52The only plus is if the memory becomes less consuming - but what's the use of this if laptop processors already want 100W each?
Then that user has decided he rather get all the performance, in expense of battery life. These are mostly gamers, and not representative of all laptop users. There is large portion of users who rather work longer than get absolutely everything out of the laptop. Like I am working on 7 years old laptop and only time i wished i had more performance was when I had to run old .net app inside virtualbox (because it required windows). You can develop something like golang in a potato. Sadly memory controller does not support ram over 16gb, so for me to use stuff like istio, i would have to get new laptop that supports higher amount of ram. Naturally there are quality of life improvements when getting new tech, like hdmi 2.1 (4k@120hz@hdr) which my monitor supports, but does not increase my completion time any meaningful way. 

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview