News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Eluktronics Mech-17 GP2 laptop review: MSI GT77 Titan performance without the size

Started by Redaktion, March 09, 2023, 20:01:38

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperSuppenkasper

This is not produced by Clevo, but Tongfang. According to their website they call it IDN.

"a laptop shouldn't have to rely on an optional accessory for optimal cooling"

Fully agree on this! Don't know why some readers here complain about the lack of testing the water cooler. Water cooling is the wrong way. Manufacturers should not rely on such external stuff.

This is a laptop aka a somewhat portable all in one computer. I prefer a slightly thicker and heavier chassis instead of having to carry an additional ugly box with distilled water and thick tubes in a second bag with me. LOL

Air cooling seems to be pretty good nonetheless. 300 watts on Witcher is insanely high. 80 degC on the GPU are okay, 97 degC on the CPU are not. But considering the insane power draw, the acceptable gpu temp and the fan noise of 51 db, this is not bad. Fan noise is way too loud for mee, but I would be fine with 180-200 watts of total system power. This should drop temps and fan noise by a lot.

T N

Quote from: SuperSuppenkasper on March 15, 2023, 23:02:17But considering the insane power draw, the acceptable gpu temp and the fan noise of 51 db, this is not bad. Fan noise is way too loud for mee, but I would be fine with 180-200 watts of total system power. This should drop temps and fan noise by a lot.

TDP is actually configurable on the laptop within Windows. Setting the CPU to 55W and disabling GPU dynamic boost results in a total draw of at most 205W. The laptop is still quite loud on air at this setting; however, it's far from unbearable, and the laptop basically goes dead silent while on liquid even though core temps are decent either way.

Also remember that for gaming, capping the FPS at 120 at the native resolution usually ends up with a total draw of under 200W with a 4090 GPU, since neither the CPU or GPU has to work 100% to reach that framerate.

T N

Plus re the RAM issues, the reason DDR5 4800 was chosen instead of higher speed modules is to not add more heat to an already-overheating RAM bank system. The modules must stay under a very low power usage in order to avoid instability, which is already very difficult for configurations of more than 32GB. XMG has stated they are working with suppliers to order specially binned RAM which can help avoid overheating to work at higher speeds.

MGI

Are there more details available about battery life? The respective section from the review appears to be incomplete.

How does it compare to the Strix G16, for instance, or to Strix G17?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview