News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Dell G5 15 5590 (i7-8750H, RTX 2060, SSD, FHD) Laptop Review

Started by Redaktion, May 29, 2019, 01:29:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The hardware in the Dell G5 allows for all modern computer games to run smoothly on the 15.6-inch display (FHD, IPS). The configuration is also appealing: SSD + HDD, 8 GB RAM (dual-channel mode is enabled) and Thunderbolt 3. The outstanding battery life is surprising. However, this price level also requires some compromises.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-G5-15-5590-i7-8750H-RTX-2060-SSD-FHD-Laptop-Review.422281.0.html

NikoB

I have old version G5 (8300+1050) and I am extremely dissatisfied with the laptop, I will write in order, which will also be a problem in the new version, and then I will write that from my point of view it has been improved (but at what price!):
--------------------
1. The quality of the drivers from Dell is disgusting. Video on the inline, discrete card, sound and the most most awful(!) for battery and power management Dell Power Manager! Can not be installed correctly without Miscrosoft Store in OS! What do those who want to install the corporate (LTSC for example!) version of the W10? Video drivers that Dell puts out are inoperable, fps in games is 2.5 times lower than after installing NVidia drivers, but in order to install them you will have to suffer a lot. What kind of fool thought of installing parts of critical drivers, their parts from MS.Store? Drivers ALWAYS must be placed in a separate offline package from the .exe file and nothing else! Developers at Dell, Intel, NVidia, New Waves for MaxxAudio Pro get it in your head! This is a mockery when such a vile scheme is used!
2. Keyboard, it is tactile awful. It is impossible to print blindly, there are a lot of mistakes due to the small elasticity of the keys and little progress at the same time, however, this is also noted in the 5590 review. After a normal keyboard on a PC, this is a terrible feeling. I didn't have this with any other laptop at 15.6 ". What kind of fool did you think of doing the F1-F12 narrow keys? Look at the Omen 15 2018 keyboard - it's perfect! Plus the keyboard is a nice backlight .. There are no changes in the 5590 model. This poor keyboard has now migrated to the Alienware series, which is twice as terrible!
3. BIOS can not be rolled back to the old version, other manufacturers have no problems with it. Because of this, each new version is an unpredictable quest with a likely negative result.
4. Tech. support outside the US is disgusting. It simply does not exist. Neither by phone, nor by e-mail. When you try to register on the site is a failure. Legally purchased from their official distributors in the country. Dell simply sends all customers outside USA to the forest, i.e, to the seller or in the service center. They ignore any bugs of software and drivers proven and proven by the client.
5. Laptop performance drops 2.3 times from the battery (Cinbench R15 only 399 for i5 8300H vs. 840 on AC!) and this is not fixed even in the new version 5590! See review! This does not allow any manufacturer. The closest competitor - Lenovo Y530 has no problems with battery performance. 800+ in CBR15 on AC and battery!
6. The quality of coolers disgusting from the factory. They started cracking in me after 2 months, despite the fact that 99% of the time was turned off (I do not play), thanks to the my undervolting and optimization of the W10.  According to reviews of people on the forums, 80% of G series buyers have the same problem! On my old Asus N550JK, the coolers are not turned off at all time, but they are quiet and still stable by noise on more than 3 years later!
7. The disgusting quality of batteries (despite the fact that they have only 300 official cycles, as opposed to 1000 for HP Omen series!) From the factories of everyone who spoke about this model. Typical loss of capacity -5-7% from the factory. After the first cycle I had -7% of the nominal capacity. At the same time, the battery in this series tends to spontaneously drop to zero and disconnect the laptop from any% charge. And this is despite the fact that Dell has limited the TDP of the processor to 19-20W from the battery! Already on the first cycle,  it dropped from 75% of the charge to 0%,  and turning off the laptop! And to prove the fact of accidental battery drops to zero in the Service Centers you will be almost impossible. Ie, inside of this series there are the most crappy chinese cells from possible. People write the same thing about the G3-G7, and bought in the US, confirmed many times  on forums...
8. Sound.  It very bad. Drivers are even worse. I have not heard such a rotten sound on any of the laptops I have had in the past 12 years! The speakers don't even have a hint of bass and are so quiet that my old Asus N550JK sounds 25-30% louder than this 100%! Pitiful product in a overhuge body weighing 2.8kg and does not fit into the standard bags for 15.6 "laptops! It is simply amazing! Yes there is a penny subwoofer could be put in such a volume of the case! There is no sound in the headphones either, while the drivers are completely crooked, because the W10 functionality is being destroyed, after installing them, and if they are not installed, nothing will work normally there. After installing Dell's drivers them from the system tray, it is impossible to switch a by couple of clicks to the output to the speakers<>headphones, as with the integrated drivers in W10. They have long been informed about this, and no corrections in drivers for july 2019.... I am sure everything is also in 5590.
9. Screen. Very cheap IPS, its only advantage is that it does not flicker (I have LG). But the response time is just as disgusting as on 5590 with AUO. One glance at my old monitor is enough to understand how slow it is for gaming and scroilling text  Color rendering shameful. Instead of red, you will see carrot color, instead of green, lime, etc. And this is a laptop for gaming and multimedia! Forget about normal colors, edit home movies and photos! This is not for this. Greedy Dell saved $5-10 on a normal IPS (and this is the difference in retail trading!). Although in 2019 even the installation of the FHD panels should be considered a disgrace for the notebook industry! Only UHD, even in laptops for $ 900-1000! Viewing angles are mediocre, and I also saw the AUO described in review 5590, the authors of notebookcheck are wrong, the angles are bad. I have seen much better at 15.6. In general, surfing and playing such an IPS is extremely unpleasant due to lubrication and bad angles when moving your head to the side. Moreover, all the matrix G5, which I saw and the reviews do not have the normal uniformity of illumination.
10. 5587 awfully attracts dust in room. Judging by the photos 5590 everything is exactly the same.
11. The noise in the games is terrible. Do not save even the gaming in headphones. I tried to play GTA5 a couple of hours immediately after the purchase and left this idea, because noise tires very quickly. As players on it play for hours in day, I can not even imagine with same awful noise... it's good that I have not played for a long time...
12. Version with 1050Ti is ruining the battery from the AC, because 130W power supply is banally short, it discharges in in games, and the battery has only 300 cycles... You have to buy a power supply for 180W, and a power supply from Dell with an identification chip means to you don't save money on buying a third-party or remaining from another laptop with the same voltage and the current will not work.

The only advantage of the old model G5 5587, which I managed to achieve in BIOS 1.5, is complete silence in surfing and office software, with a load on the cores no higher than 30%, thanks to the optimization of LTSC 1809, the laptop does not include coolers at all 99% of the time. With max performance of CPU. If it were not for this, I would have passed it immediately back to store... But with the new model, the case has become less voluminous, and the review is even noisier. Keep this in mind!

+++++++++++++++++
Now the obvious advantages of a new model in comparison with 5587, in my opinion:
1. The location of the ports. It has become more convenient, versatile, especially for right-handers. Finally, the nasty power plug on the left sticking to the side does not irritate us, and it runs up to break it out! Finally there is a DP port with G-Sync! Audiport was moved to the left. Dell and who prevents to unsolder two audio jacks and put 5.1 Realtek inside? On left and right side? I had this on a laptop in 2008 with 3 audio jacks! And interchangeable (line/headphone/microphoine for all 3 ports!)! And while there was optical SPDIF for galvanic isolation in one port for external DAC! 4-pin audio port cracked only cocnstantly, you need a second backup audio jack always on notebook! Do you know how difficult it is to solder this connector? Nor did you take it out for a fee! How did HP in Omen. Overall, Dell began copying HP solutions (best case, keyboard, and port layout of 2018 at 15.6)
2. The ability to buy an option from 144Hz IPS, but be careful to one thing! All 144Hz IPS models that looked at the notebookcheck have poor contrast. At best, 800: 1 (and more often 500-600: 1), which is sharply below the norm of 1000: 1. A comfortable eye level starts with 1300: 1.
3. More compact body, though at the price of increased noise...

Now, after all of the above, with most of the shortcomings, with the exception of a more convenient location of ports and a power plug, migrated to the new 5590, think about whether to buy it, given that the younger versions have risen sharply in retail. And the port TB3.0 lost with 1050Ti for new 5590!

Why did I buy 5587? Because version 8300 + 1050 was the cheapest on the market. And about all these shoals, I learned later, because they were not obvious and were not even considered by anyone in the forums. If HP did not put a ugly keyboard with red backlight and barely visible symbols of red, I would buy HP Omen. Well, there was no TB3.0, which decided the choice in favor of this misunderstanding.

I personally, based on the results of almost one-year use, do not highly recommend the G-series from Dell. I could not feel the keyboard before the purchase, the realization that it was terrible later, after about 2-3 weeks, when I tried to type a lot and get used to it. The remaining problems finally led me to the conclusion that the purchase was extremely unfortunate in everything. In addition to the noise in the office software and surfing. And even at the cost of great optimization efforts, which the average buyer will not be able to and will not be able to do!

Good luck to everyone with a choice, think with your head and carefully collect the data bit by bit, read the reviews carefully if they already exist at the time of purchase! And especially the forums, so a lot of information is far from obvious to people not in the subject!

NikoB

13. Gaming series not support XMP profiles for DDR4. It is shame! By only mudules 2666 with standart JEDEC profile for 2666Mhz!

14. Very poor BIOS for RAM tunnings (delays) and etc. Lenovo Y530 have 43 screens with settings  in engenerring mode (it easy to unlock)!

15. Battery in W10 not show reak charge. Only after 95% it show real discharge...

Dr. Gonzo

I own this laptop (5590) and the G5 before this (5587) and can safely say that the 5590 is a better machine in every way - as to be expected, right?

The 5587 had massive cooling issues and would throttle consistently although I am not a heavy gamer anymore (besides Witcher 3 being the only intense game I play) and I could live with the poor thermals.

I was expecting much of the same Thermal capabilities from this newer model but it is FAAAAAR better. Dell has released some (better) thermal controls - limited but the aggressive cooling profile really keeps my laptop from throttling even during The Witcher 3 - I really am happy that the cooling is better in this model.The exhaust vents are from the rear and from both sides - think Legion.

The design of the newer model is more modern and the laptop has a good and solid build feel to it - although the 5587 also felt very well built.

The keyboards are largely the same although I feel the newer one has a little for travel - could just be me. Regardless, I really like the keyboards on Dells and Alienwares.

The ONLY thing I wish that Dell offered on the 5590 is a 2/3 year warranty that my 5587 has. Otherwise, I am a happy camper and I am really impressed with the new G5 5590.

abird

Does the mini Display Port connect directly to the dGPU rather than the iGPU?  I'm interested in this laptop for use with an Oculus Rift S, but understand that the mini Diplay Port will not work for the Rift S if it is connected to the iGPU (& the dGPU is managed by Optimus)?
Also, is it possible to diable the iGPU/Optimus in the BIOS?

Luke Clemens

This is a good article, and it has a lot of valuable information, however, I will have to disagree with the battery usage section. There is a NASTY bug where once the laptop wakes from sleep, it uses much more power (about 20 to 30 percent more on idle).   The only way to reset the c-states back to a working condition is to reboot. Since most people use sleep on laptops instead of shutting down, this BIOS bug will affect just about everyone.

You can read about the problem by googling "G5 5590, RTX2060 kills CPU C-States after Standby/Hibernate" and clicking on the first reddit link.

So for anyone reading this article... subtract 1/4 from each number representing battery life because Dell engineers can't be bothered to fix their mistake.

Nico van Loggerenberg

Maybe there's a difference in models, but I bought one and not only was it noisy and hot, it had a terrible fan whine, enough that I returned it almost immediately. Not recommended.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview