News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

New AMD Zen 5 and Strix Halo leak suggests potentially lower clock speeds vs Zen 4 chips as Strix Halo APUs could debut in ASUS TUF laptops

Started by Redaktion, August 22, 2023, 10:55:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Ryzen 8000 processors based on AMD's Zen 5 CPU architecture could debut in H2 2024/early 2025 with core counts, L2/L3 cache, and TDP figures matching the current Ryzen 7000 chips. A new report from RedGamingTech alleges potentially disappointing news regarding Zen 5 boost clocks as well as information concerning the laptops featuring the AMD Strix Halo APUs.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/New-AMD-Zen-5-and-Strix-Halo-leak-suggests-potentially-lower-clock-speeds-vs-Zen-4-chips-as-Strix-Halo-APUs-could-debut-in-ASUS-TUF-laptops.742857.0.html

Neenyah

Quote from: Redaktion on August 22, 2023, 10:55:27"The Ryzen 8000 processors based on AMD's Zen 5 CPU architecture could debut in H2 2024/early 2025..."

...and become available to public around the end of 2028 🥱 I used to be quite hyped about AMD but if I literally cannot spend my money on their product(s) because that is nowhere to be found... yeah, no.

Sinocelt

Quote from: Neenyah on August 22, 2023, 13:00:05...and become available to public around the end of 2028 🥱 I used to be quite hyped about AMD but if I literally cannot spend my money on their product(s) because that is nowhere to be found... yeah, no.

I wish I could disagree, but... 😕

heffeque

They are found on Chinese mini-PC, such as the UM790, but drivers are still not up to par.

I'm assuming that major brands are waiting for proper drivers first, to start selling laptops and mini-PC with 7040HS/U components.

A Gamer

Quote from: Neenyah on August 22, 2023, 13:00:05
Quote from: Redaktion on August 22, 2023, 10:55:27"The Ryzen 8000 processors based on AMD's Zen 5 CPU architecture could debut in H2 2024/early 2025..."

...and become available to public around the end of 2028 🥱 I used to be quite hyped about AMD but if I literally cannot spend my money on their product(s) because that is nowhere to be found... yeah, no.

Even if this product was launched early / on-time, I no longer see the point of it. There's too many other issues. Like let's assume a lower tdp part of 65w is used on a sarlak laptop. Add another 10w for screen, speakers, wifi, etc that makes total laptop power draw 75w. Let's say a 79 Wh battery is used on this laptop, that's basically 1 hr battery life while gaming. How is this better than current laptops (a RTX 4080 laptop pretty much downclocks itself and limits tdp to rtx 4050-4060 levels of performance while gaming on battery and still gets 1.5 hrs)? By the time this launches, RTX 4000 series laptop pricing will drop, so it won't be winning in price war, supply war, battery life or driver maturity. So what exactly is the point of this chip? minipc owners like heffeque?

And don't get me started on how there's still a billion threads on reddit of people doing laptop surgery after 3 years / generations of amd apu laptops later, just to swap out the mediatek NIC for an intel one. (because intel still provide more stable latency)

Then there's the fact that snapdragon 8 gen 2 handhelds are getting cheap, deliver way better battery life. Switch emulation on android is getting good, soon will reach feature parity with pc builds. Custom gpu drivers (mesa freedreno turnip) are being worked on this chip which further improve accuracy and performance.

The Switch 2 will be out by the time these strix halo laptops arrive. I just don't see the point anymore. Why on earth would I download a 100-150gb pc port of game when the switch version is like 16 gb, and running them on arm device delivers like 5 hrs vs 1.5 hr max on a x86 device. Not to mention way less heat and far lighter device.

Irish_Adam

Quote from: A Gamer on August 22, 2023, 18:38:56

Even if this product was launched early / on-time, I no longer see the point of it. There's too many other issues. Like let's assume a lower tdp part of 65w is used on a sarlak laptop. Add another 10w for screen, speakers, wifi, etc that makes total laptop power draw 75w. Let's say a 79 Wh battery is used on this laptop, that's basically 1 hr battery life while gaming. How is this better than current laptops (a RTX 4080 laptop pretty much downclocks itself and limits tdp to rtx 4050-4060 levels of performance while gaming on battery and still gets 1.5 hrs)? By the time this launches, RTX 4000 series laptop pricing will drop, so it won't be winning in price war, supply war, battery life or driver maturity. So what exactly is the point of this chip? minipc owners like heffeque?

And don't get me started on how there's still a billion threads on reddit of people doing laptop surgery after 3 years / generations of amd apu laptops later, just to swap out the mediatek NIC for an intel one. (because intel still provide more stable latency)

Then there's the fact that snapdragon 8 gen 2 handhelds are getting cheap, deliver way better battery life. Switch emulation on android is getting good, soon will reach feature parity with pc builds. Custom gpu drivers (mesa freedreno turnip) are being worked on this chip which further improve accuracy and performance.

The Switch 2 will be out by the time these strix halo laptops arrive. I just don't see the point anymore. Why on earth would I download a 100-150gb pc port of game when the switch version is like 16 gb, and running them on arm device delivers like 5 hrs vs 1.5 hr max on a x86 device. Not to mention way less heat and far lighter device.

This has to be the most crazed rambling I have ever read on this site.

I mean did you honestly just compare this APU to a GPU on its own? Pretty sure that for a RTX 4080 to work you would need to pair with it with a CPU which would also require power.

The very reason for the existence of APU's or integrated graphics is that they are far more efficient. There is just no way that Strix Halo is going to use more power than a CPU +dGPU combo for the same performance. That's just crazy talk.

A Gamer

Quote from: Irish_Adam on August 24, 2023, 16:44:57
Quote from: A Gamer on August 22, 2023, 18:38:56

This has to be the most crazed rambling I have ever read on this site.

I mean did you honestly just compare this APU to a GPU on its own? Pretty sure that for a RTX 4080 to work you would need to pair with it with a CPU which would also require power.

The very reason for the existence of APU's or integrated graphics is that they are far more efficient. There is just no way that Strix Halo is going to use more power than a CPU +dGPU combo for the same performance. That's just crazy talk.

It will definitely move the needle forward when it comes to moving the performance tier forward for 1.5 hrs of gaming. I'm just not too sure how the efficiency will scale like if one were to play lighter titles with capped fps / low details .. just how much more efficiency could be squeezed out while maximizing battery life. I guess we won't truly know until it's released. But my pessimistic view is based on history. If it'll be as truly revolutionary as some think it'll be, then it won't be cheap. Just look how the majority of time zen 3 6-core cpu were sold for like 299. It's only recently you can get them close to 100. The only positive take away I've from all these zen 5 APU leaks, is that hopefully when these do eventually release it'll cause zen 4 apu+dgpu laptops to drop to much more reasonable pricing.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview