News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Samsung Galaxy Book4 Edge rumoured to be coming this month with powerful Qualcomm Snapdragon X Elite X1E-80-100 chipset

Started by Redaktion, May 08, 2024, 17:07:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

According to a new report, Samsung is nearing delivering its first Qualcomm Snapdragon X-powered laptop. Allegedly, the Galaxy Book4 Edge will debut later this month with the X1E-80-100, the most powerful version of the Snapdragon X Elite announced thus far.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Samsung-Galaxy-Book4-Edge-rumoured-to-be-coming-this-month-with-powerful-Qualcomm-Snapdragon-X-Elite-X1E-80-100-chipset.835227.0.html

paviko

Too little, too late. Apple is already on 2nd gen TSMC 3 with M4. This one is on 4 years old tech (TSMC 4 is like TSMC 5). Slower single threaded, multi threading 12 HP core comparable to 4HP + 4LP in Apple SoC. Price higher than M3 Air at the level of more powerfull M3 Pro.
If you don't want Apple, there are a lot great cheap Amd/Intel laptops for half the price - with excellent battery life >12h. Just check notebookcheck reviews.

Erm

Quote from: paviko on May 08, 2024, 18:02:24Too little, too late. Apple is already on 2nd gen TSMC 3 with M4. This one is on 4 years old tech (TSMC 4 is like TSMC 5). Slower single threaded, multi threading 12 HP core comparable to 4HP + 4LP in Apple SoC. Price higher than M3 Air at the level of more powerfull M3 Pro.
If you don't want Apple, there are a lot great cheap Amd/Intel laptops for half the price - with excellent battery life >12h. Just check notebookcheck reviews.

Erm, so I honestly don't get the point of using 4 year old node fab tech. Yes, and? Nobody is currently using TSMC 3nm, not even your AMD/intel laptops. Apple has always been ahead of ever else here. And what's wrong with using an older node? You realize using the latest and greatest means the products that are using it are going to be expensive.

M4 is barely any improvement at all, btw. It gets +50% in multithreaded just by adding 2 extra e-cores alone. Seems to be barely any single threaded ipc gains. The 4x GPU improvement using same 10 core GPU probably is something that isn't done in h/w on the m3 such as RT workload, meaning barely any raster improvement. Not saying this is the end of apple, even if they're stagnating a bit. After all, intel did 5 years of skylake cores and still surviving just fine.

I am no fan of qcomm. I do think it's gonna fail but not so much the hardware being so terrible but more due to Microsoft and windows on arm not being on the same level or state of optimization that apple has done with macOS and their silicon.

Not sure why you seem so upset. We don't know the real pricing yet afaik. But if it's a huge fail, they're gonna have to be forced to price drop products to netbook celeron category, which means savings for us customers. I think 12 arm cores for $650 isn't too bad. But again, we'll have to wait and see how it goes. I've no doubt they'll initially try to charge much higher.. then if nobody buys into them, the fire sales may start. :)

paviko

Yes, good points. I'm not upset. Just they promised it will be superior, but from presented data from Qualcomm, it will be just almost as good as others.
Price is crucial. Now they are targeting premium where SoC price is not adding much to final price. Lets hope that in near feture there will be nonpremium laptops with the same SoC.

Noel

Qualcomm took WAY to long getting this out. When they first announced the elite x apple were touting the M2 (the M3 came out around the same time as the announcement of elite x), since then apple have not only released the m3 but now the m4.
Why announce something like this 6+ months out, at this rate the elite x2 will be available in 2026 to compete with the m4, meanwhile apple will be on the m6/m7 by then.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview