News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

System76 CEO blames Ubuntu flip-flopping for shift to Pop!_OS, talks up benefits of in-house OS development

Started by Redaktion, February 08, 2024, 01:25:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

In a recent interview, the CEO of System76, the company that makes the Pop!_OS Linux distribution, talks about what prompted the move away from Ubuntu and provides some insights into the end-goal of Pop!_OS.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/System76-CEO-blames-Ubuntu-flip-flopping-for-shift-to-Pop_OS-talks-up-benefits-of-in-house-OS-development.801280.0.html

indy

Finally settled on Ubuntu after trying Windows 11, Mint.

Ubuntu booted the fastest, most reliable, least bloat, and supported Firefox the best. Sticking with it.

Max Steven

Great article thanks for your work!

I'm a professional graphics-oriented Linux user deeply involved in AI, primarily utilizing Nvidia cards. For me, Pop!_OS works better than any other distro I've tried.

Yes, I've experimented with Arch and Arch-based distros, as well as Fedora and Tumbleweed, among others. But, for someone who values stability over the thrill of distro-hopping and needs to rely on their system, Pop!_OS is outstanding.

Additionally, I've experienced zero issues running Steam games.

Leandro

lol, I definitely won't use something that is called pop_os!. System76 ceo can do whatever he wants, who cares?

fgngfnfgn

Quote from: Max Steven on February 08, 2024, 12:22:06Great article thanks for your work!

I'm a professional graphics-oriented Linux user deeply involved in AI, primarily utilizing Nvidia cards. For me, Pop!_OS works better than any other distro I've tried.

Yes, I've experimented with Arch and Arch-based distros, as well as Fedora and Tumbleweed, among others. But, for someone who values stability over the thrill of distro-hopping and needs to rely on their system, Pop!_OS is outstanding.

Additionally, I've experienced zero issues running Steam games.
should just try Ubuntu

Neenyah

Quote from: Max Steven on February 08, 2024, 12:22:06For me, Pop!_OS works better than any other distro I've tried.

Yep, same experience here. I have Windows on my desktop and my main laptop but my backup laptop is running Pop! flawlessly, zero issues at all, great battery life (comparable to Windows which is a feat on its own in Linux world), perfect so far for anything I need (and despite being a backup laptop I still use it frequently).

Vince

I just bought a new laptop with Linux as the only OS. I considered buying a laptop from System 76. I like Pop OS, but ultimately felt that Fedora fit my needs better.

Leandro's mom

Quote from: Leandro on February 08, 2024, 13:00:23lol, I definitely won't use something that is called pop_os!. System76 ceo can do whatever he wants, who cares?

have you done your homework for tomorrow?
you can't come emptyhanded forever

julian.vdm

Quote from: Leandro on February 08, 2024, 13:00:23lol, I definitely won't use something that is called pop_os!. System76 ceo can do whatever he wants, who cares?

Haha. Despite the name, it's a great productivity distro. Very stable and offers solid support for powerful hardware. It also looks quite nice.

Julian Cardich

It is obvious that the guys at System76 like experimenting and fiddling around with OSes, desktops and programming languages. That's why their desktop is so buggy. In my opinion, they should drop those nasty experiments and focus on their hardware.

A

Quote from: Julian Cardich on February 09, 2024, 16:54:13It is obvious that the guys at System76 like experimenting and fiddling around with OSes, desktops and programming languages. That's why their desktop is so buggy. In my opinion, they should drop those nasty experiments and focus on their hardware.

Hardware is linked with software, you can't do one without the other. PopOS is mostly Ubuntu, with their own DE that makes it more user friendly

Francis

My favorite OS is Slackware.  Has been since 1991.  I have worked with professionally RedHat, SLES, Debian and now Ubuntu.  I prefer the KDE environment over gnome.  I have considered System76 but if I did choose it I would load my own OS onto it.   I can easily support many different Linux Distributions.  I tell people on systems I manage you can go with the distribution you choose of go with the distribution I support and load onto your system.  The difference is you will need to support your own distribution. If you choose to go with one that you load on yourself.  you will also need to configure your own distribution as well.

Several people have chosen to go with their own distribution.  But eventually go to my image on their system.

I would love to have an environment where everyone's hardware is identical.  Like we had at Linux Networx.  Making a change and updating through chron was a snap. most importantly it was beneficial when modules are built into the kernel for purposes of speed.  Which is required for Infiniband and Mellanox modules.  It that case it is imperative that you have identical distributions with identical configurations.  Especially on diskless systems.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview