News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

European price of ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 with an AMD Ryzen 9 5900HS, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Max-Q and a 165 Hz display revealed

Started by Redaktion, January 15, 2021, 15:11:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorby

I wholeheartedly disagree with the other comments.

These are gaming laptops, and having the FHD screen option allows you to play games at their native resolution without downscaling to 1080p on a QHD screen, which doesn't look great on a big screen monitor, even worse on a small screen laptop. In addition, for reading text, font rendering in general on Windows 10 is not much better on higher resolution beyond 1440p due to ClearType being problematic.

4K UHD is still very expensive for the vast majority and costs a lot of power to drive 4x as many pixels as a QHD display. Until we develop a technology to be able to get solid 12hrs of work-day battery on a 4K display on a laptop at less than 1 watt power consumption, Low-Power 1080p IPS displays will always be around.

Not to mention lowering the base cost of already overblown laptop prices

What matters more is portable screens moving onto HDR1000 and 10-bit color support, thanks to the introduction of longer-life OLED and the new miniLED technology with lower power consumption.

Alexander_

Quote from: Dorby on January 16, 2021, 19:06:32...
4K UHD is still very expensive for the vast majority and costs a lot of power to drive 4x as many pixels as a QHD display. ....

1. If you are going to play everything on a laptop first, then it will probably be connected to the power supply. And here the talk about autonomy no longer matters much.
2. The fact that laptops with good panels are more expensive shouldn't mean that they don't need to be made.
Macbooks are a prime example of this: almost all come with a good pixel density. And people buy a lot of these.

ripdream

Quote from: Owen on January 15, 2021, 15:34:43
So 5600H and 3060 version would cost $1,500? That is expensive indeed
Keep dreaming. If you want G14/G15 with 3060 you will have to pay an extra $$$ for 8 cores and UHD.

_MT_

Quote from: Alexander_ on January 17, 2021, 12:50:53
1. If you are going to play everything on a laptop first, then it will probably be connected to the power supply. And here the talk about autonomy no longer matters much.
2. The fact that laptops with good panels are more expensive shouldn't mean that they don't need to be made.
Macbooks are a prime example of this: almost all come with a good pixel density. And people buy a lot of these.
The problem is that Microsoft isn't Apple. Apple did a much better job of transitioning to displays with higher pixel density. Windows is simply junk. Of course, it's easier for Apple as they only have to support their own hardware. But Microsoft could have avoided the problem. There was support for scaling going way back. They never got it to work properly. And most people didn't care because they didn't need it. Until higher DPI came around. And suddenly, it was a problem that nobody cared about how well the scaling works. It's the old story of Microsoft being incompetent when it comes to spit and polish. This isn't really a problem for gaming in particular, but it is a problem in general.

I think you should read his comment again. I don't think he wrote anything about "4k" gaming. A lot of people actually game at 1920x1080 and in that case, it's best to have a display that supports that resolution natively. Or integer multiple. Like 3840x2160. As it allows trivial scaling. A separate issue is that higher native resolution will impact battery life. At all times. Which can matter. Perhaps not really a factor for full-fat gaming laptops (just like workstations, not very portable), but a factor for laptops in general. The difference in power consumption while gaming doesn't have to be that large as you'll be playing at different frame rates. Of course, you could limit frame rate. It's the more mundane stuff where it really matters.

Alexander_

Quote from: _MT_ on January 17, 2021, 18:15:09
The problem is that Microsoft isn't Apple. Apple did a much better job of transitioning to displays with higher pixel density. Windows is simply junk...
I have the impression that you have not used Windows 10. And if you have "tried it", then you simply did not delve into the display settings at different resolutions. Yes, this is not entirely obvious for a weak user, but it is quite possible to set up a comfortable display.
By the way, I have a friend who has been using Macs for 6 years and he is actively considering laptops specifically for Windows.

You say that FHD is enough for games. I have nothing against. Everyone chooses what he/she likes. But I like a picture with a good pixel density much better. Even if it's upscailing.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview