News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Asus VivoBook 15 OLED Review: Quiet Office Notebook With Strong Screen

Started by Redaktion, April 29, 2022, 17:47:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Vivobook stands out with a Ryzen 7-5700U APU, 16 GB RAM (dual-channel mode) and an OLED screen (FHD, 15.6 inch). The latter offers an excellent black level and good color space coverage (DCI-P3: 100%). This comes hand-in-hand with average battery runtimes.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-VivoBook-15-OLED-Review-Quiet-Office-Notebook-With-Strong-Screen.616291.0.html

NikoB

A screen with monstrous glare, with a Pentile structure (resolution on the red and blue channels is 2 times lower than on IPS), a resource of up to 50% brightness drop in just 7000 hours, against 15000 hours for IPS, a ridiculous contrast for OLED at 36000: 1 (instead of 1000000:1, i.e. black is not black in the dark), for the sake of allegedly eliminating low-frequency PWM, again at the cost of losing color depth (bit depth) due to explicit dc-dimming - is this a plus for this laptop? Author are you sure?

On top of that, as usual, Acer/Asus/MSI/Gigabyte has a non-standart cutted digital block in keyboard for many years for 15" models compared to the normal one in HP/Dell/Lenovo, i.e. it is definitely not suitable for office work.

Moreover, most of the office now has 2-3 monitors - this is the working standard. And here is only a pathetic HDMI, and I suppose even 1.4b, instead of 2.0b?

Today, 16GB in dual-channel mode is the minimum for office work and even for home use. For a serious one, especially with such an 8-core processor, they usually put 32GB right away. In 2021, 32GB was already the defacto standard both at home and in the office, and it's almost the middle of 2022 in the yard.. Otherwise, they will lag about the virtual machines for which it is imprisoned due to a banal lack of fast memory

And at the same time, the RAM configuration setting is just terrible! A monstrous latency of 99ns(!) and an exchange rate below 40Gb/s?! Asus fire your engineers!

The reader is slow, although the fast one costs $4-5 if bought separately. Asus why?

Wi-Fi is slow even for 2020 (AX200 price is 10$). And at the same time, there is no RJ45 for Gigabit Lan (although today you already need 2.5-5Gbps via cable, at least), although it is inside the SoC and there is plenty of space on the side.

The webcam is again a disgrace to the entire IT industry - pathetic HD. And this is in the era of videoconferencing?! What is the problem to put at least a miserable FHD? Oh yes, right there the screen is not FHD, but HD in fact, Pentile ...

1.8kg and 42Wh battery? They cost pennies. Why not 70Wh?

The noise under load is horrendous. Despite the fact that PL1 / 2 is much lower than Lenovo with the same SoC and it is quieter in the same class of laptops ...

Ednumero

> Pentile structure

I believe the screen is proper RGB if the matrix photo in this review is anything to go by: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-Vivobook-15-K513EQ-OLED-laptop-review-The-Lenovo-IdeaPad-alternative.577404.0.html

The structure of the dots can be confusing to look at, because it isn't like the stripes you find in LCDs. It also has subdivided color segments instead of contiguous segments per pixel. The screen is divided into square regions which each contain independent copies of all three RGB components, though.

In any case I agree PenTile is problematic and needs to be phased out of devices it is used in -- especially phones, where it's still the only type of OLED that I've found to be available. Better to have 'lower' resolution full RGB displays than 'higher' resolution RG/BG ones. But I digress.

A matte OLED option in the laptop product space would be welcome, for sure.

NikoB

>edit1754
In reality, this is not so. There is precisely what is not a complete RGB set, if evaluated as part of the declared resolution, which is clearly visible in the photo.
>Dorby, not Pentile
I put it incorrectly for "Pentile", the point is that these are all the panels that are sold today with Amoled in laptops do not have full resolution in color, like IPS. It is a fact.

The pluses AMOLED are clear:
1. Super black without DC-Dimming, but exclusively in complete darkness. In office lighting, the contrast of the IPS is visually higher, which everyone who has compared at least the top AMOLED smartphones vs. best IPS variants.
2. Great viewing angles.
3. A quick response (if not sprinkled with the electronics of the panel). They have no competitors here. Even the "60Hz" panels may well have a response time of 2-3 ms, which is available for IPS at best only on "300Hz" panels and then most often it is a fake.

There are much more minuses:
1. With normal color reproduction and depth of color - guaranteed flicker due to PWM at brightness working levels (in the office and at home it is usually 80-140 NIT). If the lighting is smaller (for example, a floor lamp in a room with a notebook), then the flicker and the rest of the nervous system is guaranteed from it.
2. Always monstrous glare in a complex of light sources.
3. Rapid burnout (6000-7000 real hours (see ASUS specs) instead of 15000-20000 hours at IPS).
3. Incomplete resolution in color (which can be compensated by buying a laptop with a panel of at least 4K declared resolution - but this sharply increases the price).
4. Almost always, after hardware calibration, it turns out that it is not possible to reduce the display of the AMOLED level <2 on dE 2000. IPS is most often easy.

If a person does not watch cinema and series on the screen of the laptop with Amoled in the complete darkness - no one needs such a screen. Better IPS.screen.

NikoB

>Dorby

Keyboard Is Different for EVERY LAPTOP, There is no "Standard".
Almost all working people seriously require a normal digital block. All developers, scientists, engineers, financiers. What is placed on ASUS/Acer/MSI/Gigabyte instead of a normal digital unit does not allow you to print in blind - nonsense only for those who consume content. This is what it is said - the laptop workers are produced only by Lenovo (the only Chinese company with the European level)/HP/Dell. It is for this reason that I will never buy a laptop from any other Chinese company - a spoiled digital block.
- Battle Is the Most Expensive Component on Laptops, It Costs Anything But Pennies.
Nonsense. The difference in price even at $ 20 is not worth it. I calmly bought a battery in China for my ThinkPad at 93W and and she only lost 30%after 5 years. She cost retail $ 45.
- Average SD Slot IS> $ 40 per unit, not $ 4-5. SD Express Costs Even More That.
Complete nonsense, I have a 100MB/s+ for $ 4-5 on my local network. And they can really so much. Checked.
-MediaTek / Realtek Wi-Fi 5 is Normal for Low-End Laptops.
I bought Intel AX200 on Ali for $ 9 in retail in the fall of 2020, it works great.
- This WAS 500 USD at The Lowest Which is Ridiculously Good Value. Many Pricier Laptops Had Far Worse Display and Keyboard.
This laptop costs more than $840, it is 100% not low-end laptop.

ITexpert77

No detectable PWM?

But you write it's the same panel "Samsung ATNA56YX03" as the November review of Asus Vivobook 15 K513EQ which has horrible 59 Hz flickering!
(same website)/Asus-Vivobook-15-K513EQ-OLED-laptop-review-The-Lenovo-IdeaPad-alternative.577404.0.html

So which review is right for the Samsung ATNA56YX03 panel, this one (no flickering), or the November review (59Hz!)??

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview