News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Medion Erazer Beast X40 review: Gaming notebook with RTX 4090

Started by Redaktion, March 24, 2023, 14:19:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Go big, not go home: With the Core i9-13900HX and GeForce RTX 4090 Laptop, Medion has given this notebook the latest and most powerful hardware available right now. The device also features a fast 16:10 screen (2,560 x 1,600), a mechanical keyboard and a pretty good battery life.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Medion-Erazer-Beast-X40-review-Gaming-notebook-with-RTX-4090.702658.0.html

Staledreed

This is an excellent thorough write-up for an impressive laptop.

Nevertheless, 4500 Euro makes the whole thing seem less impressive somehow.  I can't help but think the price-point on hardware across the board is just moving people away from enthusiast PCs.

RobertJasiek

Quote from: Staledreed on March 24, 2023, 20:26:30This is an excellent thorough write-up

No. The review fails to mention the chips' liquid metal, does not state PL1/2 for dual use and has a weak study of noise depending on fan modes and softwares.

QuoteNevertheless, 4500 Euro makes the whole thing seem less impressive somehow.  I can't help but think the price-point on hardware across the board is just moving people away from enthusiast PCs.

Yes.

LL

Bennyg11

Quote from: LL on March 25, 2023, 02:24:094090 with a similar performance to best 4080 is strange with 175w
? Thats just not the case, the 4090(M) is a larger "wider" chip with more SMs and a bigger memory bus, so the performance gain over 4080 is all due to efficiency at the same maximum 175W power draw

It is a worthy discussion whether the performance gain over 4080M is worth the $1k premium being charged (especially as other resellers of this model charge only $500USD) ... but on air-cooling only this unit is up there with where a 4090M should be, and is clearly the fastest mobile GPU you can buy when the liquid cooling is active

LL

Apologies did not specified what i was talking about. I do 3D between other things so i always take a very close look at GPU render that notebookcheck posts here.  This laptop have a render in  v3.3 Classroom OPTIX/RTX of 14 seconds, it is also listed a 4080 with 15 sec. 

Note that the best 4090 is 10 seconds a significant difference of 40%.

Note that Blender maximizes RTX performances since Optix is already a raytracing engine. It is not only simple CUDA so it is good to test this cards.
It would have been preferably doing the Blender benchmark since it tests 3 different scenes  but classroom it is still useful, but i guess it will be changed for Geforce 5000 series since it is already  showing to be not much of a challenge for top line cards.   

Renato

I bought one of these, here in the UK with the reseller scan. The laptop arrived fine.

Here is where the problems begin, scan or any other reseller is not importing the water cooler kit, so you need to source this with other methods, at this point, I'm waiting for an order with a package forwarder from Germany. I contacted Medion about the issue on their forum, and the admin told me the water cooler is only sold in Germany, not bringing Medion forward to put an option for UK owners to buy.

Another issue is about the firmware update, there is ZERO information on Medion about the 4090 freezes, XMG is taking it very seriously, with information about the firmware development status on their website.

This is a very expensive laptop and the company Medion (Lenovo Subsidiary) as they state on their website, don't seem to care about their customers.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview