News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad P1 G6 review: 80 W GeForce RTX 4080 for ultrathin workstation

Started by Redaktion, December 08, 2023, 23:04:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Neenyah

Quote from: Ron1 on February 17, 2024, 20:13:50
Quote from: Neenyah on February 17, 2024, 16:56:49Lol, so now charging at lower power is destroying battery, for the first time in the history. Nice.
Working and charging with underpowered charger at the same is really bad for battery.
That is correct. But then you just grab a stronger charger if you know you will need it. Many ThinkPad users simply use their heavy brick (like the one from this review here) in their office to power their dock and another one smaller and lighter in their bag and/or at their home. As long as you have 195W+ you will have enough power to not run into described situation and there are USBC chargers of up to 240W (P1's slim tip is 230W).

Quote from: Ron1 on February 17, 2024, 20:13:50As consumption goes over charger capacity notebook dips into battery in short charge-discharge cycles which is bad. Even worse if it is already charged to 100% and it immediately tries to fill that power spike back into battery when consumption normalises, thus creating a short charging spikes at around full battery.That's battery killer behaviour.
That is also true in many cases but not really here or with any ThinkPad in general; first - they won't charge at all if they were full and dropped to 99, 98, 97 or 96%. You can use a laptop at 100%, unplug it, let it drop to 96% and plug the charger back in and it won't charge back to 100% until you drop below 95%.

My X1 Carbon is "plugged in, not charging" at 99% since Wednesday, for example. It is how Lenovo protects battery's health, plus there is a lot more little tweaks and things they do to protect batteries from lack of users' knowledge about batteries in general. At least with ThinkPads, I can't say for other laptops but no ThinkPad is exception here.

Another thing they offer directly in Vantage is battery thresholds. I believe the image is pretty self-explanatory but I'll still describe it in few words if you don't mind; you activate thresholds if you want, you don't have to use them if you don't want. You can set any percentage you wish of when to start charging and to how much to charge your battery. In my example I can be on any charger in the world and it won't start charging as long as I'm above 40%, it will also stop charging immediately as it reaches 60% so it won't use battery at all during that process (if I'm at 65W or stronger charger) but it won't charge it completely either. Of course you can set anything, like to start charging at 80% and stop at 90% if you want, it's bizarre but hey it's an option. When I need full juice I simply disable thresholds, let it charge to full and then activate it again.

Quote from: Ron1 on February 17, 2024, 20:13:50Also underpowered chargers tend to emit much more heat.
Hm, not necessarily because an OEM who knows their job won't allow that, they will simply say something like "Weak charging state, please check power charger" if it detects that it's, well, too weak, or it will simply refuse to charge at all because it is too weak. The P1 Gen 6 is certainly not charging any hotter with 90W charger than it does with 230W and if the charger itself is heating up then that's another issue outside of laptop OEM scope of work.

But they - again, at least Lenovo with ThinkPads, and again I can't comment about non-ThinkPads in those regards - do everything they can to prevent any possible damage from charging even if you try to charge with the weirdest s*** in existence like those custom-made frankenstein chargers that people make at home and are basically little bombs - the laptop simply won't charge at all if it detects anything harmful for itself or for its battery. Again #2 - no ThinkPad is exception in that regard.

lmao

Quote from: Neenyah on February 17, 2024, 21:35:29Many ThinkPad users simply use their heavy brick (like the one from this review here) in their office to power their dock and another one smaller and lighter in their bag and/or at their home
proof or gtfo
curious to see statistics numbers behind your claim

dom6770

I'd love to see how the reviewer got 4 hours of battery life, my unit (i7 13700H, 4060 and the 165 Hz screen) cannot even achieve an hour with 80 % charge.

thinkp_usr

Hey, I'm very interested in this last part "We also have to mention the frame rate stutters when video streaming"

Because I'm experiencing it myself using a lower end config with the OLED panel and the RTX 2000 Ada with a 13700H, did you find out what was happening?

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview