News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad P1 G6 review: 80 W GeForce RTX 4080 for ultrathin workstation

Started by Redaktion, December 08, 2023, 23:04:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Thinkpad P1 G6 features hardware commonly found on gaming laptops such as the GeForce RTX 4080 GPU and a liquid metal thermal interface, but everything is wrapped in a professional aesthetic fit for executive environments.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-P1-G6-review-80-W-GeForce-RTX-4080-for-ultrathin-workstation.778650.0.html

NikoB

Overclocked memory (the H series only supports 5200) is a plus, but for that price they could have installed 32x2 right away.

Otherwise, a very boring and at the same time dangerous for the eyes laptop, with a color resolution lower than stated.

With a cropped, non-classic keyboard and a lot of other shortcomings.

It would be interesting to hear the opinion of Lenovo marketers - who was this machine conceived for, who is the target audience?

NikoB

Quoteonly supports one internal SSD
Up to 8 TB (2 x 4 TB) PCIe Gen4 Performance NVMe SSD - from Lenovo site, although even in the photo you can see that there are two m.2 slots...

Bizarro_NikoB

Quote from: NikoB on December 08, 2023, 23:43:50
Quoteonly supports one internal SSD
Up to 8 TB (2 x 4 TB) PCIe Gen4 Performance NVMe SSD - from Lenovo site, although even in the photo you can see that there are two m.2 slots...

You lose one of the slots if you get a model with the vapor chamber cooling.

Bizarro_NikoB

Quote from: NikoB on December 08, 2023, 23:36:24Overclocked memory (the H series only supports 5200) is a plus, but for that price they could have installed 32x2 right away.

Otherwise, a very boring and at the same time dangerous for the eyes laptop, with a color resolution lower than stated.

With a cropped, non-classic keyboard and a lot of other shortcomings.

It would be interesting to hear the opinion of Lenovo marketers - who was this machine conceived for, who is the target audience?

This is marketed toward creative professionals> I had a gen 5 and even with the thermals, the machine would throttle due to the intel processors and dGPU in such a tiny space. Add to that the lack of decent wide gamut non OLED display options, the absolutely awful keyboard typing experience and horrible battery life, I would never recommend this machine.

I moved over to a custom T14s Gen 3 AMD with an x1 carbon 500nit 4k IPS display coupled with an eGPU (when I need it) and never looked back. Better thermals, better display, better battery life, better typing experience. The P1 series has lots of design issues.

Neenyah

QuoteOnly Optimus 1.0 is supported with no Advanced Optimus or MUX options which is a bit disappointing considering the high-end RTX 4080 GPU.

There is MUX.

Ednumero

Quote from: NikoB on December 08, 2023, 23:36:24with a color resolution lower than stated.
The color resolution is a proper 3840(RGB)x2400. I understand that the matrix looks odd, but if you could put aside any reservations against its shaping and shifting compared to IPS panels, you will be able to see that each pixel is allocated its own independent red, green, and blue dots (actually, two blues per). I have this panel (a non-touch version), and it passes the MS Paint black-background line test at 100% zoom for all three primaries. The PWM, refresh rate, and glossy coating may not be ideal, but there is no funny business going on with its color resolution. It meets the advertised spec.

JRS

The "market" is whoever wants a laptop with the specifications the model offers.  I purchased a P1 G6 because it was the only laptop that offered the following:

- 4K glossy OLED display
- RTX 4090 or RTX 5000 Ada (Laptop) GPU
- HDMI 2.1 port

It gets bonus points for being moderately sized and not having a number pad.  I only wish it had an AMD CPU.

NikoB

Quote from: Bizarro_NikoB on December 08, 2023, 23:58:23This is marketed toward creative professionals
I would like to receive a more precise description - what kind of class is this? What exactly will they do with it?

Quote from: Ednumero on December 09, 2023, 05:57:21I understand that the matrix looks odd, but if you could put aside any reservations against its shaping and shifting compared to IPS panels, you will be able to see that each pixel is allocated its own independent red, green, and blue dots (actually, two blues per).
Unfortunately, looking at the macro photo, I don't see this; I see obvious black holes and a discrepancy between the color resolution and the stated one. There is no 4k, like on IPS.

JRS

Quote from: NikoB on December 09, 2023, 11:31:20Unfortunately, looking at the macro photo, I don't see this; I see obvious black holes and a discrepancy between the color resolution and the stated one. There is no 4k, like on IPS.

This is 4K; each pixel has its own R, G, and 2 B subpixels.  The gaps are due to the different sizes of each subpixel.  The pattern is obvious - each gap defines a group of 4 R, 4 G, and 8 B subpixels.

NikoB

The author of the review should highlight a group of one pixel in the macro photo with a red frame so that this is clear. This is not clear to me from the macro photo. Your explanations do not suit me. I assume that this panel does not correspond to 4k resolution in color.

Enma45

My God, Intel's disastrous performance and to top it all off, this Intel Core i7-13800H without Artificial Intelligence and at excessively high prices for its performance, the only thing worth it is the GeForce RTX 4080. I don't even mention the rest because I think that a cutting-edge Intel processor generation is built at 10nm+++++ and while AMD is already going for 4nm and so that means better performance, less consumption and less heat.

RobertJasiek

JRS

Quote from: NikoB on December 10, 2023, 13:22:37The author of the review should highlight a group of one pixel in the macro photo with a red frame so that this is clear. This is not clear to me from the macro photo. Your explanations do not suit me. I assume that this panel does not correspond to 4k resolution in color.

I've highlighted four pixels, each with their own distinct RGB subpixels.  The same pattern is repeated.

PixelsHighlighted.jpg

NikoB

Even if you're right, black holes clearly result in noticeable dark streaks in light scenes. What the authors of reviews have already noted more than once, i.e. the picture is not identical in monolithicity, the same in resolution of the IPS panel

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview