News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Windows 11 no longer the fastest OS for Alder Lake: Linux 5.16 on Core i9-12900K emerges winner in most benchmarks

Started by Redaktion, February 14, 2022, 11:34:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The latest Linux kernel 5.16 update brings scheduling and hybrid handling improvements that give Linux a significant advantage over Windows 11 in Alder Lake systems. The current Ubuntu 22.04 LTS uses the 5.15 kernel and suffers from performance regressions on Alder Lake as a result.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Windows-11-no-longer-the-fastest-OS-for-Alder-Lake-Linux-5-16-on-Core-i9-12900K-emerges-winner-in-most-benchmarks.598744.0.html

L

"manually update the kernel" - the most Linux thing you can do and one of the causes of such small adoption rates among desktop users. Not bashing on Linux though, it's great for servers.

R5

I think small adoption rate is cause of misconceptions like this and propaganda. You don't have to manually update kernel, in most distributions, including ubuntu and derived systems, the software center will take care of both system and application updates.

L

@R5
I know, but  A LOT of other things need to be done manually even on official distributions or you need to use community packages which you have no idea what they do unless you have a lot of knowledge. This is also speaking from experience with at least 3 big distros with ongoing support so no misconceptions, it's just too hard and tedious to get things running unless you only need an internet browser.

Anonym

Quote from: L on February 14, 2022, 14:37:05
@R5
I know, but  A LOT of other things need to be done manually even on official distributions or you need to use community packages which you have no idea what they do unless you have a lot of knowledge. This is also speaking from experience with at least 3 big distros with ongoing support so no misconceptions, it's just too hard and tedious to get things running unless you only need an internet browser.
That's also why Docker, Snap, and other container-based distribution systems exist and increasingly popular in the enterprise world (more Docker than anything else truthfully).

I must also remark that your argument is very rich especially when in Windows that is exactly the default behavior: you search for an installer from "god knows where" and trust all random 3rd-parties that provide applications are playing fair. All your pains with the distro repositories also happen with Windows Store and similar: limited selection or additional restrictions in the store force you to go and look around for the right app elsewhere. Did that ever stop anyone from using Windows? A big fat NO.

L

@Anonym
Installers from the web can be verified, unless you download custom prepackaged software, just like community packages. It's a lot more manageable and requires a lot less learning to be safe on Windows.

R5

Quote from: L on February 14, 2022, 14:37:05
@R5

Most manual thing you need to do when installing something is to add or enable repository. After that software center will fetch data and allow you to search and install from those third party (community) repositories. I am wiritng this from experience of 2 major distros (Fedora and Ubuntu derived system) , on both of them I had to install programs not available from official repo.

As for "lot of knowledge" , nobody is born with knowledge of Windows, iOS or Android either, maybe, learning some basics (like what repositories and package managers are) isn't too much to ask after all.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview