News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Intel Core i7-1185G7 reference design laptop benchmarks confirm iGPU gains over the AMD Ryzen 7 4800U in a Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 7 but the CPU part still suffers from core count envy

Started by Redaktion, September 20, 2020, 12:07:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Intel's new Tiger Lake Core i7-1185G7 chip has been doing the rounds inside of a reference design laptop, and while the iGPU component of the SoC has had reviewers generally cooing over its ability to play games at acceptable frame rates, it seems the shortage of CPU cores behind rivals such as the AMD Ryzen 7 4800U is still problematic.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i7-1185G7-reference-design-laptop-benchmarks-confirm-iGPU-gains-over-the-AMD-Ryzen-7-4800U-in-a-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Slim-7-but-the-CPU-part-still-suffers-from-core-count-envy.494786.0.html

MHK

Yeah in very optimistic scenario the igpu run blast over vega 8 on yoga slim 7 with 15 watt tdp. Lets see what happened in near equal tdp form factor. But sure in shortburst and specific accelerated tasks the tiger lake is faster. While renoir, has better marketing image with more cores and possibly price cut from amd.

iUser

n75

Why there is no mention of single core performance? Single core performance is much more relevant for a thin and light notebook. 99% of the realistic workloads for such a device will not scale over 4 cores. From other reviews it seems like Intel has a 20 to 30% lead in single core performance.

kek

deksman2

Quote from: kek on September 21, 2020, 00:09:49
glad to see Tiger Lake is tons of times better than Ice Lake.
I guess I'll stick with Intel, then

Tiger Lake has identical IPC to Ice Lake... so its not 'tons of times better'.
The only real reason it has better single core and iGP performance because this Tiger Lake is a 4 core/8 thread chip... meaning, Intel had more headroom to increase the clocks significantly and they had a lot of space to add more iGP cores.

Whether Tiger Lake demonstrates its better remains to be seen in an equalized commercial laptop where OEM's don't allow the CPU to max itself out in the first place.

Plus, Zen 3 is around the corner... so I'm actually unimpressed with this chip overall.
Yes, Intel has more inclusion for AI, but that usage is severely limited... and majority of AI software is not coded to make use of Ryzen uArch nor AMD graphic cards (which are perfectly capable).

_MT_

Quote from: deksman2 on September 21, 2020, 03:56:11
Tiger Lake has identical IPC to Ice Lake... so its not 'tons of times better'.
The only real reason it has better single core and iGP performance because this Tiger Lake is a 4 core/8 thread chip... meaning, Intel had more headroom to increase the clocks significantly and they had a lot of space to add more iGP cores.

Whether Tiger Lake demonstrates its better remains to be seen in an equalized commercial laptop where OEM's don't allow the CPU to max itself out in the first place.

Plus, Zen 3 is around the corner... so I'm actually unimpressed with this chip overall.
Yes, Intel has more inclusion for AI, but that usage is severely limited... and majority of AI software is not coded to make use of Ryzen uArch nor AMD graphic cards (which are perfectly capable).
I don't understand the logic. Ice Lake was also 4C/8T. So, how does it benefit them making Tiger Lake 4C/8T when it means no change? Ice Lake also offered larger GPUs. And I believe Tiger Lake should have 10 % better IPC than Ice Lake. With Intel, gaming benchmarks are interesting because Intel's GPUs were never "gaming grade." Game developers didn't optimize for them and Intel doesn't have drivers optimized for gaming. This is where Nvidia and AMD have an advantage. Although some titles might be optimized as Intel has a ton of money and can pay them to do it so they have something to show.

I vaguely recall that Tiger Lake should have better voltage-frequency curve. Meaning it can reach and sustain higher frequencies within the same thermal envelope. Which means better performance in real world laptops. It also means it consumes less power (produces less heat) at the same frequency running the same load. Ice Lake didn't offer good scaling, it couldn't hit high frequencies (probably because it would take too much power). It was clear that there is a lot of room for improvement. Those chips couldn't really separate themselves from the latest 14 nm production (and were inferior in some respects). Hopefully, they have finally got their 10 nm product where it should have been about three years ago.

heffeque

Quote from: Laurel on September 20, 2020, 15:54:48
15w v 28w 🙄 Intel is in a lot of trouble as soon as Zen3 hits on 7nm+
Isn't it strange that they aren't comparing it to AMD's 25-30W counterpart?

pitrala1

Check polish pretests:
google->purepc i7 1185g7 (cannot post link)

An example laptop, this i7 consumes 60W at first 5 minutes (PL1) and 55-56W after. An "ULV" processor, in fact consume more than many H-series..

m53

Quote from: heffeque on September 21, 2020, 09:49:42

Well, 15W Tiger Lake is comprehensively beating 65W AMD parts in many games. Can't post a link here. But you can google easily. Hot Hardware has a good review. Tiger Lake is beating AMD in all power budget and not by a small margin.

Spunjji

Quote from: m53 on September 22, 2020, 02:32:20
Quote from: heffeque on September 21, 2020, 09:49:42

Well, 15W Tiger Lake is comprehensively beating 65W AMD parts in many games. Can't post a link here. But you can google easily. Hot Hardware has a good review. Tiger Lake is beating AMD in all power budget and not by a small margin.

Trivially disproven comment. Seriously, no idea where you're getting this info from. Tiger Lake and Renoir pretty much duke it from benchmark to benchmark out on the CPU side, and on the GPU side Intel squeezed out a ~15% performance advantage versus a 2-generation-old AMD GPU that occupies 33% less die area. Big whoop.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview