News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Well-known tech YouTuber declares PS5 dead, wants to provide proof by building his own PC for the same price and fails all along the line

Started by Redaktion, March 11, 2024, 16:20:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Snuggl

When I first got into PC gaming, I made tons of compromises. I didn't even get my first brand new GPU until like 2021 (and yeah I paid way too much for it).. I don't know many people in my personal life who are snobby enough to be like, "eeww I don't want USED parts in my PC!".

Typical out of touch author with L takes. I'd be surprised if dude plays anything other than the newest Pokemon games on a Nintendo switch. Btw, try watching the video before trying to write an opinion piece on it. Smh

Cyphi1

I used to play with consoles but switched to PCs a while ago and now I rarely play on consoles. I also have a gaming laptop and ROG with a pretty large library with ultimate Game Pass (PC), Steam and Epic.  Ny back catalog will never get cleared. The exclusives were the only real draw for me on consoles and with most things being available on PC nowadays for me gaming on console doesn't make sense.  But I guess it all depends on where your friends play and what you can afford.
 I love that all my games are accessible anytime. I'd rather potentially pay higher upfront costs and have an access to my library and the added functionality and mods on my PC system than be stuck with an outdated console in 2 years.

vUser

Lol garbage article. Each system has its pros & cons, the PS5s biggest pro being cost for performance which Linus pretty much stated if you watch the video.

Personally, I game on both as well as a Nintendo Switch. I dont spend as much time gaming as I used to; however, I could care less what runs the games I want to play.

AzDoom

Consoles are sold as a loss leader. Business term jargon for they cost more to manufacture than they charge price wise. They do this because they make their money off of the games and associated subscription services. Not sure about Sony but Microsoft puts the manufacturing cost of an Xbox at somewhere north of $700. That would be a more appropriate comparison.

A

I've been building new PCs with 0 new parts better/equal hardware than a console all the way back to the PS3

The key is timing. Here in the US there is always a time you can get a good deal. So if you wait a month or 2 and get parts as they go on sale, building one for cheap is easy.

The death of consoles will have nothing to do with that though. In the first place, the people building custom PCs are not the same people who use consoles. What will kill consoles is more and more stuff moving to the cloud. The real audience of consoles are people who just want to game and don't want to deal with the hassle.

PS For those saying used PC parts are same as used PS5, that isn't true at all. First of all, the warranty on many PC parts tend to be far longer than a PS5 warranty. No, reselling does not void your warranty. And even if a part does fail, you only need to replace 1 part. Where as a failed PS5 is dead. On top of that you can run diagnostics on many PC parts to find if you get a defective part and return it. But for PS5 it is hard to say if there is some niche issue

shyhh

There is nothing wrong getting used PC parts but if he is honest, he should have at least made the comparison against a used PS5. Also there is no mention of input devices, keyboard or controller, which will invariably adds to the bills.

UberChemist

This article is misleading at best. It's fair to include the price of a case and peripherals, but it doesn't need to cost $1000. One could easily spend this much, but the point of the video was budget parts. A serviceable case and keyboard/mouse combo cost about $50 each, new. Windows 11 can be downloaded and used with core functionality for free

The current gen consoles are good value. If one only has $500 to spend, get the PC, because it's useable as is. There are many games that are actually free to play. With a PS5, new games are $70. Older ones are cheaper, but the free tier is much worse compared to PC and there's a monthly fee to play online. Last point, if one's budget is this tight, gaming should be a lower priority and a PC is infinitely more useful for work.

Many people have a work provided laptop and I know I need some time to unwind. A PS5 makes a lot of sense in that situation.

zerokano

I really can't comprehend the author's thought process. His previous articles were about free games and discounted games on steam AND Playstation. His bio is about his first joy getting a PC.

Yet here he is bashing/gatekeeping PC gaming with an article that is misleading at best, full of personal rant at worst. If you want to rant then do that somewhere else without leveraging and staining a media outlet that we, as readers, do trust and respect.

Grow Up

This article was written to get clicks by stating a controversial opinion.

Bish

This article is awful. It completely misses the point and focused on arguing semantics and to call consoles superior in anything other than ease of use is laughable. I've grown up with the latest PlayStation in my home since the 90s, but this time e I said no. I refuse to buy I to an ecosystem that is blatantly already outdated and has to sell itself as "next gen" by offering a gimmick controller that will break after two years. We all know a ps5 pro is coming out this year that will likely be as powerful as the original ps5 should have been. The ONLY thing Sony has over pc is it's exclusives and more and more they are being ported to pc, I really want to play ff7r but not enough to buy that massive ugly monstrosity that sounds like a jet engine.

Laughing Hard Here

The article is pretty good because it does state that Linus was not able to meet the price of a new PS5 without compromises and because it enraged a lot of the commenters. It's funny how we have all these comments on this article and none of them mention that he used an Intel video card.

Also, Sony does not sell the PS5 at a loss

Bobert

99% of the comment section probably has no idea what kind of requirements it takes to run a modern game. Horizon Forbidden West for example is playable at a locked 60 fps at 2k on ps5 for $500. This is not possible to replicate on pc in the slightest. The recommended minimum you for this game cost more than Linus' entire build. We get you love your pc but it cost you much more than a console will.

Angelr

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview