News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Well-known tech YouTuber declares PS5 dead, wants to provide proof by building his own PC for the same price and fails all along the line

Started by Redaktion, March 11, 2024, 16:20:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

George

Well sure, forgetting for the moment that most 'consoles' are sold as "loss leaders" (IE: it costs more to make them then what they are sold for) the assembly of a PC with "RETAIL" parts is ALWAYS going to cost more. :)

However when you consider the ACTUAL wholesale costs and/or the prices of discounted or used hardware the costs of PC gaming drops considerably.

One must factor in the endless MS updates along with non-stop Nvidia/AMD driver updates into how much a royal PITA a 'gaming PC' can be to own and 'maintain' an 'inexpensive' console appears attractive.

PC-Guy

So, just like this article is a printed "reactin" on a Youtuber and not really news, the whole reason LTT exists is to show people these types of scenarios in an entertaining way.  You know, content creation.  What a waste of print...

Pc Gamer

Compromises that pc gamers would not make = buying used hardware?
How out of touch is this author?

The price of new components puts them far above the budget of a large percentage of pc gamers.

Up until my latest computer, all my previous machines were made from used hardware.
They just represent far better value for money and for the most part will last many years with no issues.
Parts become "outdated" far faster than they become unreliable or obsolete.

As for the case and peripherals pushing the budget over $500, it would not take buying mang games before that difference was surpassed given the bloated price that you have to pay for console versions of games.

2scoopsofhate

Well this person clearly doesn't have much experience in either side. Coming from a "console" player (had to use console because of money my whole life) now having a PC I would never go back. Console is full of garbage.

lizon

I wonder why the writer of this article is so dismissive of the used market. As someone who has bought and sold hundreds of PC's on the used market I know just how many "gamers" get their first PC that way. I would say that a good 60-70% of the PC's I sold went to new PC gamers who were switching from console. Building a PC for under $500 that performs the same as the PS5 isn't new. I have been building systems of that caliber for that price range for almost 2 years now. It is quite presumptuous to assume that most "gamers" wouldn't make those compromises. I see them making those compromises every day.

Jakovkid

This article is wrong in so many ways. And doesn't have any grasp on what gamers would "compromise". I also think the writer fails to realize that consoles at 500$ are sold at a LOSS. I have both PC and console and I'm fine with a 500$ PS5. But Linus proves you can hit the same numbers for the same price and btw have a full functioning PC as well.

Logan

My main issue with the video is that it's comparing a used machine versus a new one. A used ps5 from ebay with disk tray runs about $250+s/h. The comparison is moot from the get go. Now if you want to start arguing about the value over the lifespan that might deserve to be looked into. Personally I have a machine from each faction and main the ps5 just cause that's what I do, despite having a pc that blows the others out of the water.

Qyygle

Why is changing bios options 'not an option for most gamers'?
Is the implication that most gamers are too stupid to know to go through their settings and change/update things?

Is that really a mark against the PC, or just a window into the experience of this author?

Badman

I see pc boys are getting mad talking about their used parts pcs:
1) you can't compare the cost of an used PC and a new PS5. See how much pc you can build for $250, the cost of a used PS5. that's the only comparison you can make. You compare new and new, used and used unless you're rigging the comparison.

2) so what if Sony is losing money on the console? What do you care as a gamer? The loss just shows it's impossible to build a new machine with new parts for the same price. Because the components cost money. Why does the gamer care about the Sony loss leader? Seriously I can't understand this argument. It's unfair or something? Immoral? You can't build a new machine with new parts because they cost too much. End of sorry. Morality considerations or fairness don't matter for the price

Sheepgravy

Linus kind of sucks. I don't really trust him and that's on me for being skeptical of almost everyone and thing.

I don't get it. Just buy what you want to play the games you want on. Sometimes I wish I was a kid again with my NES. The joy and excitement of saving up and buying my SNES - those moments were magic.

I loved MMOs early days too. Ultima online, Evercrack, even WoW. I wouldn't go back to one now - just seeing how some people get about WoW is insane.

TechIt

Imagine creating a hit-piece based on a video you never even watched. He even said at the end of the video that the PS5 is still the better option when it comes to price to performance. He never said it was dead.

Shawn

Don't people just get both? Like yeah, there's stuff you need pc for. But I also have the consoles. It's not like they are that exspensive.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview