News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Miss the old ThinkPads? Consider an Elitebook

Started by Redaktion, April 13, 2020, 23:25:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Loki Rautio

Quote from: yfnew on April 14, 2020, 02:50:47
First of all, the title of this article is misleading. It should have "Opinion:" in its title, as most parts of this article are based on the author's opinion. I think the title should also be "Considering an alternative to modern ThinkPads? Try Elitebook" instead of what it has right now, as the article itself does not compare modern Elitebook with classic ThinkPad at all. [..]

Then it comes to the discussion of charging ports. This is the first and only article I have seen that prefers a dedicated DC charging port than USB PD, with the only reason that USB-C charging port is more likely to fail. While the USB-C issue with recent ThinkPad is real, there is no evidence that USB-C charging ports in general are more likely to fail than DC charging port. [...]

Other sections in this article do not show how Elitebook is "better" than a modern ThinkPad, with the only exception that Elitebook still has 2 RAM slots and upgradable M.2 slot for WiFi. Mostly, the article only shows that an Elitebook is a valid alternative option. [...]
Hi, and thanks for the feedback.

Regarding calling this an "opinion" piece: I don't think that'd be terribly accurate. Really, all I'm doing is comparing the current ThinkPads and EliteBooks in the context of a modern business laptop, not just a run-of-the-mill consumer laptop. It might seem like I'm just interjecting opinions as to what matters or not if you're not considering that, but what matters in a business machine is a lot different than an XPS. I'm sure you know that though.

Edit: After looking at the article on a different day, I do agree that this piece is certainly much more opinionated than I had originally thought while writing it. This has since corrected by marking this article as an opinion. I care a lot about being accurate and portraying my content as accurately as possible, so I am quite sorry about this.

I do understand the concerns over the title, but I do make it fairly clear in the abstract and beginning of the article (at least I think I am) that we're not talking about used or last-generation devices. I will consider adjusting the title to be a bit more clear though.

Regarding USB-PD vs barrels, I'm not saying that a DC port is "preferred" exactly. Again, as mentioned in the article, the benefit is repairability more than anything else. The focus of a business laptop is minimizing downtime as much as possible with reliable or easy to swap wear components. Charging ports would be considered a wear component. Since USB-PD ports typically aren't easy to be replaced, that's why DC charging ports are a necessity for serious business laptops. USB-PD is very useful as well though and should be included. USB-C durability is a whole rabbit hole which deserves its own article, assuming I make any good findings in the first place.

When it comes to the elitebook being a better option, the point of this article isn't to convince you, the point is to just introduce the idea to you. They certainly aren't worth writing off, like you mentioned in your own comment.

Thanks again for the feedback.

A

Quote from: Loki Rautio on April 14, 2020, 03:10:59
Again, the main point isn't that the barrel ITSELF is more durable. Arguably it is since it's a more simple design, but that's a whole rabbit hole. Regardless, the point is that it increases the device's longevity and overall durability having two entire different charging circuits and methods. Plus, as mentioned, barrel charging connectors are often on socketed cables, not soldered. If the barrel connector becomes damaged, it's a cheap repair.

So yeah, main point is that your device will be more repairable, and as a result it'll have a longer potential lifespan and be more "durable."

Regarding USB-PD vs barrels, I'm not saying that a DC port is "preferred" exactly. Again, as mentioned in the article, the benefit is repairability more than anything else. The focus of a business laptop is minimizing downtime as much as possible with reliable or easy to swap wear components. Charging ports would be considered a wear component. Since USB-PD ports typically aren't easy to be replaced, that's why DC charging ports are a necessity for serious business laptops. USB-PD is very useful as well though and should be included. USB-C durability is a whole rabbit hole which deserves its own article, assuming I make any good findings in the first place.

I've seen barrel connectors slotted and I've seen them soldered, I haven't gotten to replacing any of my ports so I haven't seen that part of the assembly myself, but when I looked at disassembly videos, I am pretty sure I remember elitebooks solder the barrel charge port (My previous Toshiba had a socketed one). There is also nothing stopping manufacturers from making socketed usb-c charge ports, it is simply a matter of design.

On the other reply, unless you stock your own components in-house, the cost of repair and time to repair is virtually the same. The reason in many workbooks come with on-site warranty either by default or an extra option. When I bought mine, it came with a 4 year on-site warranty. If it was a manual service component like keyboard, battery or etc, they just shipped me the part next day delivery. If it was something more like replacement of the screen, a technician came as it wasn't a serviceable part. The power port is definitely not a serviceable part. And they won't even bother soldering it, they would just replace either the motherboard or the daughter board (if the usb are on a separate board)

I would imagine in-house would do the same, then try to refurbish the component on their own time.

Now once you are out of warranty, that might become an issue but by then you are likely to replace the laptop anyways.

This is definitely an opinion piece, and the title is most certainly misleading. Modern Elitebooks are not an alternative to "old" ThinkPads.

QuoteLenovo's competitors are putting out arguably better business machines than the current ThinkPad lineup [..] HP's EliteBooks might be the best option for displaced fans.

This is an opinion.

QuoteIt's no secret to anyone that Lenovo has been cutting features from their recent ThinkPads, more notably in the "legendary" T-series.
[..]
in the T490, they cut Power Bridge (the technology and external batteries) too.

However, other companies have been working hard on their business machines. HP's 2018 redesign with the EliteBook 840 G5 was a legitimate improvement over the G4.

So, the lack of powerbridge is a negative for the T490, but perfectly fine for the Elitebook? How is this not an opinion?

QuoteRealistically speaking, most businesses are only going to be using that USB-C port for a single Thunderbolt 3 dock that can handle charging, among other things.

That's a valid point, you might only ever use one of those ports, but what if the USB-C charging was to fail?

Now, if we're going to start making such assumptions, the entire DC jack vs USB C charging debate is moot. From an enterprise point of view, it doesn't matter, USB C port failure is no different from DC jack failure, as has been already pointed out.

QuoteMicroSD Reader

The Elitebook does not have one.

QuoteA redundant power connector is arguably more important anyway. HP has also opted to keep its docking connector over time while Lenovo removed theirs back in 2018.

Both systems have a side docking connector, I don't see the difference here.

QuoteClearly, the power limit here is set much lower than it would otherwise need to be. With the right skills with using Throttlestop, one could likely get this machine running much faster (and a fair bit hotter) than it currently is.

This simply won't work on an Elitebook. Do note that even undervolting is not possible on these machines.

QuoteThe latest ThinkPads and EliteBooks feature very similar input devices. How comfortable the EliteBook's keyboard is would be a matter of personal opinion, but these machines aren't known for having "bad" keyboards exactly. Both devices also include a pointing stick of some sort in the middle of the keyboard.

The two have very different keyboards. Moreover, the touchstyk on the Elitebook does not allow for scrolling due to the absence of the middle button.

More upgradability is a indeed a plus on the Elitebook.

Elitebooks are reliable enterprise notebooks and definitely belong to the same class of notebooks as Latitudes and ThinkPads. This article tries a fair bit to convince the reader that Elitebooks are somehow better than ThinkPads, which is an opinion, and arguably a misleading one.

This is definitely an opinion piece, and the title is most certainly misleading. Modern Elitebooks are not an alternative to "old" ThinkPads.

QuoteLenovo's competitors are putting out arguably better business machines than the current ThinkPad lineup [..] HP's EliteBooks might be the best option for displaced fans.

This is an opinion.

QuoteIt's no secret to anyone that Lenovo has been cutting features from their recent ThinkPads, more notably in the "legendary" T-series.
[..]
in the T490, they cut Power Bridge (the technology and external batteries) too.

However, other companies have been working hard on their business machines. HP's 2018 redesign with the EliteBook 840 G5 was a legitimate improvement over the G4.

So, the lack of powerbridge is a negative for the T490, but perfectly fine for the Elitebook? How is this not an opinion?

QuoteRealistically speaking, most businesses are only going to be using that USB-C port for a single Thunderbolt 3 dock that can handle charging, among other things.

That's a valid point, you might only ever use one of those ports, but what if the USB-C charging was to fail?

Now, if we're going to start making such assumptions, the entire DC jack vs USB C charging debate is moot. From an enterprise point of view, it doesn't matter, USB C port failure is no different from DC jack failure, as has been already pointed out.

QuoteMicroSD Reader

The Elitebook does not have one.

QuoteA redundant power connector is arguably more important anyway. HP has also opted to keep its docking connector over time while Lenovo removed theirs back in 2018.

Both systems have a side docking connector, I don't see the difference here.

QuoteClearly, the power limit here is set much lower than it would otherwise need to be. With the right skills with using Throttlestop, one could likely get this machine running much faster (and a fair bit hotter) than it currently is.

This simply won't work on an Elitebook. Do note that even undervolting is not possible on these machines.

QuoteThe latest ThinkPads and EliteBooks feature very similar input devices. How comfortable the EliteBook's keyboard is would be a matter of personal opinion, but these machines aren't known for having "bad" keyboards exactly. Both devices also include a pointing stick of some sort in the middle of the keyboard.

The two have very different keyboards. Moreover, the touchstyk on the Elitebook does not allow for scrolling due to the absence of the middle button.

More upgradability is a indeed a plus on the Elitebook.

Elitebooks are reliable enterprise notebooks and definitely belong to the same class of notebooks as Latitudes and ThinkPads. This article tries a fair bit to convince the reader that Elitebooks are somehow better than ThinkPads, which is an opinion, and arguably a misleading one.

A

Quote from: 127.0.0.1 on April 14, 2020, 03:47:47

To be honest, I'm not even sure why this is brought up. The loss of removable batteries is more of an issue then loss of powerbridge. The powerbridge is really obsolete since it served only 2 purposes:

1) Lets you make your heavy thinkpad lighter by bringing a smaller battery = these days laptops are fairly light and you can get more battery life by more compact batteries

2) Hotswap = you can hotswap most laptops as long as you are plugged in,, now of course that would be pointless, but not with USB-PD. Before if you had an external laptop battery, that thing would need AC to DC and DC to AC conversion built in making it a bulky mess. With introduction of USB-PD, you can charge the battery on same charger as your laptop and you can do straight dc to dc. Of course this becomes pointless now that batteries aren't removable.

So yes, this isn't a negative to either thinkpads nor elitebooks, its simply old tech that serves little benefit anymore.

Elitebooks have better keyboards ;), of course that is an opinion but never liked the small arrow keys and poor placement of page up and down.

That said, you can actually do scrolling with pointstick. There are custom scripts for both windows and linux out there that place the scroll on right click mouse down. The right click menu opens on mouse up, so if you use the pointstick as right button is clicked, it will supress the right click menu and let you scroll.

Nimio

Wow Loki I have never read such a an unqualified article. Sponsored by HP and clearly not not notebookcheck worthy. But probably notebookcheck will become a sponsored review side......

Mahdi 2002 pss

First of all, I'm NOT an HP agent!
I have too many laptops in the last 15 years, Dell precision, Dell latitude, Dell XPS, Asus rog, Dell Alienware, Hp zbook, Lenovo Yoga, surface pros, surface book, and..., but there are always an ELITEBOOK beside them at least for the last decade! Believe me, there are outstanding! Firstly I have an Elite book 840g1 and I was impressed with its durability and stability, after 3 years of massive 24/7 use, I changed it for Elitebook 840g3, and after some years, right now I throw all of my laptops and buy two Elitebooks and love them, Elitebook 1050g1 and Elitebook x3601030g3.
First reason is that they are durable and well designed, personally, I never enticed to buy a Thinkpad cause their ugly design even when they were better machines, besides classic and very bad displays of Dell Latitudes give me away of them, In my opinion HP and DELL company are the most complete lineup, and never see a series better than ELITEBOOKS, my only complane is their high prices.
Second, HP offers a compkete pack of softwares (sure click, sure start,... ) and they are not bloatwares! Especially they are desinged for some elitebooks series.
Thired,I really like their upgradeability, just take a look at Elitebook 840g3, in 2016 it supports DDR4 rams and enen more interesting NVMe ssds! Even the model of 2014 (840g1) considered an M.2 slote for 2242 sata ssd! Amazing.
One thing that I want to mention is that the HP was the first company that cut down Undervolt in their devices and especially on Elitebooks series, and when I counter whit its locked bios in this area I really disappointed and after that I understand it is necessary! just google "Plundervolt", I appreciate them for that, they were pioneer. In the future we will see more and more company do that at least for some business class of notebooks.
Moreover, when I checked more recent models of elitebooks like 1030g3, 1013g3, 1050g1 and 1040g5 I discoverd how they are sensetive on cpu heat and after low limit like 60~65 degree they prepare to cut down cpu frequency and because of that you can see their Cinbench scores is lower that Thinkpads, it really lead to more durability in terms of cpu and overall system board.
Another thing that I really like about business class of Elitebooks and even ultrabooks, is their low fan noise, my 1030g3 has two little fans and even when both of them spins at 4000+ rpm I never hear them.
Besides, consider privacy option named "sure view" + 700 to 1000nit display options is innovation in this line up, my 1030g3 display is mate 700 nit display + sure view, it's great! Consider writing on a mate screen, it's like you are writing on a piece of paper! Even more, hp active pen gen 2 is unbelievable, its redial menu is fantastic.
The last featur that I love is complete security features of some Elitebooks, consider sure run, finger print, face ID, and recently two enjoiable option like physical camera shutter close on/off and enjoyable hardware privacy on G6 series of Elitebook 840, ALL in one device! What will be better!?
All in all, for a long time before I read your article, I believed in this devices, and I think we will be able to see them even better on the near future, just refer to your top ten lists and see that:
>> the best 2 in 1 or convertible is an Elitebook (1040 g5)
>> the best 13" tablet is an elitebook (1013 g3)
>> the best 13.3" convertible is an elitebook (x360 1030 g3 and recently x360 1030 g4 and Dragonfly)
And in my opinion, 1050g1 is one of the best multimedia laptops in the world, just an amazing 4k screen enough for that.
Zbooks are not Elitebooks, they are better in some therms and I don't like to mention how good these workstation are!

Thx for reading.

MCHammer

Jake Mort

Very uncharacteristic of Notebookcheck to allow articles of this kind on their website.

The article seems to conveniently forget that the 840 G6 is not representative of the entire Elitebook series, or perhaps they aren't familiar with x360 variants. The Elitebook x360 convertibles have no docking port at all.

Not only that, the 840 G6 does not have a micro SD card reader, unlike what this article states.

After being called out about this being an opinion piece by others, the clarification serves little purpose, except reinforce the "opinion" aspect of this article.

This is really poor journalism, and unbecoming of an otherwise high quality website.

nycan

more durable? lol we'll talk when the elite book has drainage holes like the t490

trash article

A

Quote from: nycan on April 14, 2020, 07:42:58
more durable? lol we'll talk when the elite book has drainage holes like the t490

trash article

Uhm, Elitebooks do have drain holes... That's something pretty standard in many business laptops.

nycan

Quote from: A on April 14, 2020, 07:54:27

Uhm, Elitebooks do have drain holes... That's something pretty standard in many business laptops.

nope. i have work issued elite book 840 g6 and 755 g5, neither has any drain holes. please check the manual if u don't believe me.

Ac

Nope... as an user of both new Thinkpads and Elitebooks I have to say HP is still as s*** as always. No serviceability, replacement parts are hard to get, bloated as f... and loud.

YES, really

Imagine still buying a Thinkpad post 2018. Wouldn't be me.

Also to the nutcase that mentioned serviceability, LOL.

_MT_

Quote from: 127.0.0.1 on April 14, 2020, 03:47:47
Moreover, the touchstyk on the Elitebook does not allow for scrolling due to the absence of the middle button.
I don't think Latitudes ever had a middle button, at least in the last 15 years, and you could still scroll just fine - just press both and it performs middle button click (activates scrolling mode, opens a link in a new tab, whatever). If it's configured that way, of course. Courtesy of drivers. Personally, I don't like scrolling using cursor. For me, middle button is all about tabs.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview