News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

HP Omen 17 (2022) gaming laptop in review: Stylish case and hardware with lots of potential

Started by Redaktion, September 23, 2022, 12:14:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

is not the case with the HP Omen 17. The gaming laptop fully utilizes its potential regarding the TDP and TGP of the Intel Core i7 12700H and the Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 Ti. But gamers can also do things differently: if energy-saving settings are set correctly, the energy-hungry gamer becomes a meek, lamb-like laptop with a useful battery life.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Omen-17-2022-gaming-laptop-in-review-Stylish-case-and-hardware-with-lots-of-potential.655813.0.html

RIBA

Is this paid review or what? I had this laptop, with i7 11800 and 140W rtx 3070 as well as same sreen FHD 144 hz and boy o boy you are in for a surprise:

The display has week hinges, has yellow tint and poor response times. HDMI only 2.0 (on their page 2.1) so you have to use type C (the only one) for display. Power brick is the biggest I have witnessed in my life and as you said, the laptop doesn't even draw that mutch power. It is only balanced and performance mode, no silent option. GPU is limited to 115W on balanced, can reach full power only in performance, but this power profile maxes out the fans and is annoying through headphones. Bugs with switchable graphics, no advanced BIOS options like on Asus, MSI or Lenovo, HP OMen app required for changing keyboard brightness uses 1GB of RAM. Support page with drivers doesn't exist, speakers suck and are worse than smartphone, CPU is reaching 100 degrees even when undervolted in balanced profiles and while laptop is on the big stand. How is this possible considering massive cooling unit and vents on the back is a mystery to me. Avoid if possible.
I returned it, bought Legion 5 that at silent profile benchmarks higher than this laptop in performance.

NikoB

Quote from: RIBA on September 23, 2022, 12:47:23HDMI only 2.0 (on their page 2.1) so you have to use type C (the only one) for display.
Tell more, what are the problems? Have you tried connecting a 4K monitor with HDR or above 60Hz? If there is no HDMI 2.1, then this is pure fraud from HP's marketers, but if you don't read the conclusions, but just look at the review, everything is clear right away with this craft.

In general, as I already wrote about the Omen series earlier - after 2018, when they ruined an excellent case and good keyboard, interest in the series faded completely. It is impossible to use it as a universal solution for business and entertainment - there is no numpad, well, everything else is below all criticism...poor screen quality (not flicker free and low contrast/colorspace/resolution), noise in office load/surfing, bad memory tuning in bios and etc...this series is bought today by the most incompetent and naive consumers...

LL

Cons do not list the biggest issues. Likes serious latency issues and
here is a 17" chassis so with space for a proper cooling system that has a 12700H cpu that is not even pushed to 2021 values of last generation CPU's. There are  Intel 11800H and 5800H AMD with much better performing values in other laptops.
3070i limited to 135w so roughly at 3060 level.

Thanks for Blender GPU benchmark.

SyCoREAPER

Quote from: NikoB on September 23, 2022, 16:54:42
Quote from: RIBA on September 23, 2022, 12:47:23HDMI only 2.0 (on their page 2.1) so you have to use type C (the only one) for display.
Tell more, what are the problems? Have you tried connecting a 4K monitor with HDR or above 60Hz? If there is no HDMI 2.1, then this is pure fraud from HP's marketers, but if you don't read the conclusions, but just look at the review, everything is clear right away with this craft.

In general, as I already wrote about the Omen series earlier - after 2018, when they ruined an excellent case and good keyboard, interest in the series faded completely. It is impossible to use it as a universal solution for business and entertainment - there is no numpad, well, everything else is below all criticism...poor screen quality (not flicker free and low contrast/colorspace/resolution), noise in office load/surfing, bad memory tuning in bios and etc...this series is bought today by the most incompetent and naive consumers...

It's not fraud. It's manufacturers taking advantage of HDMI.org's idiotic decision

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/hdmi-2-0-relabeled-as-hdmi-2-1

Euphrates

I had a 2018 OMEN 17 with 8th gen intel and GTX 1060, not a bad machine but the fans would always start spinning even when doing nothing.

I like the new design, and at least now there is some sort of fan control with power profiles?

The absence of numpad on a 17" laptop is questionable though :[ not ideal for home office use imo.

Dee

Quote from: RIBA on September 23, 2022, 12:47:23The display has week hinges, has yellow tint and poor response times.

While I'll take your word for the rest of the issues, this "yellow tint" is actually technically a feature that they bury in the item description. It's an anti blue light filter and it comes default "on" from the factory. Wonder if it can be turned off in software like how one can turn it on/off on most modern smartphones or if it's actually baked into the screen hardware.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview