News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Laptop for photo editing: Dell XPS 15 9560 or Schenker Media 15?

Started by DASPOOT, November 23, 2017, 10:25:26

Previous topic - Next topic

DASPOOT

Hi,

I'm german, writing this article in english to possibly reach more people with my post. This might be important because the available XPS 15 configurations in germany differ from them in the US as far as I know.

I'm currently searching for a Laptop for photo editing (primary Lightroom), University,... Currently I own a Schenker BS516 with an i7 4710MQ. This Processor is very nice, the problem is that I only have Intel HD graphics. So Lightroom previews,... are very slow although processor and RAM are by far not at 100% usage. Also I use a nextcloud which I synchronize with my PC, Laptop, so my Laptop needs at least 1TB, better 2TB of space. Best SSD/HDD configuration would be 256GB SSD/2TB HDD.

After a long time of searching this forum and google I found Dell XPS 15 9560 with i7 7700hq, 8gb ram, 56wh battery (http://www.dell.com/de-de/shop/dell-notebooks/xps-15/spd/xps-15-9560-laptop/cnx95602) and Schenker Media 15 (https://www.mysn.de/schenker-multimedia-laptops/schenker-media15) suiting best for my needs. But there are a few questions I didn't find answers, so maybe some of you do have experiences with one of the Laptops.

1.: How about installing an extra HDD in the Dell? Since it has the smaller battery, I think, this should be possible. But I didn't find a clear yes. I called the Dell distribution, they said, for me, it's not possible. Eventually their support can do that, but still no verification that it is possible. So can I myself add an HDD? Do I lose guarantee? How abaout the speed?(I read that it might not be very fast because the ssd needs the complete bandwith)

2.: Does anyone have experience with the Schenker's display (LG LP156WF6-SPB1)? I read a few tests about laptops with the same display. It seems to me that the display is not very good and doesn't cover much of sRGB.

3.: Not so important: Is it possible to later replace the 56wh battery with the 97wh one? (Of course the 2,5" slot then will be used by the battery)

Or maybe there is a better Laptop for my needs? A summary of my requirements:
- no weaker processor than the i7 4710mq
- good battery life (the schenker has 4-5h, that's the minimum, more would be better)
- enough space for my cloud (m.2 ssd +2,5" or maybe two m.2 slots? Than I could install one 256gb and one 1TB SSD. Should be enough for a while and I can upgrade the storage ssd when they maybe are a bit cheaper)
- dedicated graphics card (gtx 1050 or mx150 or something similar)
- good and clour-accurate display
- 8-16GB RAM (8 is enough if I can upgrade it later)
- not too heavy (current laptop weighs 2,5kg, this is the approximately the max)

Maybe a weaker hardware configuration than I have chosen would be enough. But I don't want Lightroom, Premiere,... to be as slow as it is now. The current editing fun is very limited with relatively long render times for the previews in Lightroom or Premiere.

Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview