News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Dell G7 15 (i7-8750H, GTX 1060 Max-Q) Laptop Review

Started by Redaktion, August 04, 2018, 20:22:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

New name, same value. Dell's latest entry into the budget gaming market changes branding but keeps the value. Does the new G7 offer as much bang-for-the-buck as the uber-popular Inspiron 15 7577? Find out in our comprehensive review.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-G7-15-i7-8750H-GTX-1060-Max-Q-Laptop-Review.317686.0.html

Jason yue

Isn't the processor from the coffee lake family? There are places where you are mentioning the unreleased cannon lake family

Bob

Is there room for another SSD in this config or do you have to replace the current one? And would it be a paint to swap(transfer all the data) later down the road, if necessary?

Sam Medley

Review author here.

@Jason Yue - Thanks for the catch. Yes, the processor is part of the Coffee Lake family, not Cannon Lake. The article has been updated.

@Bob - There is only room for an M.2 drive and a 2.5 SATA drive. That's all you get. As far as transferring data, that depends on how comfortable you are with file transfers. There are some pretty decent file transfer tools to move everything onto a new hard drive, but that would be via software. It's not too hard. Google will be your friend here.

John Smith

Any further insights why is the battery life so good, despite having the battery of only 56Whrs (when compared with 64Wh or 70Wh of Asus and HP, respectively)? As you claim, the new CPU uses more power than the last gen, and with same 1060s it should at least be on par with 64/70Whr laptops, if not worse.

i want to see CPU Package Power in the Stress Test plz
CPU Package Power plz
CPU Package Power plz
CPU Package Power plz
Stress Test is meaningless if you don't show CPU Package Power

NikoB

Guilherme Basso

Is there a way to share your calibration settings? I'm using my G7 and definitely could use an improvement on colors.

Strange

How come average keyboards receive a grade of 83% (4/5)?

I think this 100 point grading system is not that effective if no laptop - no matter how appalling their keyboards, they never get anything lower than 80%.

This means even a garbage, cancer-inducing keyboard still received an ok rating.

Paul117

is the power comsumption calculated while plugged in ? because it say 90W per hour, thats mean with the 54 Wh battery, it only gonna last 54/90 = 0.6 hour=36 min. these battery stuff blow my brain so any explain will be very appreciated

John Smith

IMO, by the content of the review (bad sRGB, very dim screen, i7-8750H not performing at 1100 as expected, questions about battery in the comments, etc) suggests a much lower overall score. Maybe the author is dell-biased?

Anyway, agree that the grading system should be revisited.

Myrion

I want to see a mid-range performance laptop that focuses on 2 things: screen (350 nits, 1000:1 contrast, 100% sRGB, fast response) and battery (80+ Wh) with [i5/1050] to [i7/1060] for maximum $1,200. Without OEMs squandering resources on all the "thinner, lighter", "gamer aesthetics", and "RGB everything", it should be perfectly doable.

Btw no clue how you got 7.5 hours of battery life when majority of users have been reporting around 3-4. 7.5 is what I got with Gigabyte Aero 15W v7 (similar specs) which has nearly twice the Dell's battery. Indicating either this particular case was an anomaly or there is a sizeable flaw in your estimations.

H.A

Hi
The starting weight of G7 on Dell website is 2.86 kg and 2.6 kg for G5. In your review you are showing G7 is lighter than G5
Could you explain

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview