News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Asus ROG Strix Scar 18 (2024) review: Gaming laptop with RTX 4090 and mini-LED panel

Started by Redaktion, February 08, 2024, 18:12:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Scar 18 is currently one of the most powerful laptops. The Core i9-14900HX and GeForce RTX 4090 enable 4k gaming, video processing, and rendering. The bright and vibrant mini-LED display (18 inch, 2560x1600 pixel) is a feast for the eyes.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ROG-Strix-Scar-18-2024-review-Gaming-laptop-with-RTX-4090-and-mini-LED-panel.801312.0.html

NikoB

It's very sad to see a year later that Asus management has learned nothing from my comments (and confirmed by the owners of these series):
1. Again, the stupid screen is 2.5k, not 4k@144Hz with high ppi for text, which automatically excludes cleat text as on smartphones in office/surfing and a clear 4k/fhd picture in movies/videos and in games in fhd mode. In passing, I note that the author of the review did not check the real native contrast of the panel with single-zone backlighting.
2. Idiotically damaged keyboard - damaged numpad, compared to the 17.3" series on AMD (compare for yourself). Moreover, F1..F12 are not have backlit, as in the old 2023 series.
3. Idiot port layout. Especially the power socket, which, as in the 2023 model, covers the exhaust on the left with a power cord. Why isn't the power socket in the back, Asus?
4. Again, the temperature of the keyboard is increased, which can, if the screen cover is closed, lead to the failure (50C is critical temp for this panels) of the screen panel under load when playing on an external monitor.

The processor is monstrously weak for such a price - why not the king of cpu laptops - AMD R9 7945HX, which is much faster and also consumes significantly less?

Again, noise even under office load and increased consumption at idle.

The author himself wrote about other obvious epic failures - like a shameful antique camera from the early 2000s and this for a price of $5000!!! Look to the newest HP Pavilion review on NB- there is a 5MP camera! It costs 4 times cheaper! This is a shame for the Asus development department.

Plastic case for $5000 - are you serious????!!! There should be a molded metal case with thermal pads for the SSD on this case. RAID0/1 is useless for this price need 4xM.2 2280. Although gamers do not require reliability...

Who will buy it in 2024? Question of the day and year...

LL

Praise for the screen with DCI-P3 and for the size 18" in 16:10 config.

Giant disappointment for the Intel 14 series CPU, no performance improvement whatsoever over 13 series.

Performance in GPU is bellow expected for a 4090.

Manufacturers, Asus included continue to not understand that GPU is more important than CPU, so why they continue to be inflexible with CPU models forcing high end CPU's always and not give the option of medium to high models?

CPU is even what builds more heat in a laptop even if it consumes less than a GPU - GPU bigger area is beneficial towards temperatures.
Why this model is not available with a 14700?

I could have been a buyer, but not with a useless for me "top" CPU.

ascas

Love people trying to discuss hardware they can't afford or not going to buy.

Reality check: Steam hardware statistics Jan 2024, 4090 laptops, <0.15%

lmao

Quote from: RobertJasiek on February 09, 2024, 13:16:31Uh, but 4090 is not always used for Steam...
lmao yeah much like every other gpu so final % numbers are the same lol
next time just don't write anything until you thought it through

you low quality commenters just have to argue with any reasonable comment here

LL

I certainly don't buy RTX cards and expensive laptops to game play, but to render and 3D visualization.

There is a market outside gaming.

RobertJasiek

The point about top cards is that a much higher percentage is used for professional / prosumer use rather than online entertainment. Therefore, statistics such as Steam do not represent reality.

Sales numbers have 4090 significantly higher than Steam suggest.

End of high quality comment.

NikoB

In fact, the Chinese are now buying up all the 4090 they can get their hands on in order to solder them into cards for data centers with neural networks. Therefore, most cards are never reflected in game networks at all; they will never be there. They will die quietly in the data centers or then these used chips, as once after mining they pop up on Ali and other marketplaces as part of the "new" cards into which they are soldered in order to sell this already defective or close to the end of the resource, garbage, to fools on marketplaces without any guarantee of return...

And buying such a "gaming" laptop has always been a crazy idea, compared to assembling a desktop for less money, quieter and faster, and with an easy upgrade of everything possible. But they don't count money in other people's pockets. Since there are those who are willing to pay, there will be a market same laptops for such buyers.

NikoB

In general, if you think about it, "gaming" laptops should have an easily replaceable high-quality keyboard with a long travel and elastic tactile feedback. This is a consumable. It should be easy to replace by the owner, like in the old Thinkpad T series, where it is attached with one bolt and changed in a couple of minutes. And what we see in practice is that keyboards from the "gaming" series are extremely unreliable when used intensively in games.

Again, this is only talking about one thing - manufacturing companies are NOT interested in extending the life of even expensive lines - they need the buyer to come for a new laptop as soon as possible or contact a service center for expensive repairs.

The funny thing is, I read in the press that now in the EU they are trying to pass a law according to which the warranty will be extended by 1 year after the product is repaired. And in my country, for 30 years already, the warranty after repair begins to flow again, like a penalty against the manufacturer. True, this scheme still does not work, for a simple reason - all these 30 years, manufacturers, through the fault of legislators (parliamentarians own large importers into the country), who did not make legal accreditation of foreign manufacturers in the country mandatory, are simply washing their hands of being absent from the country legal so that they can be sued directly and also the liability evasion scheme works in most countries. And all the burden is borne by sellers (or importers), who simply inflate prices to take into account all these risks, because... They can rarely extract money from manufacturers for an increased level of defects through regressive claims.

It will be approximately the same in the EU - changes in legislation from 2024 will simply lead to an increase in prices for electronics, because... The consumers themselves will pay for the extra year of warranty after repairs. Although this will make the market more civilized in general, manufacturers will still be oligopolistic and behind-the-scenes agreements to counteract the ability of buyers to cheaply repair and extend the life of goods. Otherwise, where will they get their profits? It will simply be that more and more blatant and criminal schemes for the artificial aging of goods will be introduced by a certain date.

bennyg1

"CPU and GPU regularly underperform direct rivals by over 10%" is not worthy of a negative against this model?

Thanks Asus for yet again confirming why you're at the bottom of my personal brand preference list. Impressive screen; as for the other positive - I'm not sure how valuable buyers will find the long idle/low load runtime for this behemoth laptop size class.

Chris behnken

The battery life on this is completely unrealistic. How are you getting longer run times than the battery capacity divided by the minimum idle power use?? 10 hrs reader or whatever you call it means the battery must be 140 watt hours instead of 90??

I have the previous model with the 13980hx and a 4080 and I am extremely lucky to get 4 hrs of use. 3 is more realistic and forget gaming on battery.

Mine basically just moves from dock to dock, so I do not care, but your battery life figures in no one represent an actually system in any kind of use. I can get 14 mwh if the brightness is 20 percent and its literally just sitting looking at the desktop, but who uses a computer this way. Any use at idle uses about 30 mwh, so 3 hrs of use with a fresh battery.

Neenyah

Quote from: Chris behnken on February 11, 2024, 18:55:02The battery life on this is completely unrealistic. How are you getting longer run times than the battery capacity divided by the minimum idle power use?? 10 hrs reader or whatever you call it means the battery must be 140 watt hours instead of 90??
They measured idle power consumption when plugged in, for some reason. This laptop in idle on battery is around 5-9 W according to other reviews.

Mo23

(1) Stress test : high temperature causes unstable frequency and performance (Game lag)
(2) Case temperature very high
(3) Only 2 SSDs / 2 DDR5 in 18-inch case (Large size and few specifications)
(3) No CardReader / Low pixels webcam / Low spec high price

lmao

Quote from: Neenyah on February 11, 2024, 18:58:26This laptop in idle on battery is around 5-9 W according to other reviews.
5w with 18 inch miniled... maybe somewhere in alternate universe.
in this review they've achieved around 9w idle on 'min brightness' aka unusable brightness + wifi/bt off + powersave mode aka cut down performance.

QuoteMaximum runtime: the "Reader's" test of the Battery Eater tool is used to measure the maximum runtime of the test model. The brightness is set to minimum and all power-saving options are turned on. The Windows power plan is set to "Power Saver" and WLAN and Bluetooth are switched off.
www.notebookcheck.net/Our-Test-Criteria.15394.0.html

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview