News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Nvidia has been quietly shipping slower GeForce MX150 '1D12' variant on some Ultrabooks

Started by Redaktion, March 19, 2018, 23:53:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Be on the lookout for notebooks shipping with the MX150 'N17S-LG-A1' or '1D12' variant as GPU performance can be 20 to 25 percent slower than a "standard" MX150. The '1D12' label is essentially the Max-Q version of the MX150 and Nvidia has not been explicitly distinguishing between the two distinct MX150 versions in any of its promotional material thus far.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidia-has-been-quietly-shipping-slower-GeForce-MX150-1D12-variant-on-some-Ultrabooks.289358.0.html

Damian

Valantar

So, in other words, there's one MX150 variant that clearly beats AMD's newest APUs, and one that ties or loses to them (at least in 3DMark 11). That's pretty significant, especially considering the slower MX150 with a 15W CPU has the same thermal envelope as the best Ryzen 2500U and 2700U notebooks.

Wepo

Haven't liked this company for a while.  Nvidia seems to be screaming: once you are on top, you go bad.

bernhard1797

JamesH

Nvidia should have come up with two different GPU models. Like say an MX140 and MX150. Or MX150E for efficient or MX150P for power. Then they can put the technical fabrication specs that are set at the factory for each like the fill rates and bandwidth on their website. It would still be up to the laptop OEMs to detail the rest of the specs on things they can control like memory speeds and whatnot.

I do not see Nvidia hiding anything as it would make no sense to do so. Each GPU is bought by OEMs for different laptop performance needs (power consumption over performance or performance over power consumption). I simply see this as a disconnect between the laptop OEMs and Nvidia as well as a fail by marketing. A simple ten minute decision on a conference call could have prevented this.  ::)

mteechan

A quick reminder here, Xiaomi Pro also uses a low power MX150, but overclocked out of the box.
zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/28344462 This Article already informed of the two versions of MX150 months ago.

kyle

So wondering if anyone else can test. My mi book goes to 1582/1252 when gaming, though I do have the lower end model.

Francisco

There are more verions or at least one more.

My Xiaomi notebook pro has different version. The frecuencies are 1252/1341.

It is a screenshot: uploads.disquscdn.com/images/e45654c0338cb2042be395649b760d3359db597c2d7cb7b35ffeb88069f56450.gif (I don't have enought points to insert links)

Vadim

Dimm74

Quote from: Vadim on March 24, 2018, 13:41:06
Someone with Asus Vivobook s15 s510un. Please tell me what mx150 do you have?
Quote from: Vadim on March 24, 2018, 13:41:06
Someone with Asus Vivobook s15 s510un. Please tell me what mx150 do you have?
1D10, S510un ok)

MigRath

For anyone who purchased a laptop with the underperforming MX150 GPU: The law firm of Migliaccio and Rathod LLP has recently opened an investigation into Nvidia's deceptive marketing of the GPU. As the article notes, it is difficult to know which MX150 chip a notebook or ultrabook uses. Considering the fact that the slower MX150 variant takes a 20-25% performance hit over its identically-named counterpart, this is no small issue.

Google Migliaccio & Rathod to find their website, then click on 'Blog' to find more information. I am unable to post links here.

jabjab

I have a notebook pro  with i5 and 8gb ram.
What I have discovered is that if you run GPU-Z it will show 1252 for both core and memory frequency.
But if you enable the option to save the sensor info to a log file and start a demanding game, when I go back to the log  file the memory has stayed constant at 1252 but the core goes all the way up to around 1600 (1632 was my max), as soon as you switch apps away from game it drops all the way down

Jon Peterson

Costco is selling a HP laptop with a 4GB NVIDIA GeForce MX150 Graphics. I can't find a 4 GB, only 2 GB listed?

HP ENVY 17t Laptop - Intel Core i7 - •4GB NVIDIA GeForce MX150 Graphics- 1080p

rmcrys

I already spent weeks ago but the post was not updated:

The Asus Zenbook Flip 14, UX461UN (at least my version, the i5, 8 GB RAM) comes with slower model.  Nevertheless playing complex games makes the computer very hot,  I can't imagine with the i7 and the fastest mx150!

I overclocked it to the Xiaomi Pro values (I didn't change the voltage) and it handles it very well.

On my setup the core goes up to 1252 , video RAM up to 1700, nevertheless it brings no real benefit to the cooler 1150 core, 1582 RAM. I think the RAM is the same for all just away different speeds according to the core,  the core nevertheless has two qualities: good faster speed or lower quality and speed

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview